Thread: Another First!
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Another First!

Beings that I am a rookie official, I guess I shouldn't be surprised with anything, but today I had my first 1-man game! I had received an e-mail from my scheduled partner this morning saying that he does not officiate games because of his new work schedule, and that our assignor has not returned e-mails or phone calls. Okey dokey. No problem, I will just plan on working on my own.

I show up to the gym and sure enough, I'm the only one in stripes there. I talk to both coaches before the game, and assure them that I will do everything I can, but I will be by myself.

Luckily for me both coaches could not have been better about it. Only once during the game did they say anything to me, and both were complimentary after the game.

I feel like I did a pretty good job. I know I missed a couple of calls, but overall I think I called the game evenly, and more importantly fairly.

I tried to stay foul line to foul line for most of the game, but did end up going under the basket occasionally, and I also would go from sideline to sideline depending on how the team was running their offense. What is the normal procedure for working a one man game?