The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

How many of you use the coach's rule and require they remain seated for the entire game?

Is it effective?

SECTION 5 COACHES' RULE
ART. 1 . . . The head coach must remain seated on the bench at all times while the clock is running or is stopped except to:

a. Rise and stand in front of his/her seat to request a time-out or to signal his/her players to request a time-out.
b. Confer with personnel at scorer's table to request a 60-second time-out (or one 30-second time-out if that is the only type of time-out remaining) for a correctable error as in 2-10, to prevent or rectify a timing or scoring mistake or alternating possession mistake.
c. Replace or remove a disqualified/injured player, or player directed to leave the game, within 30 seconds when a substitute is available, while within the confines of his/her bench.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

How many of you use the coach's rule and require they remain seated for the entire game?

Is it effective?

SECTION 5 COACHES' RULE
ART. 1 . . . The head coach must remain seated on the bench at all times while the clock is running or is stopped except to:

a. Rise and stand in front of his/her seat to request a time-out or to signal his/her players to request a time-out.
b. Confer with personnel at scorer's table to request a 60-second time-out (or one 30-second time-out if that is the only type of time-out remaining) for a correctable error as in 2-10, to prevent or rectify a timing or scoring mistake or alternating possession mistake.
c. Replace or remove a disqualified/injured player, or player directed to leave the game, within 30 seconds when a substitute is available, while within the confines of his/her bench.
Our state allows for a coaching box, but once the coach earns a T they lose the coaching box proviledge. If I give a coach a T, I do absolutely require that they remain seated for the rest of the game.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

We just got a memo from the state yesterday . In it, the head of officials is not pleased with the enforcement of bench decorum. I thought I had been doing a pretty good job of it, but I'll be paying a little more attention for the rest of the season.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:

Is it effective?

SECTION 5 COACHES' RULE

That rule is for a coach after they are issued a T.

After he/she gets that T they better follow the rule

[Edited by joseph2493 on Feb 4th, 2005 at 12:19 PM]
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is it effective?

SECTION 5 COACHES' RULE

In Oregon we use the coaching box. Head coach is allowed to roam freely within the confines of the box for coaching purposes. If the HC is assessed a T, either direct or indirect, then they lose the use of the box for the remainder of that game & the seat-belt rule applies. Assistant coaches must remain seated.

We try to be consistent and preventive - if the coach roams a little too far, a casual "don't forget the box coach" usually does the trick. If not, then we penalize. Once the coach has been seat-belted, I enforce it pretty strictly.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty

Our state allows for a coaching box, but once the coach earns a T they lose the coaching box proviledge. If I give a coach a T, I do absolutely require that they remain seated for the rest of the game.
Smitty,

I think the CHS JV coach really wanted one last night - you should have obliged. After the FG game I changed back to civies and was watching the varsity game from the upper balcony, standing next to the CHS AD. The JV coach came up (obviously didn't recognize me) & starts b***hing to the AD about the officiating of his game - all your guys fault they lost of course (forget for a moment that they are a mediocre team up against the #1 program in the state). The AD listened sympathetically, & when the coach had vented his spleen and finally walked off, turned to me & said with a grin "You see the crap I get to put up with. He constantly chips at the officials & then wonders why they won't listen to him ".
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:

Smitty,

I think the CHS JV coach really wanted one last night - you should have obliged. After the FG game I changed back to civies and was watching the varsity game from the upper balcony, standing next to the CHS AD. The JV coach came up (obviously didn't recognize me) & starts b***hing to the AD about the officiating of his game - all your guys fault they lost of course (forget for a moment that they are a mediocre team up against the #1 program in the state). The AD listened sympathetically, & when the coach had vented his spleen and finally walked off, turned to me & said with a grin "You see the crap I get to put up with. He constantly chips at the officials & then wonders why they won't listen to him ".
Tim you are absolutely right - I should have given him one. He even asked for one early in the second half. Literally asked for one. His poor girls were down 30 the whole game to a very, very good team. Those Southridge girls are so well coached - they could probably beat a lot of the Varsity teams and at least give the others a good game. The CHS coach wanted a foul every time his point guard had the ball. Early in the second half I tried to just calm him down, but that only made him worse. That's when he threatened to call Howard. I should have rang him up then, but honestly, I didn't think it would make the game better. He was staying seated the whole game as it was. Just chipping. I also didn't want to give him the opportunity to have himself tossed from the game. That must sound crazy, but I just had a feeling he would have forced me into a worse situation if I had given him his T. I'm glad you mentioned what happened with the AD. The cherry on the cake was that your partner said this guy used to be a ref in our association. What a peach.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Iowa boys do not have the coach's box, and as Junker mentioned, we officials got our collective wrist slapped yesterday. I know for the vast majority of my games, the coaches have done well at this.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

In NH we allow the coach's box. He/she gets the seatbelt only after a T. Then it is enforced at all times.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Smitty,

Tim you are absolutely right - I should have given him one. He even asked for one early in the second half. Literally asked for one. His poor girls were down 30 the whole game to a very, very good team. Those Southridge girls are so well coached - they could probably beat a lot of the Varsity teams and at least give the others a good game. The CHS coach wanted a foul every time his point guard had the ball. Early in the second half I tried to just calm him down, but that only made him worse. That's when he threatened to call Howard. I should have rang him up then, but honestly, I didn't think it would make the game better. He was staying seated the whole game as it was. Just chipping. I also didn't want to give him the opportunity to have himself tossed from the game. That must sound crazy, but I just had a feeling he would have forced me into a worse situation if I had given him his T. I'm glad you mentioned what happened with the AD. The cherry on the cake was that your partner said this guy used to be a ref in our association. What a peach.
Threatened to call the assignor? WHACK!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Smitty,

Threatened to call the assignor? WHACK!
I know. I know. I've been kicking myself since the moment the game ended. I won't let that happen again.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Tim you are absolutely right - I should have given him one. He even asked for one early in the second half.
Smitty, you know the smart-aleck reply to this, don't you? "Coach, if I have to stay here through the rest of this crap, so do you!" I'm not suggesting you say that, but it's something to think about.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Tim you are absolutely right - I should have given him one. He even asked for one early in the second half.
Smitty, you know the smart-aleck reply to this, don't you? "Coach, if I have to stay here through the rest of this crap, so do you!" I'm not suggesting you say that, but it's something to think about.
Funny you should mention that. One of the varsity guys mentioned the same line. I wish I could think that fast on my feet. And my partner was useless as well. He is a relatively new guy, calls fouls just fine, but hadn't a clue about helping me manage the game. Just before halftime, I called a foul on the other team and ball was going to be out of bounds right in front of this coach. He's chipping that I should have called the foul sooner. We should have switched so I was away from the coach, but after I report I see he's already down as lead waiting for me to inbound. I think to myself "thanks a bunch partner" and inbound the ball. At halftime I mention to my partner that we should switch on every call, especially when I'm getting chipped at and he can get me away from the coach. He just sort of stared and rolled his eyes a bit. It was just that kind of night.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Smitty,

One of his comments was along the lines of "Every time we tried to bring the ball down they'd lean on our girls. I was all over the ref about the contact, and the only reason he didn't T me was because he knew I was right." Just thought you'd like to know.... He also told the AD that he had threatened to call the commissioner directly.

FYI, I had these teams at their first game at the beginning of the season. He was a pain in the butt then too, but the game was a little closer and he was actually doing some coaching instead of just complaining.

Guess it goes to prove the adage that coaches don't necessarily make the best officials - and vice versa.....
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Smitty,

One of his comments was along the lines of "Every time we tried to bring the ball down they'd lean on our girls. I was all over the ref about the contact, and the only reason he didn't T me was because he knew I was right." Just thought you'd like to know.... He also told the AD that he had threatened to call the commissioner directly.

FYI, I had these teams at their first game at the beginning of the season. He was a pain in the butt then too, but the game was a little closer and he was actually doing some coaching instead of just complaining.

Guess it goes to prove the adage that coaches don't necessarily make the best officials - and vice versa.....
Yeah, that's why I didn't T him.

I tried to give the guy a break...his team was getting crushed by a far superior team. He didn't choose to see all the calls I passed on in his favor. The dozen or so travel calls I didn't make - on purpose - on his girls. The other team's defenders were not leaning - if anything his guards were initiating the contact. I hope he calls Howard. What a d!ck.