The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

End of Half Player Control

Last night I was spectating a BV game and the following situation occurred:

A1 gets a steal in the backcourt with less than 5 seconds left in the half and drives toward the basket. B1 has established LGP in front of driving A1 and A1 plows him over on the attempted lay-up. Both kids crash to the floor, ball doesn't go in, and the horn sounds. Guys on the floor have a no-call and the half ends.

Coach for B-team has a few words with the officials as he heads to the locker-room asking for an explanation and is obviously not happy. I am too far into the stands to hear the response.

My question is should this have been a player control even though it occurred right before the buzzer? B1 was stationary and did not move to cut-off A1's attempt at the lay-up and he took the full contact in his chest.

This may be a HTBT situation, but based on my description, what do you have?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:05am
Jerry Blum

Probably was a HTBT. But to answer the question about whether being right before the end of the half or even a quarter it shouldn't matter and you should call the play as you see it regardless of the time on the clock.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:08am
Official & Member

Like you said...probably HTBT, but based on only the facts of your description:

-Player Control foul
-No shots if in bonus
-report and record foul as personal foul.
-End of period...head to the locker room

The only reason I would speculate as to why it was ignored is that the crew determined it happened after the end of the period.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post

A1 gets a steal in the backcourt with less than 5 seconds left in the half and drives toward the basket. B1 has established LGP in front of driving A1 and A1 plows him over on the attempted lay-up. Both kids crash to the floor, ball doesn't go in, and the horn sounds. Guys on the floor have a no-call and the half ends.

Coach for B-team has a few words with the officials as he heads to the locker-room asking for an explanation and is obviously not happy. I am too far into the stands to hear the response.

My question is should this have been a player control even though it occurred right before the buzzer? B1 was stationary and did not move to cut-off A1's attempt at the lay-up and he took the full contact in his chest.

Why is this even a question? Sounds like a textbook PC to me. Unless the lead saw something different, shame on them for watching the clock and not having the gusto to make a call right before the buzzer.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post

Don't not call something just because you know that the horn is imminent. If the contact happened before the buzzer, and it's something you would call without the complication of the horn sounding, then still call it now. Quite frankly, not calling it is unethical.

I've got a PC foul, with an expectation of time still on the clock.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the feedback...

My judgment was that this was an obvious PC that should have been called. It did happen before the horn sounded. The series of events was ball released on the shot, contact, kids hit the floor, horn sounds.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

What would have happened if the ball went in? The B coach probably gets whacked if we have a no call.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 11:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Why is this even a question? Sounds like a textbook PC to me. Unless the lead saw something different, shame on them for watching the clock and not having the gusto to make a call right before the buzzer.
For all we know the crew could have went in at halftime and said "damn, we kicked that last call". Maybe that's what they told the coach and that's why he wasn't happy....or maybe there's a piece of missing information that none of us have privy to. Maybe A1 travelled? Who knows but the crew?

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Feb 06, 2009 at 11:46am.