LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Another vote for #3....
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 07:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
...He Grabbed the ball one hand, brought it to his other hand, Held the ball...stayed in bounds, then made a direct pass to his teammate...
That's what I saw. To bring the ball from the front of his body and then make a behind the back pass demostrates control to me.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Clearly a backcourt violation.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

It's a BC violation.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That's what I saw. To bring the ball from the front of his body and then make a behind the back pass demostrates control to me.
If the player had touched the sideline before releasing the ball, which way would you have set the AP arrow? Assuming that you have stated that the official missed this call, you are saying that you would have given the visiting team the ball AND the arrow, correct? The white team had attained clear player control before stepping out of bounds.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 12:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
If the player had touched the sideline before releasing the ball, which way would you have set the AP arrow? Assuming that you have stated that the official missed this call, you are saying that you would have given the visiting team the ball AND the arrow, correct? The white team had attained clear player control before stepping out of bounds.
If the sequence was W32 OB, then W32 touches the ball while OB, black gets the throw-in and the arrow is set when the ball is at black's disposal for the throw-in.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If the sequence was W32 OB, then W32 touches the ball while OB, black gets the throw-in and the arrow is set when the ball is at black's disposal for the throw-in.
No, it isn't. When W32 attains player control (just prior to stepping on the sideline), then the ball would be given to Black for the violation of stepping out of bounds. Further, since White controlled the ball BEFORE stepping out of bounds, the AP arrow would be set AS SOON AS WHITE GAINED CONTROL -- pointing in the direction of Black.

My question is would you give Black the arrow based on what you have seen concerning White's control of the ball (if he had either stepped out of bounds or been guilty of a travel prior to tossing the ball into play)?

If so, then a BC violation would be correct if he stayed in bounds. If not, the official probably got this one right.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 12:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If the sequence was W32 OB, then W32 touches the ball while OB, black gets the throw-in and the arrow is set to white when the ball is at black's disposal for the throw-in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
No, it isn't. When W32 attains player control (just prior to stepping on the sideline), then the ball would be given to Black for the violation of stepping out of bounds. Further, since White controlled the ball BEFORE stepping out of bounds, the AP arrow would be set AS SOON AS WHITE GAINED CONTROL -- pointing in the direction of Black.

My question is would you give Black the arrow based on what you have seen concerning White's control of the ball (if he had either stepped out of bounds or been guilty of a travel prior to tossing the ball into play)?

If so, then a BC violation would be correct if he stayed in bounds. If not, the official probably got this one right.
If you re-read my statement, you will see that I (accidentally) left out a piece of information. I have added it in blue.

With me not including the blue statement, you don't have enough information to say that I am correct or incorrect.

You originally asked "If the player had touched the sideline before releasing the ball" which I erroneoulsy took to be "If the player had touched the sideline before touching the ball". My mistake.

Your claim re: setting the arrow is well taken, however.