The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Looks like backcourt violation to me...? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52081-looks-like-backcourt-violation-me.html)

zeedonk Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33am

Looks like backcourt violation to me...?

NJ HS boys 1st round playoff. The play is in the first 10 seconds of the video clip, right off the opening tip.

Is there some reason why this isn't a backcourt violation? Perhaps the officials just missed it (not to bash them, just asking)... I confess to having the occasional brain freeze off the opening tip as well- you get a state tournament game and all you want is for the game to start and the players go the right way and BAM, something weird happens that freezes you.

Here's the link. It's an 8 minute or so highlight video, so the whole thing might take a few minutes to load, but the play is right at the beginning.

Cape May County Gazette Sports :: South Jersey Sports: Wildwood-Paulsboro video highlights

bob jenkins Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeedonk (Post 585672)
Is there some reason why this isn't a backcourt violation?

1) The official judged that the player in white didn't have PC before he "threw the pass."

2) The official judged that the player in the red jersey touched the ball.

3) The officials missed it.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43am

Always listen to bob. ;)

My opinion is that this was a missed call. I paused the video at 0:05 and W32 clearly has two hands on the ball, and holding it, with his momentum carrying him OB. W32 clearly made a behind-the-back pass to save the ball from going OB, and the ball travelled to White's backcourt. When W12 touched the ball, a violation should have been called. Just like you said, these violations near the jump ball are tougher to nab.

bradfordwilkins Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24pm

I don't think player control was established so I've got no call on this.

eg-italy Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 585692)
I don't think player control was established so I've got no call on this.

Both hands on the ball looks to me like holding it.

Ciao

bradfordwilkins Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:37pm

I don't ever see both hands (but only watched it once to simulate an in game experience haha) I saw batting the ball around and fumbling around and a nifty recovery for the save behind the back...

fullor30 Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 585676)
1) The official judged that the player in white didn't have PC before he "threw the pass."

2) The official judged that the player in the red jersey touched the ball.

budjones05 Thu Mar 05, 2009 01:16pm

I'll take door number 3

captain Thu Mar 05, 2009 03:40pm

Good no call, noboday ever had possession

Adam Thu Mar 05, 2009 03:52pm

On first glance, it's a violation. On second view, it's a violation. U got caught off guard, I think.
He held it (even if briefly) before throwing it.

rockyroad Thu Mar 05, 2009 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585764)
On first glance, it's a violation. On second view, it's a violation. U got caught off guard, I think.
He held it (even if briefly) before throwing it.

Yeah, but would you still call it that way if the player was wearing a long-sleeved shirt under his jersey?? Huh?? Would ya???:p

Adam Thu Mar 05, 2009 05:07pm

If he had a medical waiver signed in triplicate, notarized and validated by the governor.

rockyroad Thu Mar 05, 2009 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 585781)
If he had a medical waiver signed in triplicate, notarized and validated by the governor.

What if it was in California and it was signed by the Governator???

JPaco54 Thu Mar 05, 2009 05:42pm

Obvious BC

Come on Y'all! He Grabbed the ball one hand, brought it to his other hand, Held the ball...stayed in bounds, then made a direct pass to his teammate. The call was missed. Obvious BC.

mutantducky Thu Mar 05, 2009 06:52pm

obvious? Ehh, no. Sure it is a bc but lots of refs at any level would have missed this call especially since it was coming off the jump.