The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I ended up watching part of a CFL game on NESN last night while channel surfing, and had a few questions for our northern friends.

(1) I know that the field and end zones are longer than the American counterpart, but is the field wider, too? (American is 160ft. wide.)

(2) How many officials are used in your pro game? I could only count 6. Is the Back Judge positioned really deep?

(3) If there are only 6 officials, and if the field really is wider, how do you cover the middle on long plays?

(4) What's the rule on motion at the snap? I almost shouted the first few times I saw 4 or 5 guys rushing the line at the snap.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 10:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Info

Hey Mark,

There is actually quite a large CFL fanbase in the US. Other forums I read have American contributors.

(1) The field is in fact wider. Everything in our game is in yards: the field is 65 yards wide. Hash marks are 24 yards in from the sidelines. The pro and amateur games have the same field markings. (Unlike the NFL, NCAA and Fed - as the Hall of Fame game showed.)

(2) We use 7. Referee, Umpire, Head Linesman, Line Judge. There are 3 deep guys. The Field Judge is 25 yards deep, in the middle. The Side Judge is on the HL side, 20 yards deep, and the Back Judge is on the LJ's side, 20 yards deep. It's easy to remember which guy is which by remembering that the two deep sideline guys have 4 letters in their position (side and back), and the other guy has 5 - he's in the middle of the "field".

(3) I guess this does not apply.

(4) Team A must line up with an eligible on the LS, but can have guys in motion hitting the line at the snap. In fact, the allowance is he can even be in the neutral zone! Keep in mind that our neutral zone is different than yours.

The philosophy is that if the sideline official can see the ball still in the centre's hands just before the snap, when the guy in motion to the LS gets to the LS, it is offside on team A. If the guys is blocking the sideline guy's view of the ball, there is no foul.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 10:24am

Who was on the game last night?

Who was the R: 62? 28? 48? 66? 64? 32?

28 has a French accent. It is HILARIOUS the way he says, "Saskatchewan."

Another guy I know is an R with an accent and in one game, with Team A wearing red, he said, "I have holding (short pause b/c he forgot the #) on the red sna-pear."

It's still a great story. LOL
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Canadian Info

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
(4) Team A must line up with an eligible on the LS, but can have guys in motion hitting the line at the snap. In fact, the allowance is he can even be in the neutral zone! Keep in mind that our neutral zone is different than yours.
I know your neutral zone is one yard beyond the ball but does it also include the ball?
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 11:17am

No, it does not include the ball.

After an official marks forward progress (FP), the U places the ball such that the tip of the ball is parallel to the FP. The rest of the ball lies in the offensive backfield. So, from that tip, to 1 yard in advance of that tip, is the NZ.

If on 3rd down (remember we only have 3 downs), the LTG is not reached, the R is to rotate the ball 180 degrees so that the FP mark remains the same. In reality, it is the U that does this.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 11:18am

I believe your free blocking zone is equivalent to our close line play area. The CLPA is from tackle to tackle, and within 2 yards of the LS.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

The FBZ is 6 x 8. 3 yards to the front and behind the ball and 4 yards to either side. If the splits are too wide then a lineman might not be in the box.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who was on the game last night?

Who was the R: 62? 28? 48? 66? 64? 32?

28 has a French accent. It is HILARIOUS the way he says, "Saskatchewan."

Another guy I know is an R with an accent and in one game, with Team A wearing red, he said, "I have holding (short pause b/c he forgot the #) on the red sna-pear."

It's still a great story. LOL
I'm pretty sure it was 28 - didn't see him announce any penalties, though - I just chuckled at the announcers' accents.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

For the Canadian guys, there has been a Canadian forum started at http://www.refstripes.com/forum. It was started at the request of one poster, but it hasn't really been used much yet. If you guys that work Canadian rules would like a place just to talk Canadian rules, feel free to use it.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Canadian Info

Quote:

(2) We use 7. Referee, Umpire, Head Linesman, Line Judge. There are 3 deep guys. The Field Judge is 25 yards deep, in the middle. The Side Judge is on the HL side, 20 yards deep, and the Back Judge is on the LJ's side, 20 yards deep. It's easy to remember which guy is which by remembering that the two deep sideline guys have 4 letters in their position (side and back), and the other guy has 5 - he's in the middle of the "field".
Interesting - I'll have to take a closer look next time I watch, because I couldn't see anyone deep in the center of the field.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 04:13pm

Mark,

You should see our 6-person mechanics! Blocking downfield is legal if the forward pass is attempted to a player behind the LS.

To rule on that, we keep a side guy on the LS. We then keep a deep official on the same sideline and the other deep official plays midfield. There, the sideline guy not keeping the LS in a way has to do double duty - cover his area and deep along the same sideline.

I know it sounds weird, but for those that can read and react well, and aren't fat and slow, they can cover the extra area without a problem.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know it sounds weird, but for those that can read and react well, and aren't fat and slow, they can cover the extra area without a problem.
Not really - for intramurals, we worked a modified 3 or 4 man mechanics where the linesman (should) have known whether to stay or to go downfield for the pass - if he went downfield, the R would come up to watch the line for illegal forward passes.

The association I'm joining this fall uses a modified 3-man system with an R, LJ, and HL - I'm guessing one of the linesmen will have to do something similar.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey JR, are you suggesting that there are some of us that are a little overweight? It comes from consuming wings and beer after the game.

Had another interesting one last night. It must be me this year but I went to a football game and a fight broke out. It was an NFC game. One play alone, three URs and one RP - ejection.

By the way, Ikeep meaning to ask you. Did you get that commenmorative coin that I sent you for the coin toss. I heard from another official that it keeps turning up. A lot of refs are using our coin this year.

Finally, any new refs coming on line for the fall? As usual, we can handle their orders. Do you know when your clinics are this fall, and if so, do you want us to attend?

Old Sun Aug 14, 2005, 06:29am

LOL I did hear about a team with 20 fouls - 18 of them URs or OCs. Crazy.

We will be having a clinic - I am not yet sure when. Our next exec mtg is the 22nd, and will decide then when we're meeting with the general membership. It will likely be mid-September. Someone will let you know.

I did receive the coin - thank you very much. I will be using it for minor games and HS this year.