The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 11:04pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Division A and Division B double header. (Why two divisons? so there can be more champions.) Different stuff happens to us sometimes.

A received throw-in under B basket, no dribble, started to shoot and held up. Pivot never came off the floor. Dribbles the other way. Fans said I should call something. Didn't.

Table buzzes and partner is told #55 is not in the book. I went over to check and found the scorekeeper had the number, but wrote it down wrong. Play on.

Partner administers throw-in. 6 players on the floor. I called a foul as 6th kid runs off. I whacked ‘em. (Sadly, that was a first 6 player ever for me.)

After a 30, A comes out to shoot two free throws. Shooter and two 2nd spot teammates. I blow the whistle once. Two second later, I blow the whistle again. B hasn’t broken the huddle. I administer the free throw, … miss. B shows up. I tell ‘em “Two”. Fans tried to correct me. Still shot two more.

A1’s glasses get bent. A1 gets sent to the bench. Coach grabs clipbboard for a new play. “Let’s go Coach! “

B goes to floor (Owey!). My time! Both teams huddle. I check with partner. No time out requested. LetÂ’s go.

B by 20. 1 minute in 4th. Very excited 3’4” B player (just got in) fast break dribbles down the floor 8’ behind me and over my shoulder. Looses control but touches it with both hands. Starts dribbling again and looses dribble, and uses other hand again. (His eyes are as big as saucers. Very pumped.) Gets off shot, … air ball. What violation?

mick
Jr. High Ref

Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:26am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Division A and Division B double header. (Why two divisons? so there can be more champions.) Different stuff happens to us sometimes.

A received throw-in under B basket, no dribble, started to shoot and held up. Pivot never came off the floor. Dribbles the other way. Fans said I should call something. Didn't.

Table buzzes and partner is told #55 is not in the book. I went over to check and found the scorekeeper had the number, but wrote it down wrong. Play on.

Partner administers throw-in. 6 players on the floor. I called a foul as 6th kid runs off. I whacked ‘em. (Sadly, that was a first 6 player ever for me.)

After a 30, A comes out to shoot two free throws. Shooter and two 2nd spot teammates. I blow the whistle once. Two second later, I blow the whistle again. B hasn’t broken the huddle. I administer the free throw, … miss. B shows up. I tell ‘em “Two”. Fans tried to correct me. Still shot two more.

A1’s glasses get bent. A1 gets sent to the bench. Coach grabs clipbboard for a new play. “Let’s go Coach! “

B goes to floor (Owey!). My time! Both teams huddle. I check with partner. No time out requested. LetÂ’s go.

B by 20. 1 minute in 4th. Very excited 3’4” B player (just got in) fast break dribbles down the floor 8’ behind me and over my shoulder. Looses control but touches it with both hands. Starts dribbling again and looses dribble, and uses other hand again. (His eyes are as big as saucers. Very pumped.) Gets off shot, … air ball. What violation?

mick
Jr. High Ref

mick:

Gee whiz, sounds like typical seventh grade games to me.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

So mick, what unusual happen?

Peace
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Ya gotta admit. If the coaches and parents don't get in the way this age and their enthusiasm can be a lot fun.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
If the coaches and parents don't get in the way ...
That's a mighty big IF!!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Juulie, late night? Got a kid who's up early? Hope you get time for a nap today!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Juulie, late night? Got a kid who's up early? Hope you get time for a nap today!
Just being fretful about some work things, nothing too serious other than money. Thought I'd read BBallCoaches latest and see if that would be restful and calming!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 10:06am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Ya gotta admit. If the coaches and parents don't get in the way this age and their enthusiasm can be a lot fun.

Reminds me of a CYO game I scored a few years ago. Our team was mostly 4th graders playing in a mostly-6th grade division (don't even get me started on that aspect). In this particular game, we were losing by 20+ in the final minute, but the kids played liked it was a tie game and the next basket would win. I'm always impressed when kids at that age seem to want to play hard, regardless of what the scoreboard says.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball