The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 10:59pm
In Time Out

backcourt questions, and line neutral?

A1 in the backcourt passes to A2 who catches the ball with one foot in the frontcourt. Edit- Second foot is in the backcourt. A2 then throws a pass to A3 who jumps from the backcourt and lands in the frontcourt. Violation?
2. Same but A2 catches with both feet in the backcourt and dribbles once in the frontcourt. A2 then does the pass to A3.

Midcourt line, division line or whatever people call it. Is the line neutral? By that I mean if A2 foot is on the line but not in the frontcourt is it still in the backcourt. Same with a dribble on the line and if the ref can’t tell if it is advanced do you wait for one more to tell if it is clearly over.

I think I saw somewhere here that only when dribbling does the 3 points count, is that true? If that is then I’m thinking 1 is a violation and 2 isn’t.

Last edited by mutantducky; Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 11:49pm.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming A2's second foot is not in the BC, the first play is a violation.

The second play is legal.

Yes, three points only works when dribbling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
1. A1 in the backcourt passes to A2 who catches the ball with one foot in the frontcourt. A2 then throws a pass to A3 who jumps from the backcourt and lands in the frontcourt. Violation?

2. Same but A2 catches with both feet in the backcourt and dribbles once in the frontcourt. A2 then does the pass to A3.

3. Midcourt line, division line or whatever people call it. Is the line neutral? By that I mean if A2 foot is on the line but not in the frontcourt is it still in the backcourt. Same with a dribble on the line and if the ref can’t tell if it is advanced do you wait for one more to tell if it is clearly over.

I think I saw somewhere here that only when dribbling does the 3 points count, is that true? If that is then I’m thinking 1 is a violation and 2 isn’t.
  1. We need to know more information about A2's other foot. If A2's other foot is:
    1. touching the backcourt, then A2 still has backcourt status, and when A2 catches the ball, the ball continues to have backcourt status.
    2. touching the frontcourt or is in the air, then A2 has frontcourt status, and when A2 catches the ball, the ball now has frontcourt status

When A3 catches the ball in the air, the ball now has backcourt status, since that is where A3 came from, and still is, because A3 hasn't landed anywhere else yet.

So if A2 did cause the ball to obtain frontcourt status, the touching by A3 becomes a violation.
  2. A2 dribbling the FC, but himself in the BC means that there has not been team control in the FC, therefore the pass to A3 in the BC is not a violation
  3. The division line is in the backcourt of the team touching the division line. The 3-points privision (both feet and the ball) apply to a dribbler crossing the division line, therefore you are correct that (1) is a violation (providing that A2's other foot is in the frontcourt or is airborne) and (2) is not a violation.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 11:13pm.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:52pm
In Time Out

Ok thanks for the replies. Just edited it. A2 has one foot in the backcourt and one in the front and passes to A3 who jumps from the backcourt and catches it in air and lands in the frontcourt.

3. A2 catches the pass with one foot in front one the in back. If A2 dribbles in the backcourt is it a violation? If not, after the dribble in the BC can he pass to the jumping A3 who lands from the back to the frontcourt.

Last edited by mutantducky; Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 11:56pm.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:54pm

Quote:
Ok thanks for the replies. Just edited it. A2 has one foot in the backcourt and one in the front and passes to A3 who jumps from the backcourt and catches it in air and lands in the frontcourt.
One thing to keep in mind is that the 10-second count continues. . . until A3 causes the ball to obtain frontcourt status. (In your sitch, this is when A3 lands in the FC.)
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 11:59pm
In Time Out

Just to clarify- if A2 foot in the first example is in the BC and the other is in the front, then it is not a violation to throw the pass to A3?
If A2 had both feet or one in the front and the other in the air without it having been in the front then that is a violation.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:03am

Quote:
Just to clarify- if A2 foot in the first example is in the BC and the other is in the front, then it is not a violation to throw the pass to A3?

If A2 had both feet or one in the front and the other in the air without it having been in the front then that is a violation.
Correct on both accounts.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 12:05am
In Time Out

ok thanks, then I guess 3 is ok as well.

3. A2 catches the pass with one foot in front one the in back. If A2 dribbles in the backcourt is it a violation? If not, after the dribble in the BC can he pass to the jumping A3 who lands from the back to the frontcourt.

let me edit this- too many bc stuff and I've been looking them up.. Same as 3-- After the dribble in the backcourt can A2 dribble in the front and then BC again if one foot remains in the backcourt. Or switch, dribble first in the back and then the front and back again in foot remains in the bc. So the pass to A3 would still be legal if A2 is a dribbler who needs to have 3 points in the FC.

Last edited by mutantducky; Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 12:10am.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok thanks, then I guess 3 is ok as well.

let me edit this- too many bc stuff and I've been looking them up.. Same as 3-- After the dribble in the backcourt can A2 dribble in the front and then BC again if one foot remains in the backcourt. Or switch, dribble first in the back and then the front and back again in foot remains in the bc. So the pass to A3 would still be legal if A2 is a dribbler who needs to have 3 points in the FC.
A is in the BC if either foot is in the BC or if A is in the air having left from the BC. During a dribble, all three points must be in the FC.

In all of your plays, the player is in the BC and NEVER goes to the FC. So, your plays are the equivalent of "A1 stands near the FT line in the BC and passes the ball to another player who is in the BC." That's obviously legal, and so are all your plays.

BTW, the division line is not "neutral". It's in both teams' BC.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

As Bob points out, the line is in the BC.

A player is in the BC until completely in the FC. For a dribbler, that means both feet and the ball. For a non-dribbler, that means something in the FC and nothing in the BC (similar to in bounds).
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 10:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
mutant, you can answer you own questions if you first determine A2's status (backcourt/frontcourt) first and then concern yourself with the subsequent actions.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 10:26am.