The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

Player bumps ref last night

Kansas/Missouri last night. Kansas player is called for a foul. As he walked toward his bench, he intentionally bumped Scott Thornley. Thornley turned around with a look on his face like "Do you really just do that?" and T'd him.

In a HS game, I would also definitely have tossed. In a college game, I think I probably would have tossed. Never having worked the Big 12, I can't say whether I agree or disagree with a non-flagrant T in that situation.

Anybody else see it? What do you think about tossing the kid in that situation?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

An intentional bump? In HS here in Ontario: flagrant for sure. College: my buddy says if it's a light bump, T. But ejection is possible.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I watched it a couple times. It wasn't flagrant in college. Personally, I thought they just didn't get out of each other's way. Neither the player or the official made much of an attempt to go around each other and they slightly bumped shoulders.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Kansas/Missouri last night. Kansas player is called for a foul. As he walked toward his bench, he intentionally bumped Scott Thornley. Thornley turned around with a look on his face like "Do you really just do that?" and T'd him.

In a HS game, I would also definitely have tossed. In a college game, I think I probably would have tossed. Never having worked the Big 12, I can't say whether I agree or disagree with a non-flagrant T in that situation.

My thirteen year old saw it and he has better judgement than half my partners..........he thought it was intentional.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I watched it a couple times. It wasn't flagrant in college. Personally, I thought they just didn't get out of each other's way. Neither the player or the official made much of an attempt to go around each other and they slightly bumped shoulders.
I slowed it down on TIVO and you could see that the player leaned into the official. It was intentional.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:21am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I slowed it down on TIVO and you could see that the player leaned into the official. It was intentional.
Reminds me of someone.......named OJ

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

I had no problem with the T. I did not think he was ejected, but I would not have minded if that took place.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't NCAA rules allow you to goto the monitor in this type of situation?

I hope school/ coach and league follow up with a more severe punishment!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post

Agreed! This sort of action would send a strong message.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post

I am not sure if they could or not, but if you make a call you do not need the monitor to tell you what happened. You go to the monitor to see if there is a normal play is intentional or flagrant. Or you can find the fouling player.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

I saw it when it happened, and was surprised by the T. Then I saw the replay and thought, OK, I can see getting a T there.

I didn't think of a flagrant until you mentioned it. Still seems a bit of a pissing contest to me.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of this game..

Did anyone see the 5 second count against KU? I'm an MU fan and laughed the whole time.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I am a big KU fan and I thought the bump was intentional when it happened and still thought that after watching the replays. I don't think he was ejected but he didn't play after that. I think Self just benched him. About the "5" second call??? Don't want to talk about it.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
Speaking of this game..

Did anyone see the 5 second count against KU? I'm an MU fan and laughed the whole time.
I actually saw that and was very curious, so before they showed the replay I rewound it on Tivo and used a stopwatch. If you start it the MOMENT the inbounder is out of bounds it was 5.0 seconds when the player touched the ball! (That being said, the first time I timed it I only had 4.5...)
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

yeah, it was a bit suspect at best. the replay showed he whistled it on the fourth visible count, and this as the ball was being thrown in. my wife (a die hard ku fan), who usually hates watching any sporting event because i stick up for the officials 98.2% of the time (she's a coach ), looked at me and said, "what do you think about that one?" i didn't say much, because i kind of agreed with her. i think we got hosed on that one. [fanboy hat off now]