The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51887-free-throw-situation.html)

hoopguy Wed Feb 25, 2009 09:27am

Free Throw situation

I have noticed a lot of the following watching from the stands and TV in the last few years. Player A1 has multiple foul shots. On free throws before the last/live free throw, the player who has the responsibility for boxing out the shooter, B1, 'boxes' out the shooter and clears the shooter off of his/her spot on the free throw lane, often moving A1 back a couple of steps. This seems to be a common practice in the last few years. To me this is an obvious tactic of intimidation. Why box out the shooter when the ball is not to be live other than to intimidate or gain unfair advantage by moving A1 off his spot and possibly disconcerting him?

Not sure how to clean this up. Any suggestions? Am I wrong, should this be okay by the spirit of the rules?

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 25, 2009 09:40am

The ball is live. If the FTS is displaced significantly, call a push, especially if the ball rebounds to that location.

Having said that, a foul in this situation is very very rare. (I have never seen it called.) So instead of being the guy that rings this one up, talk to the players before calling it.

OHBBREF Wed Feb 25, 2009 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 583002)
The ball is live. If the FTS is displaced significantly, call a push, especially if the ball rebounds to that location.

Having said that, a foul in this situation is very very rare. (I have never seen it called.) So instead of being the guy that rings this one up, talk to the players before calling it.

go to E-officials.com
there is a film clip on the NCAAW side under staying with the shooter that specifically deals with the Free throw and a great example of what can happen here.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 583005)
go to Eofficials.com
there is a film clip on the NCAAW side under staying with the shooter that specifically deals with the Free throw and a great example of what can happen here.

Went there. It's a paid site, and I do not have a membership there. Oh well.

OHBBREF Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 583104)
Went there. It's a paid site, and I do not have a membership there. Oh well.

JR - you do not have to pay to join that is an option
just sign up and go through, there are benifits to becoming a full fledged member but there is a lot of information there for all officials.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 583111)
JR - you do not have to pay to join that is an option
just sign up and go through, there are benefits to becoming a full fledged member but there is a lot of information there for all officials.

I registered and found the play. Thanks!! It's play #3 inside video #18 in the NCAA women's section. Great find! All should register and look at the videos.

SamIAm Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 583002)

I don't think the ball is live here if I understand the OP. I think he is talking about the 1st shot of a multiple shot free throw. Since the players can't enter the lane until the ball touches the backboard or rim, I would think the freethrow would already be successfull or a miss (unless the ball is rolling around the rim) by the time the player enters the lane and gets to the freethrow shooter to box them out. All this on a freethrow that will result in a dead ball whether it is successful or not.

As for the OP, if the dead ball contact is severe enough call the T. But I would caution against that as I am not aware of others doing so. As far as unsporting, my tolerance level for them is low and really shouldn't be used as a comparison.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 25, 2009 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 583124)
I don't think the ball is live here if I understand the OP. I think he is talking about the 1st shot of a multiple shot free throw. Since the players can't enter the lane until the ball touches the backboard or rim, I would think the free throw would already be successful or a miss (unless the ball is rolling around the rim) by the time the player enters the lane and gets to the free throw shooter to box them out. All this on a free throw that will result in a dead ball whether it is successful or not.

As for the OP, if the dead ball contact is severe enough call the T. But I would caution against that as I am not aware of others doing so. As far as unsporting, my tolerance level for them is low and really shouldn't be used as a comparison.

I agree. So if need be, call the T. :eek: In fact, after watching the video on Eofficials.com, I would flag that foul as a T. It was ridiculous!