The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 11:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hello,

I don't normally rant after doing games, but this spring league that is going on really takes the cake.

I have the double header last night. 2 x 25min straight time halves.

First game, my P is trail and on 1st three foul calls of the game at the one end (in this spring league getting the ball back into play is more important than switching) and I'm the L. He is really closing down, I mean really closing down. On the 3rd call he makes, which occured right in front of the basket, I look up to find him and he is 2 feet from the baseline!!! I don't think he needs to be blowing his whistle anyways, since I have the calls without problem.

(We're both what we call a "level 3" on our board, which is the best you can get without getting into University ball. Some level 3's are level 3's out of appeasement, others are so because they're quality officials.)

Anyways, my point is that he's not all that great of an official, but he thinks he is. I tried to talk to him about mechanics and positioning and not always having a double whistle. He also signals a 3pt attempt when I'm L and it's 4 feet from me. I asked him what was happening on the blocks when he was looking at where the shooter was shooting from? He couldn't answer. No kidding eh?

Had two games of this crap.

Then there are the players.

Sitch 1: Elbow to the chest, defender goes to the ground. Tweet. "Player." "What? How can you make that call? That's bull****."

Sitch 2: 3pt attempt, foul land extended, 4 feet out. Nice shot, defender puts hand in shooter's face for distraction. I release on shooter to look at high elbow action. Look back at shooter - see defender's hand following through, hits shooter in chest, and continues down contact to shooter's tummy. Tweet. "Count 4." (We automatically count FTs.) "What? That is a horrible call. Did you even see what happened?" (And he's in my face.) Tweet. "T" Teammates help him to the side during more cussing. Defender gets away, come back at me and is in my face. Before he says anything, Tweet. "T, you're gone. Count 4." (Two T's.) I ask people after the game about the foul. 3 people (out of 3) agree that it was a foul.

All for $22 CANADIAN dollars. I wonder if Buffalo needs officials?

Bye, thanks for listening.

Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quick question - maybe it's due to exchange rates, but why did you "count four" on the initial foul?
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 12:42pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quick question - maybe it's due to exchange rates, but why did you "count four" on the initial foul?
3+1 for the foul. Has to be.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 12:53pm

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Correct-a-mundo.

Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 01:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
[B(We're both what we call a "level 3" on our board, which is the best you can get without getting into University ball. Some level 3's are level 3's out of appeasement, others are so because they're quality officials.)
[/B]
Sooooooo,Mikey,what kind of "level 3" are you?

PEASE!
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Has to be?

I can think of at least one other situation which would result in "counting four." Can anyone else?
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 04:27pm
9 times

I know perfectly well that there is another scenario where you could score 4. Made basket with an intentional foul (2 for the basket and 2 shots for the foul)--but reading the scenario (3 pt attempt), i knew what he was referring to. Hence, the "has to be."

Let's not read too much into this.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Mike got to level 3 because he can order a mean pizza!!! it only takes him 2 hours to do it.

ok inside joke

Mikey, send this guy to MDP

Tyler
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 03:46pm

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
Mike got to level 3 because he can order a mean pizza!!! it only takes him 2 hours to do it.

ok inside joke

Mikey, send this guy to MDP

Tyler
TYLER! How are you bud! What is new?

Thanks for making my day! Reading this was the most I've laughed today!

Inside story: I'm evaluating at a provincial camp a couple years ago and I was placed in charge of finding out what everyone wanted on their pizza, getting $$$ from everyone, ordering it, and ensuring the driver made it to our hotel ok.

From the time we all decided to get a pizza to the time we took the first bite, 2 hours had passed. I don't think I lived it down the entire week!

Oh yeah Tyler: he's been to the camp up north... he should know better. Having a career in computer software/systems quality assurance, sometimes I think that I am too anal about proven officiating habits.

Mikey
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, Pizza boy.....
ever considered a career change??

Boston Pizza is hiring delivery boys.

TR
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 03:57pm

Quote:
Hey, Pizza boy.....

TR
Nah, I'm a techno-geek. Besides, if I'd become a delivery person, I'd at least go to somewhere with good pizza, like Pizza Hut.

Oh yeah, Tyler reminded me: we also have Boston Pizza here, for those who've read All About Boston.

Mikey
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 04:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Hey, Pizza boy.....

TR
Nah, I'm a techno-geek. Besides, if I'd become a delivery person, I'd at least go to somewhere with good pizza, like Pizza Hut.

Oh yeah, Tyler reminded me: we also have Boston Pizza here, for those who've read All About Boston.

Mikey
Boston Pizza has never won a World Series either!
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I worked at BP here in Belleville, and i'd say- go with Pizza Pizza. only draw back is- they sell pepsi, not coke,or Molson's.

big turn off.

Go leafs!
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 05:42pm

Quote:
I worked at BP here in Belleville, and i'd say- go with Pizza Pizza. only draw back is- they sell pepsi, not coke,or Molson's.

big turn off.

Go leafs!
Tyler, how is your officiating going? You can reply by private e-mail if you wish.