The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate your positive comments,

The team won that game and the coach was on the court for their remaining two games in the tournament until they lost out. I was ordered not to speak about it until his team was eliminated from the tournament for some reason.

The state takes official's professionalism a little more seriously than coach's professionalism, so I've been warned that another report of poor professionalism might result in probation.

Generally coach's here have to sit out a game and take an on-line NFHS coaching course after an ejection, both of which were waved pending an appeal.

And I have had more than 30 seconds of moronity in 7 years, so I'm no superhuman.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Was it your tone or something? I can't imagine why this was worth a reprimand.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Was there a video of the game, or more specifically, the incident?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 03:51pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Reffing Rev, I notice you and I are from the same state. I was under the impression that ejections were something that could not be appealed or waived in our state, ditto for the state across the river in which I work some games. Is our state a little flimsy-flamsy when it comes to its "hard" stance of no appeals on ejctions?
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

seems a little harsh -

I really do not have a problem with the "...everyone calls it that waycoach." comment.
Not the best choice of words but not really a big deal.

"No coach talks to me that way..." That is the one that probably started the trouble.

Now my question is how did you "T" him up?

Did you stick him with a - big production number - loud whistle - full wind up and follow through right in his face - so that even the guy in the Bob Ucher seats had no doubt what you did?

Or did you give it to him - calmly - low and slow - with a little tweet and signal - so that except for those actually watching you, nobody is sure what has happened?

how did you T the player? Big T little T?

I recall issuing a well deserved T in a womens NJCAA game last year, one the coach worked really hard to get, but the coach got under my skin and I stuck it to her, boy, I put that one together so well I almost broke a finger slamming that T at her.

After the game nobody said a word about the T itself - but the R on the game reamed me pretty good for sticking it in her face, as did the assigner, got me for $ 50.00 for doing it that way.

Now I always take a deep breath and bring it up low and slow, it is just a call, like any other call. No need to make a big deal out of it, If you have to give it, do it, just do it professionally.

keep us informed as to the outcome of this please.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post

After the game nobody said a word about the T itself - but the R on the game reamed me pretty good for sticking it in her face, as did the assigner, got me for $ 50.00 for doing it that way.
What, the assignor determines what you make after you work the game? Great system. I need to get into that racket. I would tell the assignor to keep the $50 and then tell everyone I knew to stay away from that joker.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Fined by an ASSIGNER?

Time for a new assigner.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Ncaa

In college we can get fined for various things, as well as lose games, or lose future assignments, when you screw up.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

reffin rev

going by your screen name indicates your propensiity not to be confrentational to begin with...i have learned that knowing the coach doesnt make any difference to ones standing when it comes down to sports officiating...reading your op shows me nothing that wasnt shown to you by the coach...your response was neither over the line or unwarranted..but his was when he charged you...thick skin is need in this profession...it has been said you can call a great game for 3 1/2 quarters and make a controversial call at the end and thats the ones everyone remembers...so be it
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:01am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
This was, and still is, my reaction. Reffing Rev, you did nothing wrong or inappropriate here. You used his own words with him - if he can't handle that, it's his problem not yours. Do not beat yourself up about this, and do not consider it a mistake. The coach decided to get stoopid and he suffered the consequences.
Bingo. His own smart-@$$ words. If he doesn't like 'em, then he shouldn't direct them at you.

I have done the same thing on rare occasions, even though I knew it probably was "stooping" to his level a little. Gets the point across, though.