The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Best Div 1 camps.

Call it a dream, but one day I'd love to be working a Division 1 schedule someday.
I have been officiating for 15 years, and I take it very serious. I work for Tony Stigliano doing Div III and Junior College game and high school. I normally go to two camps a year. I'd really like the opportunity to attend a DIV 1 camp with the hopes of getting looked at and possibly get picked up. I realize it takes an endorsement from someone on the inside to get the nod. I work very hard and would love an opportunity. I'd really appreciate any advice on best camp possibilities. Thanks for any input and guidance.

V/R
Freddie_g2001
email: [email protected]
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001 View Post
Call it a dream, but one day I'd love to be working a Division 1 schedule someday.
I have been officiating for 15 years, and I take it very serious. I work for Tony Stigliano doing Div III and Junior College game and high school. I normally go to two camps a year. I'd really like the opportunity to attend a DIV 1 camp with the hopes of getting looked at and possibly get picked up. I realize it takes an endorsement from someone on the inside to get the nod. I work very hard and would love an opportunity. I'd really appreciate any advice on best camp possibilities. Thanks for any input and guidance.
You need to look at the camps at E-Officials.com and see where you might have a chance. You will also see that most of these are by invitation only and you need to go to the camps that will get you invited to the DI camps.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

It must be noted that if you want to attend a D1 camp, you need to be clear at which side you want to attend. Men's or Women's camps have a completely different set of standards and if you goal is to get hired at one of the other; you would be wasting a lot of time trying to attend the wrong gender that you have no desire working.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 03:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Different conferences have different ways of handling bringing in new officials so I don't have a blanket answer for you but here are some things I suggest.
  • Have a resume' available when you send out your inquiries. List your levels and conferences worked and 3-4 references.
  • Find a conference that already has a good number of officials from your current leagues/associations.
  • Find a conference that is getting a new supervisor. They often want to bring in new blood.
  • Don't forget about D2 conferences.
  • Be prepared to attend a camp more than once. A supervisor might like you but not think you are ready yet. They might want to see you again in a year and see if you made the necessary improvements.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 03:37pm.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

As said before it really depends on if your trying to work Men's or Women's and what part of the country you're in, but if you are working a DIII and JUCO schedule now, why not talk to your supervisor and let him know your intentions and suggest or refer you to camp?