The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What level of education is required to be a ref or to be considered? Give a percent on how many refs have another "primary" job?
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 10:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUENATION
What level of education is required to be a ref or to be considered? Give a percent on how many refs have another "primary" job?
The answer to your first question is "roughly the same as is required to be a coach." As to your second question, I'd say a rough guess would be that 99.999999999999% have "primary" jobs.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not done high school, and I ref.

I heared of a guy who worked part-time in a gas station, and officiated football and basketball for the rest of his income.

The point, in order to ref, you need to be able to see, run, point, and read. Anyone can ref, they won't kick you out because you dropped out of school.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUENATION ]
What level of education is required to be a ref or to be considered?

You have to have graduated Cum Laude from the "School of thickis skinnis and common sensus." Most of us majored in a degree called "fan ignorus."

Give a percent on how many refs have another "primary" job?

Of all the ones I know, 100%. Everyone I know does it for the love of the game and to give back to the game. Other than NBA refs, I don't know any that do it for a living. It would be hard to survive on officiating alone unless you wanted to "live in a van down by the river."

Z
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I know some guys that have retired and still ref, so technically its their primary job, as its their only job. But they still are making more on their retirement check so maybe that makes retirement their primary job.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I was under the impression that the BIG time Div 1 officials make over 100G... isn't that enough to live ?? I'd say a guy getting a fairly good Div 1 sked.. along with Div 2/3 mixed in.. pluse maybe some summer stuff mixed in.. has to make AT LEAST 40G. I could live on that..
Any comments ?? I may be off on the figures.. but, i'd say close. Those with definite knowledge.. please set me straight.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
I was under the impression that the BIG time Div 1 officials make over 100G... isn't that enough to live ?? I'd say a guy getting a fairly good Div 1 sked.. along with Div 2/3 mixed in.. pluse maybe some summer stuff mixed in.. has to make AT LEAST 40G. I could live on that..
Any comments ?? I may be off on the figures.. but, i'd say close. Those with definite knowledge.. please set me straight.
The big time refs - you're absolutely right. I'd guess there are fewer than two dozen NCAA refs making that much money, though.

Also, I don't know where you live, but 40 grand/year wouldn't get you much out here in D.C. Just saying . . .

The most important thing, though, is to have something to fall back on. A bad call will get you dropped from a league 20x faster than a bad pass will get a player cut from a team.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

One thing to remember...no benefits..
  • No health insurance
  • No paid vacation
  • No sick pay
  • No pension
  • Self Employment taxes (that your employer normally pays)
  • etc.

So, 100K for them is NOT equal to a salary of 100K as an employee. All of the benefits that so many take for granted actually cost a LOT of money. Benefits alone could effectively reduce that by 20-30% or more.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Mar 22nd, 2004 at 04:27 PM]
    Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 05:24pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark Dexter
    Quote:
    Originally posted by iamaref

The most important thing, though, is to have something to fall back on. A bad call will get you dropped from a league 20x faster than a bad pass will get a player cut from a team.
    Even worse than a bad call putting a speed bump in your new career is an injury ending it.
    Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 05:25pm
    Official Forum Member

The people that I know that work fulltime as a ref work the WNBA in the summer. That way they work about 9-10 months out of the year. The WNBA refs probalby work on average 5 D-I conferences.

I know a few people that work 3 or 4 conferences but still have other fulltime jobs.

You need to have an understanding job to be able to do that though.
    Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 05:27pm
    Official Forum Member

I'm looking for about 5 games a year at $20,000 each. Then I will make this my primary job.
    Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:36pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Quote:
    Originally posted by footlocker
    I'm looking for about 5 games a year at $20,000 each. Then I will make this my primary job.
    Yea, wouldn't we all...
    Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:02pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by footlocker
    Heck - I'll take one game a year at $20,000!
    Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:13pm
    Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
    Originally posted by ref18
    I'm not done high school, and I ref.
    I can tell that you have not passed your English class yet.
    Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:17pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by zebraman
    It would be hard to survive on officiating alone unless you wanted to "live in a van down by the river."

Z [/B]
    LOL! From one of the best skits ever on SNL.