The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
BI or Not??......and iPods

Play situation. A1 shoots, ball comes off the rim towards front of the basket. A2 comes down the lane, unchecked, goes up taps the ball and it goes in the basket. His arm motion continued in a forward motion and his hand gets caught in the net and actually causes the rim to bend and snap back. This happens while the ball is 'in the basket'.

Offensive BI or nothing?

Question 2: Player(s) wearing headphones/iPod during pre-game warmups. I don't see anything in the rulebook preventing this. What would you do, if anything, if a player wearing headphones was one of the captains for the captain's meeting and didn't remove headphones? Interested in the comments.....
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
What would you do, if anything, if a player wearing headphones was one of the captains for the captain's meeting and didn't remove headphones? Interested in the comments.....
I would look directly at him and move my mouth without saying anything until he took them off.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Play situation. A1 shoots, ball comes off the rim towards front of the basket. A2 comes down the lane, unchecked, goes up taps the ball and it goes in the basket. His arm motion continued in a forward motion and his hand gets caught in the net and actually causes the rim to bend and snap back. This happens while the ball is 'in the basket'.

Offensive BI or nothing?
I've got nothing.

Quote:
Question 2: Player(s) wearing headphones/iPod during pre-game warmups. I don't see anything in the rulebook preventing this. What would you do, if anything, if a player wearing headphones was one of the captains for the captain's meeting and didn't remove headphones? Interested in the comments.....
I would not do anything about it unless I recieved word not to allow it.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

We were instructed by the state (in anticipation of this situation) that if it cannot be worn during the game (excluding warm-up jerseys, etc), it cannot be worn before the game. This includes jewelry, ipods, etc...

-Josh
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Offensive BI or nothing?

1) BI

2) Make the player remove the items
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

1) If it's mostly below the ring, I'm not calling anything. Half way or more above the ring, then I would call BI.

2) Have them put it away.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
1) If it's mostly below the ring, I'm not calling anything. Half way or more above the ring, then I would call BI.
Why do you believe that it is okay to ignore the rule?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Not saying I disagree with the BI call, but can this OP in anyway be associated with an offensive player dunking the ball?

A lot of times on a dunk, when the ball is 'in the basket', the offensive player is grasping the rim or sometimes pulling it down, and/or even touching the net.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

On the iPod/earphones thing, I heard one official say that he would walk that player over to his coach and then tell the coach "I need a different team captain, one that can hear me."
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not saying I disagree with the BI call, but can this OP in anyway be associated with an offensive player dunking the ball?

A lot of times on a dunk, when the ball is 'in the basket', the offensive player is grasping the rim or sometimes pulling it down, and/or even touching the net.
There is a specific exception to the definition of basket interference listed in the rules book for dunking.

This clearly isn't a dunk, so that exception can't apply.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why do you believe that it is okay to ignore the rule?
I thought I might get a bite on this one. I certainly don’t believe it’s OK to ignore a rule. And I know what the rule says about the ball being “within” the basket.

4-6-1
Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 . . . Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

However, I also know the intent of the rule is to prevent the influencing the scoring of the shot when the ball meets the parameters defined by the rule. When a player has a hold of or touches the net when the ball is within the basket, 99.9 times out of a hundred the outcome of the scoring of the shot will not be modified.

By rule, we actually see BI once or twice a game in high school. Player shoots and a defender is coming on strong but late to block the shot. The shot bounces around above the ring and the defender lightly brushes the bottom of the net. No call. Cause it had no effect.
That’s my opinion on it anyway. I’m sure others will disagree.

Last edited by Vinski; Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 04:24pm.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
I thought I might get a bite on this one. I certainly don’t believe it’s OK to ignore a rule. And I know what the rule says about the ball being “within” the basket.

4-6-1
Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 . . . Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.

However, I also know the intent of the rule is to prevent the influencing the scoring of the shot when the ball meets the parameters defined by the rule. When a player has a hold of or touches the net when the ball is within the basket, 99.9 times out of a hundred the outcome of the scoring of the shot will not be modified.

By rule, we actually see BI once or twice a game in high school. Player shoots and a defender is coming on strong but late to block the shot. The shot bounces around above the ring and the defender lightly brushes the bottom of the net. No call. Cause it had no effect.
That’s my opinion on it anyway. I’m sure others will disagree.
1. Forget the philosophy and apply the black and white rule. Keep it simple.

2. The defender is allowed to contact the net, which is part of the basket, when the ball is ABOVE the ring. Calling BI in that situation would be incorrect by rule.