Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Closely Guarded Secrets

Home Page : 60 Seconds on Officiating

Feb 17/09 Article : Closely Guarded Secrets
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I would only take issue with two things about the article:
1. He failed to note that ILGP is necessary for a count to begin, not be continued per case book play 9.10.1 Sit C.

2. The switching of hands for new counts isn't just a recommended technique, it was stated in an NFHS POE that this was THE correct way to do it.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. He failed to note that ILGP is necessary for a count to begin, not be continued per case book play 9.10.1 Sit C.

2. The switching of hands for new counts isn't just a recommended technique, it was stated in an NFHS POE that this was THE correct way to do it.
Good clarifications!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:28am
Official & Member

Overall, good article. Thorough and clearly written.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2004-05 Points of Emphasis

1. Closely guarded. Well-officiated closely-guarded situations provide for better balance between offense and defense. When the closely guarded rules are not followed, there is a significant advantage for the offense. The following four areas are to be emphasized:

A. When to start. A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his or her team's front court, is guarded by an opponent who is within six feet of that player who is holding or dribbling the ball. It should also be emphasized that the defensive player must obtain a legal guarding position.

A player shall not hold the ball for five seconds or dribble the ball for five seconds while closely guarded in his or her front court. A player can legally hold the ball while closely guarded for four seconds, dribble the ball for four seconds and hold the ball again for four seconds before violating.

B. When to stop. A closely-guarded count ends when no defensive player is within six feet. The count also stops when a closely guarded player (a) completes a dribble anywhere in the team's own front court; (b) starts a dribble in the team's own frontcourt and ends it anywhere in the frontcourt (a new five-second count will start if the player holds the ball); (c) loses possession of the ball for any reason in the team's own frontcourt; or (d) has his or her dribble interrupted. If a closely-guarded player beats the defender(s) by getting head and shoulders past the defensive player, the count has ended.

C. Multiple defenders. The count should continue even if there is a defensive switch, provided the six-foot distance is maintained. There is no requirement for the defensive player to remain the same during the count as long as the offensive player is closely guarded throughout.
D. Counting mechanics. Emphasis should be placed on the official to begin a visible count when the six-foot distance is established. The official must switch arms when going directly from one counting situation to another.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Overall, good article. Thorough and clearly written.
As are the rest of the articles at this site - I have it bookmarked. Good stuff!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I thought I read somewhere that a ballhandler must be guarded by the same player for the entire 5 seconds to constitute a violation. The article disagrees.

Clarification?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that a ballhandler must be guarded by the same player for the entire 5 seconds to constitute a violation. The article disagrees.

Clarification?
That's the NCAA rule. NFHS allows the defenders to switch and have the count continue.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:37am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post

Clarification?
NFHS - 9.10.1 SITUATION B: While dribbling in A’s frontcourt, A1 is closely guarded by B1. After two seconds, B2 also assumes a closely-guarded position on A1 and B1 leaves to guard A2. RULING: The closely-guarded count continues. There is no requirement for the defensive player to remain the same during the count as long as A1 is closely-guarded throughout.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:58pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
That's the NCAA rule. NFHS allows the defenders to switch and have the count continue.
That explains the ucking fidiot of a freshman coach who I had screaming at me when I called his kid for the closely guarded, even though he had been defended by two different defenders. I wondered where the heck he got that idea.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
That explains the ucking fidiot of a freshman coach who I had screaming at me when I called his kid for the closely guarded, even though he had been defended by two different defenders. I wondered where the heck he got that idea.
Too much TV.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:28pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
That explains the ucking fidiot of a freshman coach ...
That is redundant.