The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb technical fouls from a coaches perspective

Coaches,

When you get a "T" in a basketball game, for something you deserve( I'm not talking about an illegal substitution). How do you feel about it the next day? Especially if you continued to voice your disapproval of the call during the game.

Do you still think the official is a jerk and doesn't know what they are doing, or do you respect him or her alittle more for standing up and enforcing the rules of the sport?, or lastly do you just move on and forget it?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I've received 2 T's in my career.

The first was in a game in which we were completely over matched. The officials waved in a sub that reported to the table long after the warning horn sounded following a time out. I reminded them that no subs are allowed after the warning horn and they both looked at me like I had two heads and then they looked at each other and started to come together to discuss it. Obviously they had no idea what I was talking about. The opposing coach is holding his sub at the table waiting for a decision and I turned to him and said (loud enough for the officials to hear), "Tim, just send him in, these two don't know the rules anyway." That got me the T. I sat quietly the rest of the game...I knew I "earned" the T but I didn't feel bad about it...those two were incompetent.

The 2nd I was actually trying to be funny. The official who whacked me was someone I knew by name, but didn't know per se. 1st half my pg got hit on the forearm on a pull up jumper loud enough to hear the contact. Lead became trail in front of my bench and I said (only loud enough for him to hear), "Sammy, you didn't hear the contact? My grandmother in the last row who's 85 heard that one." I was shocked when he blew the whistle and whacked me, and as I took my seat I told him, "sheez, I was just trying to be funny."

I've actually felt bad, and apologized later, for things I've said and haven't been t'd up for though...Heat of the moment stuff, where I'll say it and then say to myself, boy if the roles were reversed I would have definitely called a T.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I have had 5 Ts in 18 years, and I still remember every one of them. Three of them I knew I was probably going to get T'd, and had no problem with the result of my actions. No bad blood between me and the officials the remainder of the game, and life moved on.

The other two...not so much.

One of the coaches in my travel program gets T'd a lot (too much I think), but they don't phase him, and he is the kind of guy will shake your hand and say good game 10 minutes later.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I have had 3 T's in 5 years..Last year was my last in a division championship, I didnt think we were getting the calls we should when drove the basket and I basically started to ride him..It took about a quarter, but when he whacked me, I turned and sat down..he didnt need to tell me that I lost my box..
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

I wouldn't know.

In 13 years of coaching basketball, I never received a "T". Never saw the point of it.

JM
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
I wouldn't know.

In 13 years of coaching basketball, I never received a "T". Never saw the point of it.

JM
That's one reason you've been able to transition so easily to officiating.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've been awarded one, in more than 10 years of coaching MS and HS. Got it/desrved it for being an obnoxious fan, begging for calls while I was coaching, about 7 years ago. "That" me probably thought the official had been trigger-happy. Since then, I had the fortunate opp to officiate some MS games, HS summer league, and kids' and adults' rec league for about 14 months. That experience and this forum taught me to "coach the team" and not to "evaluate the refs." Nowadays, I'm sure if I earned a T, I would admit I had earned it and apologize to the official afterwards. It would probably straighten me up for a long while. And to answer the question, I would say it would remind me to respect the official more properly. A little like some would say that service of some sort or travel would make an American be more appreciative of his or her own country, I would say that working the dark side would make almost every coach a lot more appreciative of the roles of coaches and officials, and would make most coaches better coaches.

On the other side of the implied question, if I observed a coach abusing an official and the official failed to whack, my opinion of the official probably would drop a little, depending on a lot of other factors, too.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I dont coach basketball but I do coach soccer. I've received the equivalent of a T (a card) only once in 11 seasons.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 03:20pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Back when I did coach, I got three T's in one season. First one, opposing player was in-bounds, and bounced the ball once out of bounds, and the official missed it. I made a remark to him when he was in front of me that the ball was three feet OOB and actually bounced off of one of the bench players; he T'd me up. As I reflect on that, I earned it because my tone may have been scarcastic when I said it.

The second and third T's should have been just one, but I blew my stack big time, yelled "this is bull****!" and kicked a chair all at once. Both officials blew their whistle and signaled T and decided that since they both had a T on me, I collected two T's and an ejection. I disagreed with them, but made a exhibitionist exit (ala Bobby Knight) and got my boys fired up. This whole thing ended up leading to me being suspended from our next game. As I look back on it, I was young and stupid, and definitely deserved a T on that.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

When I coached, I got 4 T's in 3 years.

One, my buddy was officiating our game. His partner had not a clue. His partner administered FT. Kid bounced the ball 3-4 times then lost it. The kid WALKED into the lane, picked up the ball, went back to the line and shot the FT. I asked him, is that not a violation. He replied no, and told me that was enough. Yep, I went ballistic. My buddy stuck me. We still run together periodically, and get a good laugh about that night.

Two, away game. Officials are not very good, and their effort was horrible. My kids getting the raw end of more than a couple calls. Home coach, actually stands up, walks toward me, and says, "Coach, I am really sorry about [the officiating]." I finally yelled at one of them that he was horrible. He started to give the T, then stopped. I glared at him and yelled, "HORRIBLE!" That did it. (I earned it.)

Three, same "partner" official as in sit. one, only HIS partner was actually worse. Visitors scores, my team inbounds the ball, and I request a time out. Nothing. His partner WALKS in front me (max. 5 ft. away), I ask for a TO x2. Nothing. Now I start yelling, "TIME OUT!!" (x2-3) NOTHING. Finally, the lead on the other end of the court grants the TO, then gives me a T for yelling at the officials.

Four, we are away. We start the game with 9 players. Home starts with 5 total players. Teams are pretty even talent wise, so I figure it should be a good game. That is until the officials showed up. BOTH from that town, BOTH graduated from that school, and one worked for the school district. They let them play, and it got rough. I asked for them to tighten it down, to no avail. Twice I requested TO's, but was not granted them, even though my player was holding the ball, standing near mid-court with no one within 15 ft. Fouls at end of 1st half (12-3). I know, I know, don't count, just call. 2nd half was worse. Foul count 19-1!! I lost it. I was begging for the T, and he finally gave it, with about 4-5 minutes to play. I begged him to give me a second one too, because I wanted their behinds to take a visit to the State Association's Office. (We video taped our games, so I had all the proof I needed.) Alas, I couldn't get it. One of the ref's did tell me afterward that he was going to throw me out of the gym though. I laughed, told him to go away. (Note: Varsity game, the ref who T'd me was sitting in the stand right behind the home team, cheering them on to victory!) Still gets me a little unnerved.

Obviously, I didn't last in coaching. ha ha
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
Coaches,

When you get a "T" in a basketball game, for something you deserve( I'm not talking about an illegal substitution). How do you feel about it the next day? Especially if you continued to voice your disapproval of the call during the game.

Do you still think the official is a jerk and doesn't know what they are doing, or do you respect him or her alittle more for standing up and enforcing the rules of the sport?, or lastly do you just move on and forget it?
I began coaching basketball at the jr. high level when I was still in high school. I continued coaching (still help out at times when asked) for decades. I got to know many a coach. Some of us got very few technical fouls, others would routinely get two in a game back in the days when an ejection only meant an ejection for the remainder of that game.

Coaches don't necessarily think officials are jerks simply because the official gave them a technical foul. In most cases, technical fouls come after a lengthy "courtship" between official(s) and coach. My technicals virtually all came when arguing about a rule as opposed to a judgment call. The original reason I got my officiating license was solely for the purpose of ensuring that, as a coach, I knew the rules. If I was going to argue a call I wanted to make sure that I was right. Like many of the coaches who have already responded, if I received a technical from an official because he did not know the rules and I pointed it out, I have to admit, I usually thought very little of the official the next day. As a coach, I expected the officials to know the rules. When they didn't -- AND T'd me up -- I had little to no respect for them.

I never got a technical foul for just constant arguing and bickering. Many of my friends have. Most of them know that a line needs to be drawn. As long as the official has been willing to talk to them during the game, generally, the coaches are fine the next day -- or even after the game. If the official either never gave an indication that the technical was coming or refused to even answer questions during the game, the coaches typically thought the official was "a jerk" (to use your term).

Many coaches are remorseful after the fact (after the game, two hours later, the next day, or at some point). Most of those coaches would tell you that they got into the game and got out of line. In those cases, the coaches typically do not view the officials in a negative way -- they understand that the officials have a job to do.

Some coaches show up to every game with a chip on their shoulder ASSUMING that us officials are going to "stick it to their team" somehow during the game. In most cases, these coaches tend to be the ones who get T'd up the most. If you come into a game with a biased view (coaches, parents, fans and players all have a bias since they want their team to win) AND come in with that attitude. Any close game becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Coach has a bias, but is searching for the missed calls that will stick it to his team. Several close calls go against his team (remember, he is looking for them). Coach now gets on the officials -- no one call, just overall about everything. T is the result.

These guys and gals usually do not end up in coaching very long -- OR change their views. These folks wake up the next day thinking the official who called the T is "a jerk", his partners were "jerks", the guys working the game before were "jerks", etc.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 04:52pm
Esteemed Participant

I coach HS football, not basketball, and have gotten one USC penalty flag thrown on me in the years I have coached. I deserved it, wanted it to let my players know I "had their backs", and don't regret it. The situation doesn't really matter, the officials doing the game were letting some dangerous things happen over and over and I let them know we were not pleased. Got the flag and shut up. Sent the tape in to the league office and the crew was suspended for a game.

As basketball officials, we need to realize that there are lots of different reasons why coaches get T'd. It is simply a call - just like any other call we make - and really doesn't deserve any more agonizing over or questioning ourselves than any other call. If it's there, call it.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

15 years of middle school coaching, two T's. First one was during a Wreck league game, official told me one more word and he was going to T me. I turned around and said Thanks. tweet! Deserved it for sure, team started playing better and went on to win...

Second game we were away at this small school, officiating wasn't very good (it is middle school). We were winning by 10+, my player was in the back court being double teamed, heard a whack (ended up with a welt on the side of his neck), defense takes the ball and makes layup. I make a comment, without even getting up, something to the effect of "Are you even watching the game?". Deserved that one for sure, but just trying to protect my players. Shortly after that I had a player make a stupid pass, causing an over and back. Player retrieves the ball, bounces hard and misses the ball on the way up. Not mad at official, just himself. Tweet! Fortunately, we went on to win...
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
(Note: Varsity game, the ref who T'd me was sitting in the stand right behind the home team, cheering them on to victory!) Still gets me a little unnerved.
Wow. This is completely unprofessional . Hopefully this guys has learned his lesson by now...
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

many of the comments seem to suggest that the "T"s given were the result of poor officiating. One specifically mentiond mid school officiating.

Most every one acknowledge's that mid school is a good training ground for officials. But do you coaches think that your view of the officials was somewhat tainted by the fact you were coaching in the game?

It always seems that coaches will say a game had good officials when they win, but poor officiating when they loose...for the most part.

But no one really answered the real question, and it is do you have remorse the day after or do you respect an official more, if that official has the B**ls to give you a "t" for an obvious unsportsmanlike act.