The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 10:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Congrats to GF

The George Fox women's basketball team beat Washington University of St. Louis 60-53 to win the women's DIII championship. The Lady Bruins finished the season undefeated at 32-0. George Fox is located in Newberg, OR., not too far from where I live.

Not a bad season at all.

HOLLAND, Mich. (AP) — George Fox won its first NCAA Division III women’s championship Saturday, beating Washington, Mo., 60-53 behind Kristen Shielee’s 17 points to finish the season at 32-0.

Elise Kuenzi added 14 points and Sage Indendi 13 for George Fox, the sixth unbeaten Division III national champion. The Bruins hadn’t advanced past the round of 16 before this season.

Zoe Unruh and Janice Evans scored 11 points apiece for Washington (26-5). The Bears, of St. Louis, were denied their fifth national title and first since an unprecedented four-year reign in Division III ended in 2001.

The title game was played before a crowd of 1,830 at DeVos Fieldhouse at Hope College.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a 5th grade tournament yesterday where most of the teams were from Christian schools, many of the people had attended GF or had relatives or friends that had. When I got the news (someone called my cell phone and told me) I started yelling, and soon everyone was clapping, yelling, laughing, celebrating. The girls that were playing really had a different attitude yesterday, playing harder and smarter than I've seen these teams play in the past. Really inspired. Great day for sure!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

The Washington U. that George Fox defeated, is that the same school that produced the D-III Men's champion?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:03am
Esteemed Participant

Yep. Same school. The Men's are back-to-back champions, and the Women's were back-to-back champs in 1999-2000. Pretty impressive records for that school.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:08am
Ref Ump Welsch

Washington U of St. Louis has a very strong athletic department. Any time a coaching vacancy happens there, they usually have tons of applicants. A friend of mine who wanted to coach there never got an interview, but ended up at another DII or DIII school without a problem. Tells you the quality of the applicants!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Washington U of St. Louis has a very strong athletic department. Any time a coaching vacancy happens there, they usually have tons of applicants. A friend of mine who wanted to coach there never got an interview, but ended up at another DII or DIII school without a problem. Tells you the quality of the applicants!
They're also probably one of the best schools academics-wise west of the Mississippi. Pretty impressive how good they are athletically considering how tough they are academically.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
They're also probably one of the best schools academics-wise west of the Mississippi.
It's testimony to the truth of your claim that they discourage the use of constructions like 'academics-wise'.