The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Illinois/ Northwestern

Finally had a chance to catch a Big ten game live last night and it was a great game at NU, although NU blew a 14 point lead with under 5:00 to go.

Good crew, Ted Hillary, Jamie Luckie, and Phil Janssen. I had never seen Phil work and I heard he is on the fast track. Hillary's knees are shot, but he still moves OK.

Fun being almost at courtside to watch them work.

Interesting call, Jansssen is T and action is right on top of him with pressure on Illini dribbler, ball goes out of bounds right at Janssen's feet and he signals stays here. Luckie at lead, comes charging out talk to Phil. A nod of the head, and we're going long. No drama by Phil, he was obviously screened and missed it, but they got it right. Nobody squawked.

I was thinking to myself, would I do the same? Maybe, maybe not.

That's what they get paid for.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I was thinking to myself, would I do the same? Maybe, maybe not.
We pre-game this all the time. If one official doesn't know what direction to call and asks for help, the other official(s) will simply signal the direction and away we go. If an official does signal a direction, but one of the other officials is 100% they saw it wrong (or 116%, 123%, whatever...), then that official will go to the calling official and give them that information. That allows the calling official to correct their call. I have even gone so far as to tell my partners, "If you're coming to me with information, I'm probably changing my call even before you get to me", due to the fact I trust that my partner is sure of his/her information.

That's probably what happened here; Jamie was sure that Phil might've been too close and didn't see the whole play, so he came in with the info. Phil's probably saying "thanks" because he was probably the only one that didn't see it correctly.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
We pre-game this all the time. If one official doesn't know what direction to call and asks for help, the other official(s) will simply signal the direction and away we go. If an official does signal a direction, but one of the other officials is 100% they saw it wrong (or 116%, 123%, whatever...), then that official will go to the calling official and give them that information. That allows the calling official to correct their call. I have even gone so far as to tell my partners, "If you're coming to me with information, I'm probably changing my call even before you get to me", due to the fact I trust that my partner is sure of his/her information.

That's probably what happened here; Jamie was sure that Phil might've been too close and didn't see the whole play, so he came in with the info. Phil's probably saying "thanks" because he was probably the only one that didn't see it correctly.
Yup...........three pros working as one.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I always try to pre-game that if I come to you or you come to me, then the call has to be changed, if not, move on with the game. So if you dont know 100% get the clock stopped and ask and dont guess.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRef View Post
I always try to pre-game that if I come to you or you come to me, then the call has to be changed, if not, move on with the game. So if you dont know 100% get the clock stopped and ask and dont guess.

I'm not going to go that far.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I'm not going to go that far.
Same here. I had a play where I was the Lead and clearly saw who caused the OOB on a rebound. C headed my way but I gave him a look to let him know not to come. At halftime the Crew Chief, who was T on the play, says he was glad that the C never made it to me.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Same here. I had a play where I was the Lead and clearly saw who caused the OOB on a rebound. C headed my way but I gave him a look to let him know not to come. At halftime the Crew Chief, who was T on the play, says he was glad that the C never made it to me.
I think you need to be 200% sure.

Years ago I had a sophomore boys game and as new trail, ball gets knocked OB right in front of me, I couldn't be more positive. new lead who is almost at half court toots and comes in with his 'knowledge' I stick with my call. At half he says I'm not a good partner, that if he comes in I should change it.

He happens to be a good official and we are freindly, but I always remember that situation.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would use this as a good philosophy to follow, so that the official coming in is sure about their information. However, I agree with fullor30 to an extent in that I wouldn't call it an absolute. I have seen an example where the pass gets tipped up top by white, goes OOB along the endline, the L signals for white ball, the crowd goes crazy, and partner comes in with the info that white did indeed tip it out by the 3-point line. However, what the L saw was blue tried to save it right before it went OOB, and was the last to tip it. L steps out and says, "Thank you for the info, but blue 21 tipped it right here, that's why we're staying with white". This situation allows the L to stay with the call if indeed they have info that might be different from their partners' info.

For the most part, if I'm receiving info from my partner, I agree I'm trusting their info and going with the correction.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I would use this as a good philosophy to follow, so that the official coming in is sure about their information. However, I agree with fullor30 to an extent in that I wouldn't call it an absolute. I have seen an example where the pass gets tipped up top by white, goes OOB along the endline, the L signals for white ball, the crowd goes crazy, and partner comes in with the info that white did indeed tip it out by the 3-point line. However, what the L saw was blue tried to save it right before it went OOB, and was the last to tip it. L steps out and says, "Thank you for the info, but blue 21 tipped it right here, that's why we're staying with white". This situation allows the L to stay with the call if indeed they have info that might be different from their partners' info.

For the most part, if I'm receiving info from my partner, I agree I'm trusting their info and going with the correction.

I guess I should have said it this way...
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I should have said it this way...
I knew what you meant.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Were we watching the same game? Hillary can't run at all, it hurts me to watch him run.