The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

How do you measure closely guarded?

Got to work a great GV game last night. Two good teams with good coaching playing there hearts out until the end of the game.

The only down side of the game for me was a semi-confrontation with the visiting coach regarding closely guarded distances.

It happened this way: 4th quarter and visiting team slowly getting back into the game after trailing most of it. Home team guard is dribbling in her front court and trying to run time off the clock. Defender gets within six feet of dribbler and I start a five second count, about the count of four, the dribbler backs away from the defender about two steps, and I signal not closely guarded. Defender moves back in toward the dribbler and I start a second count, dribbler moves away from defender and again I signal not closely guarded. This scenario happens four times, then a quick pass and home team scores.

Visitors call a time out and the head coach asks for a word with me. I accommodate him and he is a little irate because in his opinion, even when the dribbler backed out, his defender was still within the six foot closely guarded distance. I try to assure him I am judging the distance from the players feet, and not their arms, but he's not buying it. Partner comes over and seeing it is going to be a no-win discussion, says "coach we will watch it a little closer the next time" and that ends the conversation.

I admit my six feet to start a count might be closer to five or five and a half feet at times depending on whether the defender is actively guarding her opponent, or just standing there. I have no problems with the coach bringing it to my attention because it made me think that he might have a valid point.

Have any of you ever had a coach ask you this question? How do you judge six feet on the floor.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:21am
We don't rent pigs

I say judge it exactly the way you did, with your best estimate. The distance is to be measured from the forward foot of the defender to the forward foot of the ballhandler. Having said this, you still use your best estimate.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Got to work a great GV game last night. Two good teams with good coaching playing there hearts out until the end of the game.

The only down side of the game for me was a semi-confrontation with the visiting coach regarding closely guarded distances.

It happened this way: 4th quarter and visiting team slowly getting back into the game after trailing most of it. Home team guard is dribbling in her front court and trying to run time off the clock. Defender gets within six feet of dribbler and I start a five second count, about the count of four, the dribbler backs away from the defender about two steps, and I signal not closely guarded. Defender moves back in toward the dribbler and I start a second count, dribbler moves away from defender and again I signal not closely guarded. This scenario happens four times, then a quick pass and home team scores.

Visitors call a time out and the head coach asks for a word with me. I accommodate him and he is a little irate because in his opinion, even when the dribbler backed out, his defender was still within the six foot closely guarded distance. I try to assure him I am judging the distance from the players feet, and not their arms, but he's not buying it. Partner comes over and seeing it is going to be a no-win discussion, says "coach we will watch it a little closer the next time" and that ends the conversation.

I admit my six feet to start a count might be closer to five or five and a half feet at times depending on whether the defender is actively guarding her opponent, or just standing there. I have no problems with the coach bringing it to my attention because it made me think that he might have a valid point.

Have any of you ever had a coach ask you this question? How do you a judge six feet on the floor.
It's a good thing for a coach to bring up because an offensive violation means B gets possession - without the need to foul, possibly giving A dead-ball points. I think you did right by talking to the coach, since you didn't mention he didn't ask in a mean manner.

I also hate it when my P comes over and gets in my conversation. I wish Ps would bugger off. I can handle myself.

I do agree with the way that your P ended the conversation, though. "Coach, I understand your strategy - I'll continue to watch those situations closely."

As for how to judge 6 feet? During an association meeting, ask to see a gym; get out your 38 foot piece of rope, and make a circle with it. Have someone stand in the middle. There's your 6 foot distance.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the closely-guarded rule was clarified last year to read forward foot to forward foot in the definition (4-10).

I have been given some tips on how to use the markings on the floor to help judge that six-foot distance during play.

1. The FT line to the the top of the FT semi-circle is six feet.
2. The division line to the top of the center restraining circle is six feet.
3. The width of the FT lane is twelve feet. So from the middle of the lane to either side is six feet.
4. Any two adjoining marked lane spaces encompass six feet of space.
5. If you are standing on the 28' has mark which forms the end of the coaching box nearest the table and looking straight across the court, it is exactly three feet to the three point line at the apex of the FT semi-circle.

If you have two players near those areas, the court markings can really help you judge six feet. If you familiarize yourself with those markings and get a good feel for those distances, you can more readily translate it to other areas of the floor.

Anyway, it was helpful to me.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 02:49am.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Great points Nevada, 5 isn't true for all courts but 1-4 are excellent points.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 07:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Metric ???

Remember it's 1.8288 meters for our Ontario neighbors who, unlike the rest of
Canada, I believe still use NFHS, not FIBA, rules. I'm sure that JugglingReferee can enlighten us regarding this.

http://www.unitconversion.org/length...onversion.html
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have been given some tips on how to use the markings on the floor to help judge that six-foot distance during play.

2. The division line to the top of the center restraining circle is six feet.
3. The width of the FT lane is twelve feet. So from the middle of the lane to either side is six feet.
4. Any two adjoining marked lane spaces encompass six feet of space.
5. If you are standing on the 28' has mark which forms the end of the coaching box nearest the table and looking straight across the court, it is exactly three feet to the three point line at the apex of the FT semi-circle.
6. On a standard HS court, it's just about 12' (I think it's really 12'3" or something) between the 3-point arc and the center circle.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Remember it's 1.8288 meters for our Ontario neighbors who, unlike the rest of
Canada, I believe still use NFHS, not FIBA, rules. I'm sure that JugglingReferee can enlighten us regarding this.

http://www.unitconversion.org/length...onversion.html
Ontario was the only province to use Fed, and now it's just Ontario HS. Rumours are that Ontario HS goes to FIBA in 2011 or so.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 08:41am
Ref Ump Welsch

Helpful hints on measuring that six feet. I'll have to keep these in mind.

I did have a coach on Saturday morning (Boys JV game) who kept yelling "five" every time any of his guys were in a LGP on someone with a ball, even when they weren't remotely close to six feet within. A couple times, he was yelling it when they didn't have LGP. 1st Q, I kind of let it go as stupidity on his part, but early in 2nd Q, I realized he was trying to be an a** so I talked to him during a dead ball and told him they have to be six feet or less and LGP. He pretty much knocked it off after, yelling "five" only when he saw my partner or I swing our arms on the count. Halftime, I told him to knock it off or he would be getting the gift that taketh the box in the 2nd half.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
6. On a standard HS court, it's just about 12' (I think it's really 12'3" or something) between the 3-point arc and the center circle.
For an 84' court that distance is exactly 11'.
For a 94' court it would be 16'.

Note that the top of the 3-point arc is 25' from the end line.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

This is always a matter of the OFFICIAL's JUDGEMENT. As a coach, if you accomodate me by discussing it, and you demonstrate to me with a good explanation like you said you gave (regarding the feet, not the hands, etc) that you actually were monitoring the play for exactly what I wanted you to be judging, I say you've been GREAT and Thanks for your attentiveness. As a coach, I'm always gonna swear my 7 feet should be your 5.5 feet, but in the end, what more could a reasonable coach expect from you?? Good job - nice comm.

Last edited by imagomer; Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 11:57am. Reason: spelling
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post

I did have a coach on Saturday morning (Boys JV game) who kept yelling "five" every time any of his guys were in a LGP on someone with a ball, even when they weren't remotely close to six feet within. A couple times, he was yelling it when they didn't have LGP. 1st Q, I kind of let it go as stupidity on his part, but early in 2nd Q, I realized he was trying to be an a** so I talked to him during a dead ball and told him they have to be six feet or less and LGP. He pretty much knocked it off after, yelling "five" only when he saw my partner or I swing our arms on the count. Halftime, I told him to knock it off or he would be getting the gift that taketh the box in the 2nd half.

I have done this before . . .when a coach or a team on the bench has been repeatedly counting as I count my 5-sec CG count . . . I stop counting and drop my arm. Coach asks why . . . "Coach, when you start counting over me, I get lost and have to start over." Usually ends their counting, and allows me to do the job. Doesn't work for everyone, and I am certain some will disagree, but wanted to put it out there.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post

LGP is not required.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post

Have any of you ever had a coach ask you this question? How do you judge six feet on the floor.
And just for the record, I don't think that six feet and closely guarded belong in the same sentence, but, hey, it is the NFHS rule.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Is that right? I haven't pulled out my court markings guide in a while, but isn't the FT line 15 feet from the basket and 3 point line 19'9". I could be wrong but that was my recollection.