The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 12:46pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Gotcha - I agree. I don't agree with Snagwells though - what makes a first round game any less important than a final? One and done baby! 1st round games deserve the same quality as finals IMHO
I'll agree first round deserves higher quality than regular season; but I disagree that you need the same quality official on a first round playoff game as you get in the finals. Even with 2-person, you're not getting that. You just can't.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 12:51pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Gotcha - I agree. I don't agree with Snagwells though - what makes a first round game any less important than a final? One and done baby! 1st round games deserve the same quality as finals IMHO
In a state where everyone gets in, you can target certain games. A few years ago I had 18-2 against 2-18 and the game was a 40-point spread at the half. This was 1 against 16 in a sectional, I think.

Of course, I believe I worked a boys game about 4 years ago where the team got its first win (0-20 up till then) in the first round. And I've had two first round boys games that came right down to the last shot. I'll never forget the one where I had my hand up as the trail on a 3 at the buzzer (2 point game) and watched as the ball rattled out. I blew my whistle and everyone (including us) stood for a second or two to absorb what had just happened.

I love it when I get a first round game where the teams are close seeds playing one another. Last year, I had a boys 8/9 matchup that was outstanding and the visiting team pulled it out at the wire.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
Thumbs up

I think the question above was whether we have enough quality officials to do 3-person, or whether we have enough quality 3-person officials to do the tournament games? IMO, right now there are not enough quality 3-person officials to handle the first round sub-regional games all on one night. Splitting them over two nights would help. But weather in Wisconsin is very unpredictable, and it would be a scheduling nightmare trying to get games in before the next round comes. Not sure of the best way to handle the 3-person dilemma, but schools are really fighting it right now, due to budget problems. Also, I think we as officials in general can take some blame, because, in some instances, we have not been able to show that 3-person crews call that much better of a game than 2-person crews. That comes from the inexperience of some, along with having to work with officials you have not worked with before. I know the theory is that in 3-person you should be able to work with any other official. But the inexperience really shows for those that do mostly 3-person games. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
"But the inexperience really shows for those that do mostly 3-person games."

Sorry, this should have read 2-person games!!
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,671
Slightly higher west of the Rockies.

95% of regular season games, here in the Land of Steady Habits, are worked by two officials. Three person games don't kick in until the state quarterfinals. Our local board had it's first, ever, three man clinic in December, 2008. This in the state with one of the highest per capita incomes.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 07:37pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRef View Post
I think the question above was whether we have enough quality officials to do 3-person, or whether we have enough quality 3-person officials to do the tournament games? IMO, right now there are not enough quality 3-person officials to handle the first round sub-regional games all on one night. Splitting them over two nights would help. But weather in Wisconsin is very unpredictable, and it would be a scheduling nightmare trying to get games in before the next round comes. Not sure of the best way to handle the 3-person dilemma, but schools are really fighting it right now, due to budget problems.
I think that is a lame excuse. This season will be the 11th since 1997 that the state just south of you has used 3 Person crews for all post season games. Our state made a commitment to using 3 officials and they did everything to train officials to the system. Of course there was an adjustment period for everyone, but it was not about quality of officials, it was about training and only training. You will never improve officiating by hoping that people get good enough. You have to make a commitment to make those better through training in camps or literature. In this state every team makes the playoffs and the post season is run in 4 different tournaments. We have over 5000 basketball officials but for the Regional Finals each level needs 192 officials to work the Championship. They use more in for other Regional games, but a solid number of officials to cover the post season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRef View Post
Also, I think we as officials in general can take some blame, because, in some instances, we have not been able to show that 3-person crews call that much better of a game than 2-person crews. That comes from the inexperience of some, along with having to work with officials you have not worked with before. I know the theory is that in 3-person you should be able to work with any other official. But the inexperience really shows for those that do mostly 3-person games. Just my thoughts.
You just do not work games in the system and all of a sudden becomes an expert. You have to be given opportunities to work games in the system and that requires either camp opportunities or games during the regular season. I have been working 3 Person my entire career in come capacity and it takes a few years to learn. The training is so good here that there are things we do not even need to discuss like we once did several years ago. I credit this all to the state's commitment to the system and insisting on training the masses to learn the system. The IHSA did not just sit back and expect the system to be used and not put programs in to give officials an opportunity to learn in many cases. Now working 3 Person is like riding a bike. Of course there are bad officials, but it is not because of the use of 3 officials.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,069
My error....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Something like that.
Why are you laughing at me?
NOT laughing... I think I was going for a smile and got a laugh. Sorry.
__________________
"Stay in the game!"
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 63
You mean WISCONSIN doesn't have enough "good" officials to ref 3-person? What a sack of crap - How do they train officials? Has there been any proactivity by the state association? No college experienced officials to help advocate for 3-person at HS varsity level during the season. Has WIAA "dropped the ball" on this issue? Too bad for the kids!

Does the state association train their refs like some substitute phy. ed. teachers do, when they just "roll the ball out" and let the participants figure it out? Sounds pretty backwards to me! Too bad for the kids!

When does Wisconsin move into the 21st Century?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
She is right, but the state (IMO) has failed to push hard enough in the direction of 3-person officiating.

(1) Mandate 3-person for all varsity games

(Amazing how not a single varsity football game is worked 4-person, even when the schools involved pass 10 times between them the ENTIRE game.)

(2) Suggest a pay structure for 2-3 years where the officials have to take a 3-for-2 deal for the first 2 or so years and this gives the schools time to figure out how to pay the extra $1300 or so that it would take to cover 22 varsity games (11 boys, 11 girls).

(3) The conferences should simply say: "For the next 2 seasons, we're hiring 3 officials and we are paying $40 per. Either you work it or you don't. Please let us know where you've received state-approved 3-person training." If the officials aren't willing to do this, hire people who are. Deal with the pain of transition and acknowledge that it won't be seamless.

(4) Restructure the playoffs so that half the first round is played on Tuesday and half on Wednesday. Do the same with the second round. Problem eliminated. You do not need to have every girls' team in the state playing on Tuesday February 26.

It's easy to say "there aren't enough good officials." The hard thing is to think outside the box and fix the problem with the goal being 3-person in every varsity game in the state within 3 years.

(It'll never happen.)

And the state should support those who WANT to work 3-person. Last season I worked a boys varsity game with a guy who spent the entire time there complaining about 3-person. He rotated ONCE the entire game (which was one more time than the other guy, while I kept annoying them by rotating whenever the play dictated, sometimes multiple times in a trip). Kept saying how he can't wait until they go back to 2-man. Then I turn on the state tourney and he's working. Gotta love it.
__________________
"DITKA Rules!
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:57am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBoy View Post
You mean WISCONSIN doesn't have enough "good" officials to ref 3-person? What a sack of crap - How do they train officials? Has there been any proactivity by the state association? No college experienced officials to help advocate for 3-person at HS varsity level during the season. Has WIAA "dropped the ball" on this issue? Too bad for the kids!

Does the state association train their refs like some substitute phy. ed. teachers do, when they just "roll the ball out" and let the participants figure it out? Sounds pretty backwards to me! Too bad for the kids!

When does Wisconsin move into the 21st Century?
This is why I was licensed in Illinois and worked about a dozen games down there per season for 6 seasons. 3-person, 3-person pay, no big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:09pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,694
I found this old thread and I noticed a few things:

(1) I really miss Mick.

(2) Nothing has changed here. Not a thing.

And it's 3 years later. And the first 2 rounds are still 2-person. And some of the conferences that went 3-person have gone back to 2-person. And there's no real commitment to move the state towards 3-person officiating across the board.

I've heard an interesting proposal I'd get right behind. Right now, many conferences pay $120 for varsity officials and $80 for freshman and JV officials (2 per game). That's $280 per night, assuming one freshman team. Drop the pay for the varsity officials to $55 (that's $165 for a 3-person crew) and drop the freshman/JV pay from $40 to $30. It would cost the schools $5 more a night, TOTAL.

Before anyone thinks I'm against the FR/JV officials, let me point out that in *many* communities, the FR/JV officials do not join associations, do not attend camps, and do not have any desire to ever do more than work those preliminary games. In many cases, the officiating is beyond terrible and the only motivation for those guys is to get a paycheck.

For those who don't fit this bill, there will be many openings at the varsity level since every game will be played with 3 officials.

I'm sure I'll be back in 3 years pointing out that nothing has changed.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 01:16pm.
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm sure I'll be back in 3 years pointing out that nothing has changed.
And that we still miss mick. Of course that'll be this time next year, and not 3 years from now.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
To me, it's an odd thing. I want to work 3 100% of the time, but I want a full game check for a full game's work.

In a 40-game season (a few left), I worked about 15 3-person games and was paid a full check for all but 2 (I'll work 3-for-2 with certain people once in a while and over the holidays or early in the season).

I won't play "mother-may-I" with coaches/ADs, either -- when I find out they want all kind of approval to do it, then they'll just get the 2 officials they were contracted.
Wonder if pay went up for table people or school admins who work games over past three years?


Around here, a middle school teacher can sit by gym entrance surfing Internet acting as 'security' while munching snacks for 60 bucks or so for two games.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:55pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Wonder if pay went up for table people or school admins who work games over past three years?


Around here, a middle school teacher can sit by gym entrance surfing Internet acting as 'security' while munching snacks for 60 bucks or so for two games.
And yet the schools only complain about the cost of a third official. It's OK if an "insider" gets paid, but some outsider who comes in to referee? Heh.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Around here, a middle school teacher can sit by gym entrance surfing Internet acting as 'security' while munching snacks for 60 bucks or so for two games.
Could you just have this guy then put on a stripe shirt and maybe call a line or two out of bounds during the game to earn his money?
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
Could you just have this guy then put on a stripe shirt and maybe call a line or two out of bounds during the game to earn his money?
you know my partner?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are we the "worst" refs? Family Feud says yes. Mark Padgett Basketball 19 Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36am
ABC's "Nightline" examines "worst calls ever" tonight pizanno Basketball 27 Fri Jul 04, 2008 06:08am
A scene from "A Few Good Refs" dahoopref Basketball 22 Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:18pm
Charles Barkley's "brutal NBA refs" comments jeffpea Basketball 16 Thu May 18, 2006 10:02am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1