The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:12am
rei

Congrats Tim C!

Tim C was one of two umpires selected by the commissioner of the Portland Baseball Umpires Association to work Oregon's top classification state championship game.

Congrats Tim. My only advice: Don't suck!
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Good for you, Tee.

Hope you have a nice 1-0, 90-minute special.

Ace
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Hey,

Thanks Rei. I just hope I do as well as last year's plate guy.

Regards,
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:42am
Archaic Power Monger

Congrats, Tim! You work two man for the play offs?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Congratulations, Tim! Give 'em HELL!
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 10:06am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Attaboy, Tim C !!
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 10:11am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
my thought initially as well but after reading it again i think that their association (portland) got two slots in it out of the three or four and he was one of those two
3 man throughout the playoffs, including the state championship game in Oregon.

Our association gets 2 of those 3 spots every year because we service about 2/3 of the top classification teams in the state.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

WOW, one association puts 2 out of the 3 umpires in the top game every year! where do we sign up?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Congrats Tim... and thanks for the FED updates you give us throughout the year.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 12:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
my thought initially as well but after reading it again i think that their association (portland) got two slots in it out of the three or four and he was one of those two
Ah good point, I just need to read it better.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:33pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATUMP
WOW, one association puts 2 out of the 3 umpires in the top game every year! where do we sign up?
Hey, we also have a guy in the next level down, and a guy on the next level down from that. So, at least 4 guys every year from our association, and about every 4th or 5th year, we send a 5th umpire!

In the old days, the top game circulated amongst associations throughout the state. So, we used to send a whole crew, but only did that once every 4 years or so. I like this new system where you send the number of guys based upon how many of the schools you service at that level in the state. That also means that associations that only serve lower level schools don't have an umpire slot except at the level they service. Our association is by and far the largest in the state, and we service all levels for the 75 or so high schools we service.

It is indeed a very big honor to be selected to do the top level game! Generally speaking, only umpires with collegiate experience get the top two levels now.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATUMP
Of the 10 or so associations in the state, PDX gets 2 slots because of the population with the others rotating through. The associations nominate who goes. It's similar for all sports. Does take the politics out of it (sort of).

Tim, is it one crew of 3 working all classes? Salem or Portland this year?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:07pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ

Tim, is it one crew of 3 working all classes? Salem or Portland this year?
Yes. Championship games are at Volcano Stadium in Salem/Kaiser.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Hey, we also have a guy in the next level down, and a guy on the next level down from that. So, at least 4 guys every year from our association, and about every 4th or 5th year, we send a 5th umpire!

In the old days, the top game circulated amongst associations throughout the state. So, we used to send a whole crew, but only did that once every 4 years or so. I like this new system where you send the number of guys based upon how many of the schools you service at that level in the state. That also means that associations that only serve lower level schools don't have an umpire slot except at the level they service. Our association is by and far the largest in the state, and we service all levels for the 75 or so high schools we service.

It is indeed a very big honor to be selected to do the top level game! Generally speaking, only umpires with collegiate experience get the top two levels now.
By "top level" do you mean the largest schools? We have five classifications, and working the final in any of them is an equal honor. By the time you get to the finals, all teams are fairly equal in talent, and, as a matter of fact, one of the smallest schools is currently ranked 1st overall in the state.

Why require college experience in a high school game? I meet that requirement, but I have some high school partners who are very, very good (better than some of my college partners), but do not have the time to devote to college ball.

Why exclude an umpire from working a classification just because he does not work that classification during the regular season? Are the rules different?
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Tim C was one of two umpires selected by the commissioner of the Portland Baseball Umpires Association to work Oregon's top classification state championship game.

Congrats Tim. My only advice: Don't suck!
Cool and should be lots of fun. But with playoffs, we always hope for a good game ...

What an honor!

Thanks
David