The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone every called basket interference during an ally-oop where it is an obvious pass but the player catches it above the cylinder and slams it? Technically this is BI but I was thinking I wouldn't call it in a game I'm officiating. Maybe if I saw it I would think differently.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Why?

Why in the world would you not call this. If it is a violation it is your job to make the call.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
Why in the world would you not call this. If it is a violation it is your job to make the call.
Well that's why I posted this question to think it over. If I saw it then maybe it would be an obvious call to me but you never know. Sometimes it's hard to judge if the ball is above the cylinder and if it's close in this example then I will probably let it go.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have called it before. You are correct, it sometimes is difficult to tell at what point the person going for the ball gets it and whether or not it is above the cylinder.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Case in point..

Back to the NBA, the other night Allen Iverson threw an OPP to someone, and the ball was going straight in the hoop for 3 pts, and it was definitely above and over the cylinder getting ready to go in, and was touched just for an instant to make sure it was going in i guess...but it was obviously Basket Interference... NO CALL.... but again this was the NBA, when do they ever do what they should...for the sake of the rules
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Case in point..

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Back to the NBA, the other night Allen Iverson threw an OPP to someone, and the ball was going straight in the hoop for 3 pts, and it was definitely above and over the cylinder getting ready to go in, and was touched just for an instant to make sure it was going in i guess...but it was obviously Basket Interference... NO CALL.... but again this was the NBA, when do they ever do what they should...for the sake of the rules
Did they count 2 points?