The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I was wondering how an Illegal Block can happen by the Kicking Team during a Kickoff. Saw this called in the Ottawa/McMaster CIS game on Sat.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

An illegal block can be called against any player on the field regardless of offensive/defensive status.

It is basically a push from behind.

Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 07:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger49
I was wondering how an Illegal Block can happen by the Kicking Team during a Kickoff. Saw this called in the Ottawa/McMaster CIS game on Sat.
Oh yes, the 59-1 game. An illegal block is penalized 10 yards, from PBH, point ball held. We have a poem here, "See the foul, find the ball, make the call." The official saw the infraction, deemed that it had an impact on the play, looked to see where the ball was, and then threw his flag. An advanced mechanic is to throw your flag to PBH, because you can then adjust 10 yards from the flag.

An illegal block by the kicking was likely called because a receiving team member was all set to block an opponent (a kicking team player) from advancing to the ball carrier, ie. make more room for the kick returner. He then was blocked in the back by another kicking team player who extended his hands/arms into the receiving team player's back.

Julian is correct in stating that offensive/defensive status has no impact of who may commit an IB. However, it usually is against the team in possession of the ball. Similar to holding is usually on the offense. Defensive holding is rare.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Seeing how we're on the topic of Canadian football, Mike, have you ever reffed touch games?? At our meeting tonight, the touch assignor asked me if I wanted to start, just wondering if you've got any advice on that front.