The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

You're right coach....we've got it in for you!

First year doing high school ball...

Had a game last night...visiting team is bigger, stronger, faster, taller, quicker, more athletic than home team. V team outplays, outsmarts and beats H team by double digits. All game long, H head coach is chirping about EVERY call.

Nothing vulgur, no cursing, just being like that annoying little brother you may have grown up with..."lots of contact", "watch the handcheck"....then when HIS team is on defense, "hey, they're pushing off". "Over the back!" (which is NOT in the rule book or manual, but I digress).

I'm sure we missed some calls that could have gone his team's way, but I'm sure we missed some calls the other way too (no official has ever called the perfect game...although Eddie Hightower may beg to differ).

Anyway, after the game is over, the officials locker room is basically the PE coaches office inside the boys locker room (home team's locker).

Home coach knew we were right next door...and decides to throw a temper tantrum in front of his kids as to how bad the officiating was...how we called so many MORE fouls AGAINST his kids than FOR his kids...telling his kids how they actually won the game but the officials lost it for them...blah blah blah.

partner and I just sat there listening, shaking our heads at what an @$$ this guy was making out of himself in front of his kids. My partner and I were both thinking...um, coach, YOU guys were in the bonus in the 2nd half, the other team was NOT.

Sorry, enough ranting. I just find it amazing (and halfway comical) as to how paranoid coaches can be and how they think we automatically have it in for their teams. Thoughts?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

and if his team HAD won - it would have been outstanding effort and great coaching!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post

Had a game last night...visiting team is bigger, stronger, faster, taller, quicker, more athletic than home team. V team outplays, outsmarts and beats H team by double digits. All game long, H head coach is chirping about EVERY call.

Nothing vulgur, no cursing, just being like that annoying little brother you may have grown up with..."lots of contact", "watch the handcheck"....then when HIS team is on defense, "hey, they're pushing off". "Over the back!" (which is NOT in the rule book or manual, but I digress).

I'm sure we missed some calls that could have gone his team's way, but I'm sure we missed some calls the other way too (no official has ever called the perfect game...although Eddie Hightower may beg to differ).

Anyway, after the game is over, the officials locker room is basically the PE coaches office inside the boys locker room (home team's locker).

Home coach knew we were right next door...and decides to throw a temper tantrum in front of his kids as to how bad the officiating was...how we called so many MORE fouls AGAINST his kids than FOR his kids...telling his kids how they actually won the game but the officials lost it for them...blah blah blah.

partner and I just sat there listening, shaking our heads at what an @$$ this guy was making out of himself in front of his kids. My partner and I were both thinking...um, coach, YOU guys were in the bonus in the 2nd half, the other team was NOT.

Sorry, enough ranting. I just find it amazing (and halfway comical) as to how paranoid coaches can be and how they think we automatically have it in for their teams. Thoughts?
During the game, tell him that you don't need his help with running commentary. Tell him that if he has a question about a play, you'll answer it. Don't put up with it anymore after you warn him for it the first time.

Ignore it, get dressed, and get out. It's only hurting him and his players. He doesn't sound like that good of a coach, so he'll dig his own grave.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
and if his team HAD won - it would have been outstanding effort and great coaching!
Well, at least great coaching......And the officials were decent...I think....
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I can only guess that this was a Frosh game -- a Boys Frosh game. Coach was probably under 28 years old. He, too, will learn. Just as you were doing your first HS game, he is likely in his first HS season.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
During the game, tell him that you don't need his help with running commentary. Tell him that if he has a question about a play, you'll answer it. Don't put up with it anymore after you warn him for it the first time.

Ignore it, get dressed, and get out. It's only hurting him and his players. He doesn't sound like that good of a coach, so he'll dig his own grave.
Yeah, I waited too long to do this (into 4th q). Will do that earlier next time if necessary.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Nope, no thoughts. Why waste my brain cells? In your case I would have "accidently" opened the door.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Got a couple of places locally where we dress in an office just inside the home team dressing room. This is an uncomfortable situation. I've never heard a coach give any credit to officials after a game, but they like to take a minute after a loss to make sure you overhear their thoughts.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Nope, no thoughts. Why waste my brain cells? In your case I would have "accidently" opened the door.
Ha ha ha! "Sorry coach, my foot slipped...kinda what happened to your guy those times when you were screaming for a foul"
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:15am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
(no official has ever called the perfect game...although Eddie Hightower may beg to differ).
He's not the only one.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

As you "accidentally" open the door to their locker room . . . You say, "Ooops, sorry coach. We were looking for the 'winner's' locker room. Our apologies." And walk out.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's got no business working with kids and to think, he's probably a teacher too. It's a sad state of affairs.