The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Would you have done it different?

Last night I was working a senior high school boys wreck game. About 2 minutes into the game, my partners whistles A for a foul. As we are switching I ask A2 for the ball. He looks at me, then shoots it and I have to go chasing after the ball. Before I run it down, I hit A with a DOG.

Fast forward to the end of the game. There's about 45 seconds left, A down by 3 and they convert a fast break. While pressuring the inbounder, A3 reaches across the plane with both hands hindering B1 from moving along the baseline. I hit my whistle and call DOG #2 on A. Since this is a technical, I administer 2 free throws and my partner gives the ball to B at the time line.

The last part really has nothing to do with the situation but A is down by 3 with 15 seconds left, gets down the court and with B2 standing perfectly straight up, A1 decides to jump into him while attempting a 3 pointer. Team A, their coach and fans are screaming for a foul as B3 grabs the air ball and dribbles out the clock.

After the game I called one of my friends who is a long time official and officiates high school and small college basketball in the area. He said the only thing he might do different is since it was a 1 point game is hit the whistle after A crossed the plane and tell them to not do that. I believe that would give A an advantage in 2 ways, first it would stop the clock, 2nd it would give them a chance to set up their defense.

I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are on this situation.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. It's not a DOG warning. This is a technical foul for failing to give the ball directly to an official.

2. Do not chase the ball. No one is watching the players while you're chasing the ball around the gym.

3. Did A3 foul B2 while reaching across? If so, it's an intentional foul and a DOG warning.

4. Good no-call.

5. With regard to the DOG warning, just do it by the book.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRef View Post
I have to go chasing after the ball.
You "had to" chase after the ball? As I was taught years ago......if the players want to play, someone will chase after the ball. Not you!

PS - This especially works well if there is a running clock! Just stand there.....someone will get it!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Once had a player point and tell me "there's the ball" - I stood and answered, "yep"
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night I was working a senior high school boys wreck game.
Stop right there. That's what I would do differently.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Quote:
He looks at me, then shoots it.
Agree with Snaqwells... technical foul, turn and go report it (someone else will get the ball).
Quote:
A3 reaches across the plane with both hands hindering B1 from moving along the baseline.
Yes, this is the second DOG in game, and not requiring a warning, per se. However, I probably would still blow the whistle and "remind" the players about the throw-in plane. Of course, if it is abused after that, the T's start flying.
Quote:
... gets down the court and with B2 standing perfectly straight up, A1 decides to jump into him while attempting a 3 pointer.
Probably a no call. Would have to see it for myself.

I don't know if you have a pre-game with captains or the teams at center court, but part of my pre-game has always been (even at HS level), "Gentleman/Ladies, the referees are not going to chase balls. We cannot turn our backs on the court or players and we won't , so please keep the game running smoothly by retrieving the ball if you are closest to it."
Of course, I say this in a nice manner, not trying to give a "holier-than-thou" attitude.

Good luck !
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
I don't know if you have a pre-game with captains or the teams at center court, but part of my pre-game has always been (even at HS level), "Gentleman/Ladies, the referees are not going to chase balls. We cannot turn our backs on the court or players and we won't , so please keep the game running smoothly by retrieving the ball if you are closest to it."
Of course, I say this in a nice manner, not trying to give a "holier-than-thou" attitude.

Good luck !
I find that "The young folks chase the ball" gets the same message across without sounding so "officious." That said, I rarely give that speech -- and just ask whoever is closest to chase it down if / when the ball gets away.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Before I run it down, I hit A with a DOG.
Did you just happen to carry a dog with you onto the court? Did someone call the ASPCA?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
Did you just happen to carry a dog with you onto the court? Did someone call the ASPCA?
If he used a poodle, no one will care. That's what they're for.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night I was working a senior high school boys wreck game. About 2 minutes into the game, my partners whistles A for a foul. As we are switching I ask A2 for the ball. He looks at me, then shoots it and I have to go chasing after the ball. Before I run it down, I hit A with a DOG.

That should NEVER happen. I have been told in camp more than a dozen times, "the ball will find you." GREAT piece of advice. As for the player who shot. I have no problem with a warning here, but to each his own.

Fast forward to the end of the game. There's about 45 seconds left, A down by 3 and they convert a fast break. While pressuring the inbounder, A3 reaches across the plane with both hands hindering B1 from moving along the baseline. I hit my whistle and call DOG #2 on A. Since this is a technical, I administer 2 free throws and my partner gives the ball to B at the time line. Good. 2nd DOG doesn't get a second warning. They get the "T". As Snaq said . . . if there was contact on the player - Intentional Foul . . . on the ball - Technical.

The last part really has nothing to do with the situation but A is down by 3 with 15 seconds left, gets down the court and with B2 standing perfectly straight up, A1 decides to jump into him while attempting a 3 pointer. Team A, their coach and fans are screaming for a foul as B3 grabs the air ball and dribbles out the clock. Can't fix stupid. Of course, you could call a PCF and send it the other way. Sounds like a good NO CALL.

After the game I called one of my friends who is a long time official and officiates high school and small college basketball in the area. He said the only thing he might do different is since it was a 1 point game is hit the whistle after A crossed the plane and tell them to not do that. May work for him, but he certainly cannot justify that action based on the rules. I would disagree with this official.I believe that would give A an advantage in 2 ways, first it would stop the clock, 2nd it would give them a chance to set up their defense.

I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are on this situation.
Those are my thoughts.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I always bring my seeing eye dog to the games. Who else is going to see the calls for me?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

For the very reason bigdogrunnin suggest not to stop play and warn them again (you have no rules support), I would say not to give a DOG warning for the player shooting a dead ball after you asked for the ball. You have no rules support for that.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
For the very reason bigdogrunnin suggest not to stop play and warn them again (you have no rules support), I would say not to give a DOG warning for the player shooting a dead ball after you asked for the ball. You have no rules support for that.
Could you give both a DOG AND a T?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
What is DOG is clearly listed. This is not one of those situations.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
LDUB is right. If you do issue the DOG, you have no rules backing later when you go straight to the T for what should have been a DOG warning.