The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Congrats!!!

Congrats to icallfouls!!!!

He was just selected to represent our association in the Oregon 5A/6A Boys State Tournament. While not his first tournament, it is his first at this level.

A big, whopping, way-to-go!!!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Congrats to icallfouls!!!!

He was just selected to represent our association in the Oregon 5A/6A Boys State Tournament. While not his first tournament, it is his first at this level.

A big, whopping, way-to-go!!!
Wa-hoo!! Way to go, Jim! You deserve it without any question!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Congrats to icallfouls for your assignment.

Camron, could you clarify what that assignment means. Does that mean he will be working the State Championship game or does that mean he is working a level close to the State Championship game?

Peace
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Camron, could you clarify what that assignment means. Does that mean he will be working the State Championship game or does that mean he is working a level close to the State Championship game?

Peace
In Oregon the state quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finals are all played over a weekend. 5A and 6A levels are played in the same gyms on the same weekend. The associations each choose a few refs to go to the tournament. Every ref that's chosen works one game every day. Of the 12 or so that work the tournament, 2 will work the 5A championship, and 2 the 6A. If I were to do the choosing, icallfouls (Jim) would definitely get to do whichever one he wants.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
Our process selects 19 official to travel to the various final tournament sites....where 8 teams in each classification (6A-largest, 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A-smallest) play a single elimination bracket (plus consolation games) for the state championship. Unless I'm mistaken, there are 12 officials at each tournament. Our allotment, based on the proportion of the schools we serve in each classification gives us 6, 6, 1, 2, 2, and 2 in each tournament.

As for Jim's tourney, the 5A and 6A boys play seperate brackets the same site. So, the 6 we send, along with the other 6 from the rest of the state, work the quarterfinals, semi-finals, and finals for both brackets. There are only 4 games the first day so only 8 work on Wednesday, but there are 6 games on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so all 12 work those days....everyone gets either 3 or 4 games. The first couple of days of games (quarterfinals and some consolation games) are predetermined but the semis/finals assignments are determined at the tourney.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 01:49am.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 06:24am
Huck Finn

Does Oregon use two-man for state too?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
In Oregon the state quarter-finals, semi-finals, and finals are all played over a weekend. 5A and 6A levels are played in the same gyms on the same weekend. The associations each choose a few refs to go to the tournament. Every ref that's chosen works one game every day. Of the 12 or so that work the tournament, 2 will work the 5A championship, and 2 the 6A. If I were to do the choosing, icallfouls (Jim) would definitely get to do whichever one he wants.
Two person? No three person crews even for the State Championship? What's the reason? Is it budgets? I heard from a freind that moved to Arizona that the state tried 3 person but it was a disaster and they reverted back to two person crews. Did your state have a similar experience?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Congrats Jim! Way to go!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Two person? No three person crews even for the State Championship? What's the reason? Is it budgets? I heard from a freind that moved to Arizona that the state tried 3 person but it was a disaster and they reverted back to two person crews. Did your state have a similar experience?
Yep, 2 person...even at State. I think the reason is that they don't want officials working a new system at the tourney....the coverage will be better with officials working what they know. Some do work college and know 3 person, but not all.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cam and Juulie,

Thanks for the clarification. Your system sounds a lot like our system except we work 3 Person for all of our games and we do not call that level the State Tournament, we call it the State Finals. I just wanted to make sure he was working a higher level than I first thought.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Icallfouls is doing State??? What idiot made that decision? Good grief...

Just kidding - Jim knows that something like this can't occur without catching some crap from his buddies.

Way to go Jim!! Kinda makes up for some of the other "stuff" this season, doesn't it!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats!! Enjoy
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Camron - congrats to you as well for being on the cusp of getting a state assignment as well. I noticed you were the next one on the list. What a difference a vote makes, eh?

I always enjoy looking at the table of results and seeing who ended up where. I was quite surprised to see my namesake as high on the list as he was. I just don't get it, but maybe he's better than I give him credit for.

Anyway...well done for being so high on the list!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Camron - congrats to you as well for being on the cusp of getting a state assignment as well. I noticed you were the next one on the list. What a difference a vote makes, eh?
There were 7 of us clustered tightly...less than 2 school votes apart....5 made it, 2 didn't. (association votes and school votes are weighted differently...giving fractional total votes.) With 1 more school vote, I would have moved up 3 spots or 1 more offiical vote, I'd be up 2 spots. Either would have had me in.

Here is how it looked...14th through 20th....school vote = 1, officials vote = 0.435. I'm the one in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I always enjoy looking at the table of results and seeing who ended up where. I was quite surprised to see my namesake as high on the list as he was. I just don't get it, but maybe he's better than I give him credit for.
True...I've seen officials that I've thought were fairly poor officials only to see them a year or two later and be impressed. Officals (hopefully most) improve...some more than others. Officials all have an occassional bad game. If you saw me 10 years ago, you'd have laughed if someone mentioned I'd ever be near a varsity game much less a tourney. I had a lot to learn and its taken me a while but I get better every year....and will keep pushing to improve.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 04:01pm
Esteemed Participant

So the school (read as Coach) vote is worth more than twice as much as your peer votes or evaluation? Why????