The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Duke-UNC Basket Interference?

Early in the second half, Danny Green (UNC) blocked Jon Scheyer's (Duke) layup. The ball had gone off the backboard but was still on its way up. Couldn't tell 100% whether or not the ball was in the cylinder, but for argument's sake, let's say it wasn't.

Did the officials make the right call here?
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

yes

4-34.3
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that was a good call, but I didn't see the offensive interverence call. I mean, I heard the call, but I ddnt see the play. Did anyone?

OOO, Singler, two charge calls!!
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
The call was correct. And the charge calls on Singler were correct as well.

I was happy to see Coach K get told by one official to knock it off with complaining to the officiating crew after the charge calls.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin View Post
The call was correct. And the charge calls on Singler were correct as well.
The second one BARELY correct, IMO.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Rule change this season

Goaltending 4-34.3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when that ball is touched by a player.
Rationale: Makes the difficultly of judging whether or not a try contacting the backboard is on its downward flight more discernable.
Commentary: It is sometimes difficult to determine during a try whether a ball that is above the level of the ring and contacts the backboard is on its downward flight. A ball on its downward flight during a field-goal try is one of the criteria for determining goaltending. This rules change eliminates the judgment of whether or not a ball that is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard is on its downward flight or not. If a try contacts the backboard above the level of the ring, it is considered to be on its downward flight. It is important to note that this rule only applies to a try.
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Early in the second half, Danny Green (UNC) blocked Jon Scheyer's (Duke) layup. The ball had gone off the backboard but was still on its way up. Couldn't tell 100% whether or not the ball was in the cylinder, but for argument's sake, let's say it wasn't.

Did the officials make the right call here?
It wasn't basket interference, it was goaltending.

In NCAA, once the ball comes off the backboard and has a chance to go in, it's goaltending whether it's on it's way up or down. Similiar to the NBA rule.

I'm not sure the ball had a chance to go in after watching the replay but in real time, I would have called it too.

In the first half, Green was called for offensive BI because he attempted to rebound the ball when it was still in the cylinder.

Other calls: I thought the block/charge calls were pretty good.

I thought the call on the Henderson/Hansbrough rebound situation was wrong.

I would love to see what Jamie Luckey saw in the foul against Thompson on the missed FT. From the camera angle, I could understand the call but he had the opposite angle.

Overall, I thought it was one of the better officiated ACC games I've seen this year. And I've seen a few.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
The second one BARELY correct, IMO.
How is a call NARELY correct?

And which call are you talking about?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Probably the same way it's "NARELY" correct - or is that "GNARLY". Tony, are you showing your surfer-dude side?

The one on the drive to the hoop where the defender jumped in with BARELY any time to spare. The slo-mo replay showed the defender had LGP, but just BARELY.

Clark Kellogg actually commented on the play, musing that there should be more "benefit of the doubt" to the offensive player, like there supposedly (?) is in the NBA. Don't think I agree, but a thoughtful comment, as opposed to his predecessor

Bottom line - I was just saying it was an awfully close play - one that's probably called a block as often as it's called a charge.

Last edited by canuckrefguy; Sun Mar 08, 2009 at 11:38pm. Reason: to add joke that will have people visualizing Tony as a surfer-dude
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Rule change this LAST season

Goaltending 4-34.3. When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when that ball is touched by a player.
Rationale: Makes the difficultly of judging whether or not a try contacting the backboard is on its downward flight more discernable.
Commentary: It is sometimes difficult to determine during a try whether a ball that is above the level of the ring and contacts the backboard is on its downward flight. A ball on its downward flight during a field-goal try is one of the criteria for determining goaltending. This rules change eliminates the judgment of whether or not a ball that is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard is on its downward flight or not. If a try contacts the backboard above the level of the ring, it is considered to be on its downward flight. It is important to note that this rule only applies to a try.
Fixed it for ya.

This rule change appeared in the NCAA book LAST season, but the committee didn't tell anyone about it. For some reason they made a big deal about announcing the change prior to this season.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

The block /charge calls on Singlar were spot on. I don't think they got the call right on the Zoubek call earlier in the first half where the other UNC player accidentally landed on his "unit" after Zoubek hit the floor. IMO, he was there before Green left the floor and took it square. Any other opinions on that call?

For the most part, I agree that it was well officiated. I did like the Henderson/Hansbrough rebounding foul b/c what I saw was Henderson with a clear shot at the ball while in the air and Hansbrough pushing him while in the air with his right hand. Although the push was not 'forceful' we all know that while in the air it does not take much to alter another persons flight which resulted in Henderson losing his advantageous position. JMO though.

Again, overall pretty good job in a very tough game with a lot riding on the results in terms of Conf Tourney seeding.