The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 01:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Question for our Canadian officials

Guys - just curious. What rule sets do you use up there for the various levels of school games (HS and college). Is it all FIBA or do you use any NCAA or NF rule sets at all? Does it vary by province?

Also, is it an automatic technical if a coach calls you a hoser?

Thanks, eh?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 01:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Get oat!
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 01:54pm
MABO Member

All Areas in Canada have converted to FIBA except, JugglingRef can correct me, for some areas in Ontario. This applies to all levels as well, from Community club to CIS (college/university). Many local associations will adopt minor modifications to the rules to achieve desired affects, such as run times, reduced or even combined period times, etc.

as for the auto T, Well as someone so esteemed as yourself can understand, NOTHING is ever AUTOMATIC!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Like Smoke said, every level of ball is FIBA except High School in Ontario... I hear very soon though Ontario will be switching to FIBA...
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Yup - Ontario high school uses Federation. Women's University ball in Ontario was modified FIBA, while Men's was modified NCAA. Community College ball was modified NCAA (but I think not as many modifications as University). Club ball in Ontario was Fed. Everywhere else in Canada, I believe was FIBA, except perhaps British Columbia I can see maybe using NCAA rules.

Basketball Canada finally got everyone on board to use one rule set: FIBA. The only holdover is OFSAA (Ontario high school) - they still use NFHS. I think part of the reason to stay Fed are that the gyms are lined for Fed. And schools likely can't afford shot clocks. And I'm sure that there are delicate OFSAA egos in the mix too.

I think the push to use one ruleset across the country is part of the BeOne initiative. Many of us have been wishing for this for 15 years or more.

Personally, I like FIBA rules better than Fed. And it doesn't make sense to me to use a ruleset that we don't have an input to what the rules are. At least with FIBA, Basketball Canada can go to FIBA and say, "this is what Canada thinks", and FIBA will have to listen. If OFSAA went to the NFHS and said "how about this rule change", I except that the NFHS would chuckle.

And since I am a hoser, the coach who calls me a hoser first gets the next call. In a game once, a V coach called me a homer and I thought he said hoser. That was weird to not only not T him, but to "miss" a travel.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Jan 30, 2009 at 08:49am.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:16am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
Like Smoke said, every level of ball is FIBA except High School in Ontario... I hear very soon though Ontario will be switching to FIBA...
I've heard this as well. 2010 or 2011, I think.