The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Tip or catch and shoot w .3 sec left.

In the WBB game between Cal and USC yesterday, the way I read the report, the rules state that with .3 seconds or less on the clock, a player can't catch and shoot, only tip a ball into the basket. Cal lobbed a pass in and it was caught and shot off the backboard for the apparent score sending the game into overtime. It was disallowed because of the rule. Do they have the same rule in the Men's game? I confess that I was not aware of this rule. What is the rule number?

I am glad USC won - I am an alum, but this is an interesting rule.

Gavin Craig
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 5-1-9
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

It is correct in college both mens and womens and high school. The only way one could score is by a tap.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 03:44pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

High school (Fed):

5-2 (Scoring):

ART. 5 . . . When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 06:22pm
#thereferee99

Quizzicle Quomments

From the article:

Quote:
With 0.3 seconds remaining on the clock, Cal was awarded possession just beyond its bench. Junior guard Lauren Grief lobbed the ball to Walker, who appeared to haul in the pass and score as time expired.

But the play was far from cut-and-dry. The officiating crew of Bob Scofiled, Brenda Pantoya and Chuck Gonzalez huddled together to review it for nearly 11 minutes before wiping off the basket. Cal coach Joanne Boyle claimed she was given no clarification for the decision. She didn't say whether she intended to protest the call, only that she'd like to speak to the head of officials.

"There was no explanation," Boyle said. "They just ended the game and walked off the court."

According to Scofiled, the rule is clear.

"At the three-tenths of a second, you can only tip at the basket," he said. "We determined that it was gathered and that the shot was no good. We wanted to know if the clock had started on time to make sure everything was good."
Why does it matter whether the clock started on time, if you are ruling that the player caught and then shot?

Article Link
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

The officials at this game watched numerous replays in the fifteen or so minutes that they looked at this play.

Why did it take them so long? Once she caught it, the game was over.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 03:27am
In Time Out

geez that was weird. I hate when replays take too long. GIVE THEM TIME RESTRICTIONS! I saw the play today and it is completely obvious she caught the ball. Strange as it may seem but my only explanation is that the refs did not know the rule.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 06:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
geez that was weird. I hate when replays take too long. GIVE THEM TIME RESTRICTIONS! I saw the play today and it is completely obvious she caught the ball. Strange as it may seem but my only explanation is that the refs did not know the rule.
Or they knew it but simply over-analyzed the play due to the stakes.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 10:44am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
High school (Fed):

5-2 (Scoring):

ART. 5 . . . When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score.
Interestingly no such rule exists in FIBA..... BUT it is a good rule of thumb to follow.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Or they knew it but simply over-analyzed the play due to the stakes.
There is nothing in the rules that allow for going to the monitor to see if it was tapped or caught - this is a judgment call. The crew chief had an incident last year where he set aside a rule at the end of a game that cost the crew suspensions. Just goes to show that as you move up, don't assume that the more experienced officials know the rules any more than anyone else. Your knowledge might just save you and the crew from missing a rule. I heard a story about the U2 saving a crew in his 1st playoff game on a rule interp. and was rewarded with multiple rounds the following year. Be ready!!
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Any video links of this play? It would be interesting to see. I am shocked I can't find it on youtube

-Josh
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 02:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
geez that was weird. I hate when replays take too long. GIVE THEM TIME RESTRICTIONS!
On the contrary, in one of the NCAA bulletins this season, John Adams told officials not to assume that they were seeing all the available replay angles. They were instructed to ask the truck for any additional angles on the play.

So not only is there not a time limit, but they're supposed to ask for MORE video if they don't have a conclusive angle.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 03:24pm
In Time Out

couldn't find the video. did find this gem though

YouTube - 2 Amazing buzzer beaters in a college basketball game.

Last edited by mutantducky; Tue Mar 17, 2009 at 03:33pm.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the video

Blinkx Video: Pac10 Women: Cal Falls At Buzzer, Stanford Wins
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
couldn't find the video. did find this gem though

YouTube - 2 Amazing buzzer beaters in a college basketball game.
Wow, I'm taking Chicago State in my bracket!