The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Would you discuss this and possibly change the call??

First round tournament game. At the end of the 3rd qtr, a rebound is caught and in one motion shot back in from about 8 feet. The horn goes off definitely after the ball is released, but it is waived off by the C, who is opposite the table. Would you as the trail or lead ever go to the C and discuss it and possibly count the basket? They all got together at the qtr break and the other two said it should have counted and after the first horn, one of the officials came over and said "he knows he missed it" and then later during a FT, the calling official said "I missed it."

I officiate BB as well as the asst. coach for our HS, but do not work a full schedule so am unsure if this could have been handled another way, or if you just stick with the "we blew it" and move on.

I am just looking for what others may have done in this situation.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I would never take something like this "to the locker room." IOW, get together and get it right.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would never take something like this "to the locker room." IOW, get together and get it right.
I take this to mean: the other two officials should immediately bring what they have to the calling official, namely their certainty that the tap was completed before the horn. It is up to the calling official to change his call.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Come together and provide the calling official with the information and let them change their call...example: "Partner, that ball was out of the hand before the buzzer. We really need to count that basket." Do not try to over rule the call or anything like that.

Having said that, why in the world would the official say "I missed that" to the coaches, but not have the stones to fix it??? That is just stupid.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely discuss and fix it if the others are 100% certain.

-Josh
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT View Post
First round tournament game. At the end of the 3rd qtr, a rebound is caught and in one motion shot back in from about 8 feet. The horn goes off definitely after the ball is released, but it is waived off by the C, who is opposite the table. Would you as the trail or lead ever go to the C and discuss it and possibly count the basket? They all got together at the qtr break and the other two said it should have counted and after the first horn, one of the officials came over and said "he knows he missed it" and then later during a FT, the calling official said "I missed it."

I officiate BB as well as the asst. coach for our HS, but do not work a full schedule so am unsure if this could have been handled another way, or if you just stick with the "we blew it" and move on.

In my crews, we're more often then not receptive to help on this type of play. Assuming I was the 'C' and didn't have a great look at this play, I would expect one (if not both) of my partners to get me all the information I'd need to make the correct ruling on the floor. Sounds to me that not one of the guys had the "guts" to step up and say anything. In the end, it's more important to get the call correct than to "live with" an incorrect desicion.

This one is realativly easy to fix too... before the start of the 4Q get to both coaches and simply say "We discussed the play, the ball was in fact released prior to the horn to end the 3Q, by rule the made basket will count. It's ____ ball at half. Have a good 4Q. Thanks, coaches." Then instruct the scorekeeper and clock operator to add 2 points to whoever scored.

Second point - any partner that would throw me under the bus like what is in red above, would get blocked from my schedule PDQ....

My 2 cents...
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:26pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I would and have. Definitely immediately go to the calling official and tell him that you are 100% certain that the shot was released before the horn.

I had this happen in a HS tournament game a few years back at the end of a quarter. The official opposite the table counted the basket and it was *very clear* that the ball was released after the horn. I was table side and the coach behind me said, "No way Brad!"

I immediately went to the calling official and said that the shot was late. He hesitated for a minute and went to ask our other official (Brendan / BBall_Junkie) for confirmation. Brendan didn't see it, but said, "If Brad says he's 100% it's 100%." and we disallowed the basket.

I looked at the coach who the call went against and he just nodded his head and went into his huddle (class act -- unfortunately he is no longer coaching!).

Bottom line --- Get it right!!!
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you as the trail or lead ever go to the C and discuss it and possibly count the basket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Come together and provide the calling official with the information and let them change their call...example: "Partner, that ball was out of the hand before the buzzer. We really need to count that basket." Do not try to over rule the call or anything like that.
Rocky makes the point here correctly, all you can do is provide information and let the calling official make the call here. The same as you would do on an OOB play provide information and then go with what the calling official says.

Quote:
They all got together at the qtr break and the other two said it should have counted and after the first horn, one of the officials came over and said "he knows he missed it" and then later during a FT, the calling official said "I missed it."
This just blows my mind!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Having said that, why in the world would the official say "I missed that" to the coaches, but not have the stones to fix it??? That is just stupid.
Well said.
Why would you give a coach that type of ammunition, You blew a RULE!
You could have fixed it - and you told them about it!

Quote:
nothing that was done during this game.