The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw situation

I have noticed a lot of the following watching from the stands and TV in the last few years. Player A1 has multiple foul shots. On free throws before the last/live free throw, the player who has the responsibility for boxing out the shooter, B1, 'boxes' out the shooter and clears the shooter off of his/her spot on the free throw lane, often moving A1 back a couple of steps. This seems to be a common practice in the last few years. To me this is an obvious tactic of intimidation. Why box out the shooter when the ball is not to be live other than to intimidate or gain unfair advantage by moving A1 off his spot and possibly disconcerting him?

Not sure how to clean this up. Any suggestions? Am I wrong, should this be okay by the spirit of the rules?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The ball is live. If the FTS is displaced significantly, call a push, especially if the ball rebounds to that location.

Having said that, a foul in this situation is very very rare. (I have never seen it called.) So instead of being the guy that rings this one up, talk to the players before calling it.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
The ball is live. If the FTS is displaced significantly, call a push, especially if the ball rebounds to that location.

Having said that, a foul in this situation is very very rare. (I have never seen it called.) So instead of being the guy that rings this one up, talk to the players before calling it.
go to E-officials.com
there is a film clip on the NCAAW side under staying with the shooter that specifically deals with the Free throw and a great example of what can happen here.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
go to Eofficials.com
there is a film clip on the NCAAW side under staying with the shooter that specifically deals with the Free throw and a great example of what can happen here.
Went there. It's a paid site, and I do not have a membership there. Oh well.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Went there. It's a paid site, and I do not have a membership there. Oh well.
JR - you do not have to pay to join that is an option
just sign up and go through, there are benifits to becoming a full fledged member but there is a lot of information there for all officials.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
JR - you do not have to pay to join that is an option
just sign up and go through, there are benefits to becoming a full fledged member but there is a lot of information there for all officials.
I registered and found the play. Thanks!! It's play #3 inside video #18 in the NCAA women's section. Great find! All should register and look at the videos.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't think the ball is live here if I understand the OP. I think he is talking about the 1st shot of a multiple shot free throw. Since the players can't enter the lane until the ball touches the backboard or rim, I would think the freethrow would already be successfull or a miss (unless the ball is rolling around the rim) by the time the player enters the lane and gets to the freethrow shooter to box them out. All this on a freethrow that will result in a dead ball whether it is successful or not.

As for the OP, if the dead ball contact is severe enough call the T. But I would caution against that as I am not aware of others doing so. As far as unsporting, my tolerance level for them is low and really shouldn't be used as a comparison.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I don't think the ball is live here if I understand the OP. I think he is talking about the 1st shot of a multiple shot free throw. Since the players can't enter the lane until the ball touches the backboard or rim, I would think the free throw would already be successful or a miss (unless the ball is rolling around the rim) by the time the player enters the lane and gets to the free throw shooter to box them out. All this on a free throw that will result in a dead ball whether it is successful or not.

As for the OP, if the dead ball contact is severe enough call the T. But I would caution against that as I am not aware of others doing so. As far as unsporting, my tolerance level for them is low and really shouldn't be used as a comparison.
I agree. So if need be, call the T. In fact, after watching the video on Eofficials.com, I would flag that foul as a T. It was ridiculous!