The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Camps

I am a fairly new official (3rd year) and have high goals set for myself. I was hoping to get some feedback and advice with regards to camps.

First off if one wants to do D1 Men's would anyone recommend attending a D1 women's camp or will that dissuade Men's evaluators to pass on you?

Second realistically what are the chances of a 3rd year guy who has done high school varsity games being looked at at all? I want to get better so there is dual motivation to go to some of the bigger camps, however would it be more prudent to go to more of the local camps and groom myself for a better presentation in a few years?

-----------------------------------------------
A smart man will learn from his own mistakes.....
A wise man will learn from the mistakes of others.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

bear in mind that I'm not trying to be extra critical or a jerk here. I obviously haven't seen you work and don't have any idea what level of basketball you're currently working, but I know my thoughts were something I had to consider and still consider when I choose my summer camps.

I would say that in your 3rd year you need to look at camps with a mindset of "which will provide the best feedback and instruction to make me better" rather than worrying about being seen. We all have goals in officiating and want to get to the next level, whatever that may be, but in order to get to the next level, you have to be ready for the next level. Just my $.02.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

thank you. I appreciate your thoughts. I agree, my first goal is to get better. Getting feedback and opinions on what I can do and should do in various situations is invaluable. I feel that a good camp with feedback is worth a season of learning on your own.