The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 01:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
My point in this whole discussion is I disagree with those who want to tell the coach they still have one full and one 30 left (or any other amount other than they've used their last one). Unless, of course, that is how it is commonly done in their area, and coaches and officials both come to view this as common practice.

M&M:

We are on the same page. We both agree that the Officials (R, U, U1, and U2) should not be telling a team how many timeouts it has left. No we need to get on the same paragraph. The Scorer and the Timer are part of the officiating crew, but the word "Official(s)" mean: R, U, U1, and U2. Once again go back and read Rule 2 in both codes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
We are on the same page. We both agree that the Officials (R, U, U1, and U2) should not be telling a team how many timeouts it has left.
Good. I was starting to shudder at the thought of J. Dallas Shirley haunting my evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
No we need to get on the same paragraph. The Scorer and the Timer are part of the officiating crew, but the word "Official(s)" mean: R, U, U1, and U2. Once again go back and read Rule 2 in both codes.
Well, we are probably parsing symantics; we'll need to have mbyron officiate this one. I agree the scorers and timers are separate from the floor officials, but they are listed in NFHS under the rule entitled "Officials and Their Duties", and they are referred to as "Table Officials". They are also separate from the "Game Officials". In NCAA, they are also covered under the same Rule heading: "Officials and Their Duties", and they are listed under the section entitled: "The Officials". It seems pretty clear to me they want these people to be considered officials, if only to make sure they are as unbiased and neutral as the floor officials.

(Used with permission.)