Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Disconcertion by a mascot???

Is this possible?

Here's the situation, NFHS:

The layout of the gym is such that the crowd is on bleachers on either side of the court, and the wall are about 12 feet or so beyond the baseline. Team A has about six or so cheerleaders along the baseline on either side of the paint (nothing between the lane and the wall), and a mascot.

Team B is lined up to shoot a 2 shoot free throw in the first half. I had just called the foul, so I was near half court at the T position. The mascot behind the cheerleaders along the baseline across the court from the tableside and benches, so he's clearly in my line of sight. I'm standing back, observing for the first free throw, and notice quite clearly the mascot observing my partner bouncing B1 the ball to her for the free throw. He turns and looks at B1 and as soon as he notices she's settling in to shoot the free throw, mascot starts dancing/shuffling/whatever along the baseline and is crossing through the paint area (still OOB, behind partner and cheerleaders) right as the girl releases her attempt. I guess you could call is a somewhat 'animated' walk. In my opinion, this was about as pre-meditated as they come. As soon as the shot has missed, I tweet the whistle and go visit with partner at lead. He had an idea of what had happened. I told him that we're going to re-shoot the first free throw, and address game management regarding the mascot.

I asked at the table for game management. He was already walking over. I asked him "Please make sure that doesn't happen again," and he told me that he was "on it." As we shoot the free throws, admin is trying to look up under the mascot head and give him a tongue lashing.

The mascot was later spotted in the student section, sans head, looking very glum. No further problems.

My question: can the mascot disconcert? Were our actions allowable "by the book"? I think we did the common sense thing and followed the provisions of disconcertion, but I don't necessarily think that the mascot is a "member of the team", even though it certainly is a representative of it.

How would you handle this?

Last edited by rockchalk jhawk; Wed Mar 04, 2009 at 04:14pm. Reason: spelling
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

If it is that big of a problem, just have the mascot removed or removed from the area. I would not call this disconcertion as the rulebook states because that mostly involves the participants, not a fan, cheerleader or mascot. I do not think you have support though interpretations to actually apply disconcertion to this situation. Of course a Referee can rule on things that are not specifically covered in the rulebook, but that would be a stretch if you ask me.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm with Jeff on this one. I had a partner this year stop the game while a bunch of boys walked from one side of the court to the other; even took the ball back from the shooter because she was waiting. He then stood there and told them to hurry up.

I would never do that, this isn't golf.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rut. If anything, just have the mascot move. If there was a section of stands in that area, and the mascot was in the section jumping up and down, I would bet you wouldn't have thought twice about ignoring it. I feel the same way if the cheerleaders started waving their pom-poms and yelling and screaming. If they are interfering with play, move 'em. I've had some upset cheerleader coaches when I told them the squad couldn't stand on the baseline because there wasn't enough room for safety purposes since the area at the baseline wasn't deep enough to accommodate play.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

And you guys would feel the same way even if the mascot jumped into the area beyond the paint, right under the basket and started doing the hokey pokey while the shooter was attemping a FT?
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
And you guys would feel the same way even if the mascot jumped into the area beyond the paint, right under the basket and started doing the hokey pokey while the shooter was attemping a FT?
Yes, tell him to knock it off or just shaw him away if it really bothers you.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Yep. Tell him to knock it off or get game management to take care of him.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You mean if they came onto the court? As I said before, if it is a problem either throw them out of the game (Ask Curtis Shaw) or remove them from the spot. If you think I am giving another shot for something that did not have the mascot coming onto the court and grabbing the FT shooter, then you are mistaken. Disconcertion is about the participants. Mascots are not a participant. I just would not allow a mascot to come onto the court or close to the court that directly interfered with play. Jumping up and down near the sideline is not disconcertion in my opinion.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depends. If the mascot's doing the correct version, in keeping with the appropriate tradition, then I don't have a problem. If he's throwing a bunch of his own interpretations and making a mockery of the hallowed Hokey Pokey, then by all means, throw his a$$ out.

Seriously, how would you treat that different than fans behind the basket yelling and waving pictures of bricks? Or, what about the 3-year-old who gets away from mom while walking back from the concession stand and starts a temper tantrum in the same area because mom didn't buy the Skittles? 9-1-5 says no opponent shall disconcert the free thrower. So, while I understand the thought, there is no rules backing awarding another FT due to disconcertion. Ask for the ball back, tell him to stop, move him to a different spot, and start over. But there's no rule that says the player is allowed another attempt because someone's dancing funny.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 06:15pm
Administrator

Quote:

What you describe is not disconcertion, but would fall under the proviso where and official can charge a team with a TF because its followers act in a inappropriate manner, i.e., throwing rolls of toilet paper onto the court after the team scores its first basket of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

T.P. For Team Spirit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Throwing rolls of toilet paper onto the court after the team scores its first basket of the game.
To me, this would be worth the technical foul. Even if I lost the game by one point.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
What you describe is not disconcertion, but would fall under the proviso where and official can charge a team with a TF because its followers act in a inappropriate manner, i.e., throwing rolls of toilet paper onto the court after the team scores its first basket of the game.

MTD, Sr.
That is correct. The mascot is a team follower and his actions could result in a team technical foul, but he is not an opponent and therefore cannot commit disconcertion.

The result of the attempted FT should have stood.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Just wondering, didn't Curtis Shaw kick a Mascot out of a game a month or two ago?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05 View Post
Just wondering, didn't Curtis Shaw kick a Mascot out of a game a month or two ago?
Curtis Shaw ejects Rice Owl Mascot
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

thanks guys. fair enough. it has been fun that i've been able to say that i 'kicked' a mascot out though, even if it was the AD... it's actually pretty funny in retrospect.