The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

SEC Tourney Enforcement

Do the officials in the SEC not enforce the shirt in the pant rule. Throughout the first two contests in Tampa today players had shirts hanging out and no correction was made by the officials. What's going on?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:13am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Maybe they were a little too busy actually officiating the game???
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 06:00am
Official Forum Member

It's in the rule book

First, case in point. Having players with shirts tucked in is in the rule book...should it not be enforced. Tallest player on court shirt hanging out and official standing next to him. C'mon enforce the rule.
As for too busy officiating the game...the KY-Ole Miss game was very sloppy and the crew if at best was at a "C" level. Seems the SEC officials see themselves as bigger than the game.
The crew for Miss State and Georgia, also, did not enforce the rule, but much better job on the court.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Maybe they were a little too busy actually officiating the game???
Brad...you don't think there were any stoppages of play where the officials could have addressed this? Come on be serious here.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:07pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkirk View Post
As for too busy officiating the game...the KY-Ole Miss game was very sloppy and the crew if at best was at a "C" level.
I'm sorry, I didn't see your qualifications listed in your last 7 posts.

Quote:
Seems the SEC officials see themselves as bigger than the game.
Comments like these are so absurd and based in nothing but your own biases and opinions -- not in truth or facts in any way.

I assure you that there aren't too many coaches, especially in the SEC tournament, calling the coordinator of officials to complain about untucked shirttails.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:09pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Brad...you don't think there were any stoppages of play where the officials could have addressed this? Come on be serious here.
I am serious. We've got some posters on this board that are so focused on the minutiae of officiating that they completely miss the big picture.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First, case in point. Having players with shirts tucked in is in the rule book...should it not be enforced. Tallest player on court shirt hanging out and official standing next to him. C'mon enforce the rule.
As for too busy officiating the game...the KY-Ole Miss game was very sloppy and the crew if at best was at a "C" level. Seems the SEC officials see themselves as bigger than the game.
The crew for Miss State and Georgia, also, did not enforce the rule, but much better job on the court.
There are no "C" Div 1 Officials working any top tier Conference Tournament.

UK/Miss Game Officials: Mike Stuart ,Doug Sirmons ,J.B. Caldwell

Miss St/UG Game Officials: Tom Eades ,Bert Smith ,Rick Crawford
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Did they completely miss any plays?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am serious. We've got some posters on this board that are so focused on the minutiae of officiating that they completely miss the big picture.
Brad,

We still need to have players tuck in the shirts during the game...we have plenty of opportunities to take care of this.

I understand your comments about missing the big picture.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
EXACTLY!!!!!!

Quote:
Brad,

We still need to have players tuck in the shirts during the game...we have plenty of opportunities to take care of this.

I understand your comments about missing the big picture.
I agree we should have players tucking in their jerseys, but it is not the most important thing. And some supervisors are anal about this and others do not care. I am sure if the supervisors cared, they would say something. But for us to watch this from a far and complain as if the officials missed a block/charge call or called something that did not happen is ridiculous if you ask me.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!

I agree we should have players tucking in their jerseys, but it is not the most important thing. And some supervisors are anal about this and others do not care. I am sure if the supervisors cared, they would say something. But for us to watch this from a far and complain as if the officials missed a block/charge call or called something that did not happen is ridiculous if you ask me.

Peace
When in Rome does as the Romans do...but you really can never go wrong when you follow the rule book and manuals (NFHS or CCA).
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
When in Rome does as the Romans do...but you really can never go wrong when you follow the rule book and manuals (NFHS or CCA).
No one said not to follow the rules. The officials in question might hear something for not following the rules. But I bet no one is going to be held back because a kid or two at one time during the game did not have their jersey tucked in. One situation does not always have to immediately exclude the other and I think that is the point Brad referenced and this is certainly applies to my comments as well. Because if you are worried about that rule, then I could go to your game and nit-pick some rule you are not following to the letter. And based on your comments here over some time, I have a feeling you are not applying rules in the rulebook without consideration of other factors.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And based on your comments here over some time, I have a feeling you are not applying rules in the rulebook without consideration of other factors.

Peace
This is true, and you know that we use the rule book as a guide and judgement and game experience go a long way.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As for too busy officiating the game...the KY-Ole Miss game was very sloppy and the crew if at best was at a "C" level.
Sloppy games can make the best officials "look" bad, but this may be the dumbest thing said on this board so far this year.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Wanna bet???

I have no idea what level anyone else here works, but I can tell you from firsthand knowledge that enforcing something that is "in the book" but is not considered important by a conference supervisor can lead to a shorter career of working for that conference.

I would guess that the SEC commish and supervisor have told the officials that untucked shirts are NOT to be a priority at this tournament. If so, then those officials will do what they need to do to continue working at that level - regards of whether any HS officials sitting on their a$$e$ at home think the shirts should be tucked in or not.