The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Another First!

Beings that I am a rookie official, I guess I shouldn't be surprised with anything, but today I had my first 1-man game! I had received an e-mail from my scheduled partner this morning saying that he does not officiate games because of his new work schedule, and that our assignor has not returned e-mails or phone calls. Okey dokey. No problem, I will just plan on working on my own.

I show up to the gym and sure enough, I'm the only one in stripes there. I talk to both coaches before the game, and assure them that I will do everything I can, but I will be by myself.

Luckily for me both coaches could not have been better about it. Only once during the game did they say anything to me, and both were complimentary after the game.

I feel like I did a pretty good job. I know I missed a couple of calls, but overall I think I called the game evenly, and more importantly fairly.

I tried to stay foul line to foul line for most of the game, but did end up going under the basket occasionally, and I also would go from sideline to sideline depending on how the team was running their offense. What is the normal procedure for working a one man game?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Great question.
I have yet to 1-man officiate a basketball game nor have I seen anyone do it.
Could someone please provide a link or adequate description of the "1-man mechanic" ?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Opening a can of Liability

In Wisconsin, not an allowable choice. State association mandates two officials or the game is not played.

I would not want to defend my decision in court (legal proceedings) to "just play the game", if a player gets hurt in a "1-whistle" game.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSidbury View Post
Great question.
I have yet to 1-man officiate a basketball game nor have I seen anyone do it.
Could someone please provide a link or adequate description of the "1-man mechanic" ?

Thanks,
Paul
Start opposite table and go where you need to go, calling what you can.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Grab a bag of pop corn and drink and head for the 5th row about mid-court the fans seem to see everything from there........ and better than we do on the floor!!!
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 11:12pm
In Time Out

on the last ft I pass off and then start drifting toward the 3pt line. I don't really go ft to ft either but stay out a bit so I can take in a wider view. Also, I go ahead of the point guard sometimes to watch the other 9 players. Doing a 1 person can be all right but no way can someone get all the calls right especially the out of bounds calls.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 08:24am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7 View Post
What is the normal procedure for working a one man game?
Below is some guidance I cut and pasted from another poster/some earlier suggestions on working by one's self. While I don't agree with all of them, and I'm sure others have ideas too, this will give you some things to consider:

- THE ART OF ONE-PERSON MECHANICS -

Sooner or later every referee works alone. Sometimes your co-official has an emergency, and it is too late to find a replacement. More commonly, your assignor does not have enough officials on a particular date and you receive the honor. Manuals and training in two- and three-person mechanics are readily available, but no formal training exists for one person mechanics. This article intends to provide effective tools and guidelines for performing at a high level as a crew of one.

Most importantly, do not panic. You can do this. Staring wistfully out the gym door and frantically searching among the fans, or (worse) the assistant coaches, for a suitable partner is a waste of valuable time. You are now the R in the game. Act the part. Take care of all normal pre-game duties.

Working solo requires special attention to some key areas:

Coaches and Administrators Conference: Conduct a pre-game meeting with both coaches and the game administrator. Confirm that everyone is in agreement. Request coaches cooperation and express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and the game under control. Stress and remind them of the importance of good sportsmanship and the example that they can and should set for their players. Advise the game administrator that the cooperation of spectators will also be expected.

Table: Inform the scorekeeper that once he or she makes eye contact with you during a foul, the report will be made without further eye contact (more on this later). Table personnel should be prepared to assist you if you question whether or not a shot went in the basket.

PLAYERS: Gather all starting players just before the jump ball, and explain these situation. 1. If you request help on an out of bounds call, the call will be made by the players (players always know this one anyway). If opposing players disagree on the call, you will award the ball according to the possession arrow. Any disagreement at all, period - goes to the arrow. 2. Inbounds plays may require you to make some unusually long bounce passes to the inbounder, even to the point of passing the ball through parts of the playing floor, and these passes must reach the inbounder without interference. 3, In addition to retrieving loose balls you will expect them to hold the ball during any report to the table until you request it.
Coaches: Let them know that you will be far too busy to converse with them during the course of the contest.

Now you are ready to toss it up. If you understand three person mechanics you will work primarily from the C and T positions. Work from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. Do not go to the baseline or lead position unless absolutely necessary for play coverage. Drives to the basket will be officiated from behind the play while closing down toward the baseline to maintain an angle. Intelligent sacrifices must be made in off ball coverage. For example, opposing players more than six feet apart do not need your attention. Maintain a wide field of view and referee through the play. Otherwise, it is business as usual with a few exceptions as follows.

Floor Coverage: Work the sideline, opposite the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor. Avoid getting caught on the end line. If the play takes you to the tableside get back to the opposite side as soon as play will allow you to cross the floor. If you have a foul call while tableside, go opposite before you stop to report.

Foul reports: Stay wide of the players. Move to a spot, stop, and stand still to facilitate a clear report. Glance at the scorekeeper to make sure you have his or her attention, then give the report without taking your eyes off the players. You work and report from table opposite so your back is never to the players.

Free throws: Administer all attempts from the trail position facing the table. Observe initial placement of the free thrower’s feet, but then focus attention on the other players along the free throw lane lines.

Out of Bounds: Request players and coaches to assist you on out of bounds violations. If a disagreement results, use the alternating possession arrow to make the decision. After designating the throw-in spot, move to your position (see Floor Coverage) and either bounce or toss the ball to the player for the throw-in.

Inbounds plays: This one requires common sense on your part. Obtain a position that allows you to see the whole play and bounce the ball to the inbounder from that spot, even if you must pass it between players. Inform the players of where you will pass the ball in unusual situations and say the word "play" as soon as you are certain the inbounder has secured the ball.

Time outs: Stand in the center circle facing the table scorer’s table with ball on hip toward the teams’ basket which will have control of the ball. Do not forget the spot if an inbounds play follows the time out. After 1st horn, move to area on the playing court where play will resume.

Transition offense: Trail the play slightly. Dont neglect the players that are trailing but focus on the action at the point of attack.

Pressure defense: Maintain position even with or one step ahead of the ball and stay as wide as possible.

Trouble spots: The most difficult play coverage occurs when the ball goes to the comer on the other side of the floor. It usually helps to move toward the division line and into the middle of the floor as long as you can stay clear of players at the top of the key. Do not get caught out there in transition.

Three Point Shots: Do not guess. Move to improve your angle or request coaches to assist with the proper call.

Presses: Remain at the free throw line extended in the backcourt, opposite the scorer/timer table and move up the court with the players.

Maintain Control Maintain your composure. You may need to blow your whistle more so players do not take advantage of the situation. Take charge early to help keep the crazy stuff in check. Do not argue with the coaches. Keep your cool and remind them that you are working hard for them. Do the best you can. It is not your fault that this situation occurred. Remember that, if approached properly, people will almost always be willing to assist. Remember that you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one.

These recommendations are made with the hope that you will land your next solo flight without incident. Feel free to modify to fit your style or situation as needed. A crew of one is certainly not the ideal situation, but if you can get the players to work with you, a solo game can be a very rewarding experience. In fact, you may be amazed at how well the players respond with one referee and what great sportsmanship they often exhibit in this situation.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:07am
Suppref

Where did you find that?

Unfortunately, I have worked numerous games alone (even when I had a partner). I agree with everything posted with the exception of which sideline to run. I found if you run the sideline with the table and coaches, you will have the same view as the coaches and there is less discussion about calls.

Otherwise, the information you supplied should tremendously helpful to first time loners!
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

I did forget to mention that this game only lasted about an hour and 5 minutes. Makes up for a couple of the doozy's that I have had this year with one partner.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the "Art of One-Person Mechanics" about a month ago on one of the forums. I thought it was great. A couple of nights later I get to the gym and do not have a partner. I had called a couple of JH games by myself but this was a HS game.

Things went great. I informed both coaches that I would be using one-person mechanics, gave them a quick rundown of how it would work and generally acted like it was a common practice.

Without the forums, I would have been lost and making crap up. This is a good read and something every official should have some knowledge of.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 04:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut One Person ...

Here's Connecticut's (IAABO) first attempt at some one-person mechanics guidelines. Rather than "reinventing the wheel", we decided to start with some guidelines created by the Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and the Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association):

ONE-PERSON OFFICIATING GUIDELINES
INTERIM DRAFT – OCTOBER 2008
It is quite possible that you will eventually officiate a game by yourself. This document offers officiating guidelines and one-person officiating mechanics you should follow.

Assignment Commissioner
- Contact the Commissioner either before or after the game.
- If you are assigned a game by the Assignment Commissioner, DO NOT accept an offer from a parent, coach, or a non-IAABO certified official. Work alone. Liability issues arise if you work with anyone other than a certified IAABO official.

Coaches and Administrators Conference
- Conduct a pre-game meeting with both coaches and the game administrator.
- Confirm that everyone is in agreement.
- Request coaches cooperation and express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and their teams under control.
- Stress and remind them of the importance of good sportsmanship and the example that they can and should set for their players.

Pregame Captains-Coaches Meeting
- Conduct at 2-minute mark
- Explain that you will appreciate and expect the cooperation from both teams.
- Explain that you expect the players to retrieve all loose balls once the whistle is sounded.

Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
- As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor.
- Avoid getting caught on the end line.
- You must work hard at getting open looks and move to obtain proper angles in order to be in the most advantageous position to referee all players. Have a high level of awareness on plays to the basket and shooters.

Start/Stop Clock
- You must stop/start clock at all opportunities using the proper mechanic. For example, after a missed free throw that will remain live, you must start the clock.

Out of Bounds
- Request players and coaches to assist you on out of bounds violations if necessary.
- If disagreement results, use the alternating possession arrow to make decision.
- After designating the throw-in spot, move to your position (see Floor Coverage) and either bounce or toss the ball to the player for the throw-in.

Time Outs
- Stand at the division line, ¾ away from the scorer’s table with ball on hip toward the teams’ basket which will have control of the ball. After 1st horn, move to area on the playing court where play will resume.

Three Point Shots
- Do not guess. Move to improve your angle, if you don’t know, it counts as 2-points the same as if there were two officials working the game.

Reporting Fouls
- Move towards an area visible to the scorers and keeping as many players within your field of vision.

Free Throw Coverage
- Assemble the players and administer every free throw from the Trail position.
- Ensure proper alignment of players on free throw lane lines, leaving the first spaces between the end line and neutral blocks vacant.
- Closely monitor disconcertion.

Presses
- Remain at the free throw line extended in the backcourt, (nearest or opposite) the scorer/timer table and move up the court with the players.

Maintain Control
- Maintain your composure.
- You may need to blow your whistle more so players do not take advantage of the situation.
- Take charge early to help keep the crazy stuff in check.
- Do not argue with the coaches. Keep your cool and remind them that you are working hard for them.
- Do the best you can. It is not your fault that this situation occurred.
- Remember that, if approached properly, people will almost always be willing to assist.
- Remember that you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one.

Sources: Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and
Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 04:08pm.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I had two last year....must be a Utah thing!

I like what I have read before me....Depends on the level of play, but I will cheat a little more if I able to still be back in a good position in transition. I'm no expert, but I think the key is to hustle and get the best possible look at plays.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Credit Where Credit Is Due ...

Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association) One Person Mechanics:

http://www.topekaofficials.com/PDF%2...0Mechanics.pdf
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Well I have done my share of one man here in Utah, and for the most part enjoy them more that others.

I have start many a game one-man and have got a half or more and another official shows up, if they are assigned to the game I let them come in and help finish. If they are just early for the next game I say I got it covered.

I have learned that once you start one man and goto two man, the games whole complextion changes, in fact my partner and I on Wednesday were talking about the very subject. I love saying I didn't see that one, regardless of what I may have missed. I do the best I can and coaches appreaciate it. I also like saying who did the ball go OB on, when I am opposite the table and have no clue, if they can't conclude, I quickly go to alternating postion. The next time they always have a player.

Way to go BC7, give me a call if you ever have something like that happen again,or call Greg.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
Well I have done my share of one man here in Utah, and for the most part enjoy them more that others.

I have start many a game one-man and have got a half or more and another official shows up, if they are assigned to the game I let them come in and help finish. If they are just early for the next game I say I got it covered.

I have learned that once you start one man and goto two man, the games whole complextion changes, in fact my partner and I on Wednesday were talking about the very subject. I love saying I didn't see that one, regardless of what I may have missed. I do the best I can and coaches appreaciate it. I also like saying who did the ball go OB on, when I am opposite the table and have no clue, if they can't conclude, I quickly go to alternating postion. The next time they always have a player.

Way to go BC7, give me a call if you ever have something like that happen again,or call Greg.
I appreciate the advice. I do agree with the fact that sometimes it is almost easier to be by yourself in comparison to some of the partners I've had this year. Hahaha. I have already talked to Greg about it.

The funny thing is I worked another game by myself today. I did two HS age Rec league games, and the first one I did by myself, the 2nd one I had a high school kid who had done some of the 7th grade games earlier in the day help me.

I talked to my partner from a Sophomore game last night, and he told me that if that situation ever came up again to give him a call and see if he is available because he'd love to help.

agra8zebra- do you only do Varsity games, or do you sometimes do lower level games?