The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen a lot of kids (actually only girls' games) both JV and varsity, wherein the kids line up for free throws with their toes in the appropriate spaces but with their heels raised and extended over the neutral block between the first and second positions. The way I read the rules this is a violation as soon as the shooter takes the ball; but I'm not seeing it called. What up?
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Damn if I didn't ALMOST call that

Quote:
Originally posted by Hard
I have seen a lot of kids (actually only girls' games) both JV and varsity, wherein the kids line up for free throws with their toes in the appropriate spaces but with their heels raised and extended over the neutral block between the first and second positions. The way I read the rules this is a violation as soon as the shooter takes the ball; but I'm not seeing it called. What up?
It seems to be in fashion - displaying the female, or male, gastrocnemius, the heel tantalizingly arched over the block.

I swear I almost called it just this season . . . and I have been the first on my block to call some obscure stuff, but this one, I thought I'd say something to the coach first, then never got around to it. If, however, it's going to be an epidemic . . .

Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hard
Quite simply, it's not a concern. There's no advantage gained. I'm more concerned with players stepping into the lane prior to restrictions ending and with contact between players along the FT lane. Very simply put, it's a very petty thing, a game interrupter. I'm not going to play a guessing game, trying to ascertain whether the foot might be hovering over the neutral area or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Around here this happens more in girl's ball. I still can't figure out what kind of advantage she thinks she's getting by contorting her body that way!
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

It's called an: "I'm going to try to get a rebound but probably won't block anybody out to do it.....breath......pose". It's a very fashionable thing to do in girls basketball.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Take a second and explain that they have to be in their space during a free throw. I've done this a couple of times this year.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Take a second and explain that they have to be in their space during a free throw. I've done this a couple of times this year.
I've tried explaining this, but then get arguments back from the players. What's the best way to deal with this?
Old Mon Dec 26, 2005, 02:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
I've tried explaining this, but then get arguments back from the players. What's the best way to deal with this?
If it bothers you that much, just call it. That'll get their attention.

I'd check with a few expereienced guys in your association before you did that though, Mark. You don't want to be "that guy".
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Girls Ball

I have seen this on the womens side a lot, I think it gives them the thought that they have an edege on the other player. They also have a tendency to stick their hips out too. So I just watch them to make sure they dont violate.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
If they argue, call the violation. They'll figure it out.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Perhaps they're hoping the judges will award points for artistic impression rather than just technical merit, if the pose is elegant.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Well said. That's what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Perhaps they're hoping the judges will award points for artistic impression rather than just technical merit, if the pose is elegant.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
----------------------------------------------------------

Elegant? Noooooooooooo! Not the one's I've seen. Is this a universal chick thing these days?
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

Elegant? Noooooooooooo! Not the one's I've seen. Is this a universal chick thing these days? [/B][/QUOTE]

Take it from a girls coach, here are the universal chick things that happen all too often and drive me crazy...

constantly rolling, wrapping, twiddling, pushing, etc. at the shoulder straps of t-shirts, jerseys, or tank tops, no matter how thin the straps are to start with

constantly looking for ways to untuck their jersey, even if an official has just told them to tuck it back in

constantly fluffing, tossing, wiping, fingering ponytails, hair in eyes, braids, sweat bands

inability to stop licking and wiping the bottom of their sneakers when on the floor even though I have told them that it's
a) unhygienic
b) useless
c) looks nasty

I have a rule that forbids "posturing" in the blocks on free throws. We have a demonstration where my older girls mimic the behavior for my younger teams so they know that it doesn't add an advantage AND it looks stupid (plus it makes your butt look even bigger in the shorts when you stick it out and wave it like that when balancing on your tippy toes with one hip cocked at an angle), not to mention it looks like it hurts.

Coach GBert
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Coach GBert,
You forgot:
1. Continually rolling the waistband of their shorts to make the waists come down lower,
2. Telling the rereree it's OK to wear the elastic things that they use to hold their hair in a pony tail on their wrist because they are soft and won't hurt anyone.
3. Yelling, "Ball, ball, ball..." every time they guard someone on defense!
RR