The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

let's look at the monitor

In NCAA can the officials go to the monitor to decide if they should award a one-and-one or two throws after a foul is called? Ed Hightower seemed to do this in the Big Ten Championship game.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
In NCAA can the officials go to the monitor to decide if they should award a one-and-one or two throws after a foul is called? Ed Hightower seemed to do this in the Big Ten Championship game.

No, you cannot do that. However, I watch Ed, Teddy, and John Cahill a few weeks ago go to the monitor to determine whether the foul was in the act of shooting or should be a 1 and 1. Apparently, if you spend more time on tv than Oprah, the rules don't matter and you can use the monitor anytime you want to, even if the rules don't allow it. Obviously, there were no repercussions from what they did. He's still in every big game.

CH
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

It didn't slow things down at all and if it helped them get it right I guess that is what is important.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Getting it right is one thing, but going outside what the rules allow is another. The rulebook is very specific on what he "shall" and "may" use the monitor to determine. Neither of these is in the book at the present time. It's completely ridiculous that some people are allowed to do whatever they want just because they have a name. Doing things like that opens up a huge can of worms, in the game. Coaches will want you reviewing everything that happens.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Very good point!
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Getting it right is one thing, but going outside what the rules allow is another. The rulebook is very specific on what he "shall" and "may" use the monitor to determine. Neither of these is in the book at the present time. It's completely ridiculous that some people are allowed to do whatever they want just because they have a name. Doing things like that opens up a huge can of worms, in the game. Coaches will want you reviewing everything that happens.
So you talked to the officials and know what they were looking at the monitor for?

Peace
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Good call Jeff.

I believe they went to the monitor, because Ohio State tried to send the wrong guy to the line to shoot the FT's, and the officials wanted to get the right shooter.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember correctly, they looked once to see if they had the right shooter and another to see if it was a two or a three. Though when they looked to get the right shooter, it seemed that they went from a non-shooting foul to a shooting foul (though the commentators may have just missed the original signal of two shots...definitely wouldn't be the first time)
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 08:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanRT View Post
If I remember correctly, they looked once to see if they had the right shooter and another to see if it was a two or a three. Though when they looked to get the right shooter, it seemed that they went from a non-shooting foul to a shooting foul (though the commentators may have just missed the original signal of two shots...definitely wouldn't be the first time)
And this is the reason why I asked the question. Unless any of us know what the officials did by talking to them, we cannot listen to the commentators as the law.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 10:21am
Ref Ump Welsch

The crew in the SEC championship game went to the monitor to check if the ball hadn't been touched by the offense as it was going into the hoop on a foul. I can't remember which team or who, etc., but I thought was unusual as well.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanRT View Post
Not a basketball official but I enjoy reading posts from other sports. The play I remember was Hightower called a non-shooting foul underneath the hoop on a hold off a pass. He called the foul and pointed at the offender and then stepped onto the floor with both arms raised and the index finger raised. Some time passed, and when the FT's were to be administrated Diebler was at the line, but he wasn't the shooter (he was at half court when the foul happened). The Lead official indicated 1-1 and was ready to throw to the shooter, but they were interuppted.The crew was a little confused it seemed and they went to the monitor briefly and put the correct shooter on the line, and then signaled two shots. All the players on the lane line tried making a play on the first shot, it was missed, thinking it was still a 1-1. Don't know why it changed other than maybe it was the 10th foul to go into the double bonus and hightower didn't know that yet. Just describing the situation that I remember.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 12:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

My post was deleted but I predicted a replay review involving Hightower and Deibler.