The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Player goes up, shoots, ball goes through the basket, and THEN the player comes down and makes contact? Wow, he was up there a long time!
Player goes up and throws a two-footer down into the ring.

Player dunks.

There's two options for you with reasonable "hang time."
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
I realize by rule what you are all saying is correct. Once the player has landed and the shot has left the hand, it should no longer be a shooting foul.

But.. From the players perspective possibly there should be more leeway. Players are all taught that part of the shot is the follow through, continue to hold your hand up until the ball hits something. So to me there is a grey area where the player may have landed but is still involved in the shot. I realize that by rule this is not the case and should not be called this way but this may be why it is not always called exactly as the rule states.

edit;

Last night I was watching the Florida-LSU game and witnessed Florida guard Calathis get fouled after a 3 point shot. In my opinion the shot had left his hand and his feet were on the floor. It was called a shooting foul and he was awarded 3 free throws. In my opinion, this is very common on most fouls agains a 3 point shooter in DI mens basketball. The ball has left the shooters hand and the shooter has landed and the opponent then hits the shooter. The top officials(the ones who ref DI mens) in our game often do not follow the rule exactly as written. They award the player 3 shots or 1 if the shot went in. It may be the wrong move on this forum but it seems to be the right call if you want the DI assigners to give you games.
If it's close (the landing), most will give the benefit to the shooting foul. If the shooter clearly lands prior to contact, they will not. Was the FL-LSU play close? It's also possible they just missed a call. I've called plenty of "after the shot" fouls.

The close ones usually happen on three point shots, when the defender is attempting to box out the shooter. Instead of boxing out, they clear the shooter out and it's sometimes a tough decision on whether contact was made prior to the shooter landing.

"Follow through" couldn't be more irrelevant. We don't officiate to coaching technique.