View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
We are on the same page. We both agree that the Officials (R, U, U1, and U2) should not be telling a team how many timeouts it has left.
Good. I was starting to shudder at the thought of J. Dallas Shirley haunting my evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
No we need to get on the same paragraph. The Scorer and the Timer are part of the officiating crew, but the word "Official(s)" mean: R, U, U1, and U2. Once again go back and read Rule 2 in both codes.
Well, we are probably parsing symantics; we'll need to have mbyron officiate this one. I agree the scorers and timers are separate from the floor officials, but they are listed in NFHS under the rule entitled "Officials and Their Duties", and they are referred to as "Table Officials". They are also separate from the "Game Officials". In NCAA, they are also covered under the same Rule heading: "Officials and Their Duties", and they are listed under the section entitled: "The Officials". It seems pretty clear to me they want these people to be considered officials, if only to make sure they are as unbiased and neutral as the floor officials.

(Used with permission.)