The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 05:38pm
In Time Out

two false double questions

after the two fts does the ball go to a set spot even if the second ft is made?

Also, do you ever ignore the foul and just call the charge. I had one where the player was on the ground and got fouled and then he continued in the air charging into a player. Clear false double. But say the the foul happened a tenth of a second before the charge- the player has already gone toward the basket and gets fouled just before the charge. Ignore the shooting foul?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 06:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
after the two fts does the ball go to a set spot even if the second ft is made?

Also, do you ever ignore the foul and just call the charge. I had one where the player was on the ground and got fouled and then he continued in the air charging into a player. Clear false double. But say the the foul happened a tenth of a second before the charge- the player has already gone toward the basket and gets fouled just before the charge. Ignore the shooting foul?
Your "I had one" sounds like A1 was driving to the hoop, was fouled by B1, and then after that A1 foul, A1 became airborne, and illegally contacted B2 who had obtained LGP.

I believe that you would NOT ignore A1's foul if in your judgment, B1's foul did not "push" A1 into B2. IOW, if in the shooting motion (pivoting, etc) A1 is fouled by B1 by B1 slapping A1's arm, and then A1 jumped into B2 who had LGP, I would definitely call both. And I have, too. Once in my career.

Regarding your situation to ignore the shooting foul... no, I would not ignore the shooting foul, since it happened before what you normally would judge to be the player control foul.

As to your first question, you penalize the fouls in the order they occured.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not in the group that ignores the second foul when it should be called.
Just to be clear that is when the first foul doesn't make the ball dead, if the offensive player has begun his motion to try for goal.
As you know, the PC would cancel a made goal, but the shooter would still receive 2FTs with the lane cleared.
Lastly, if the second FT is successful then the non-shooting team gets to run the end line.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:11pm
In Time Out

thx. If the offensive player fouls out does the coach pick any player off the bench to shoot the fts? Or shoots first and then goes out of the game
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
thx. If the offensive player fouls out does the coach pick any player off the bench to shoot the fts? Or shoots first and then goes out of the game
If a player is entitled to foul shots, but subsequently is disqualified from further participation (for whatever reason) before the shot(s) are taken, then that player's coach needs to provide a replacement for that player.

This person coming into the game to replace the disqualified player will be the person that shoots the pending free throws. If there are no players eligible to come into the game, the coach may select any person on the court to shoot the pending free throws. That team would then have to continue playing with only 4 players.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm not in the group that ignores the second foul when it should be called.
Just to be clear that is when the first foul doesn't make the ball dead, if the offensive player has begun his motion to try for goal.
As you know, the PC would cancel a made goal, but the shooter would still receive 2FTs with the lane cleared.
Lastly, if the second FT is successful then the non-shooting team gets to run the end line.
Is this a false blarge? I have never seen anyone call the PC after calling B1 for the foul first. Understand you POV, just have never seen it called.

Last edited by shishstripes; Sat Feb 07, 2009 at 02:37am.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 03:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Is this a false blarge? I have never seen anyone call the PC after calling B1 for the foul first. Understand you POV, just have never seen it called.
A blarge is when two officials judge AND signal the same act differently: one as a PC (or charge) and one as a block.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
No, it is a situation such as that detailed in the case book.

FALSE DOUBLE FOUL
4.19.9 SITUATION A: A1 leaps high and is fouled by B1 as he/she taps the ball
which subsequently goes through A’s basket. A1 fouls B2 in returning to the floor.
RULING: This is a false double foul. The foul by B1 does not cause the ball to
become dead. However, the player-control foul by A1 does cause the ball to
become dead and also dictates that no goal can be scored. Since the goal is not
scored, A1 is awarded two free throws for the foul by B1. No players are allowed
along the lane as Team B will be awarded the ball following the last free throw. If
the last throw is successful, the throw-in is from anywhere along the end line. If
the last throw is unsuccessful, the throw-in is from a designated spot nearest the
foul. (4-1; 4-11; 4-41-1; 6-7-7 Exception c: 6-7-4; 7-5-4a)