The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

First T, and it was on an official!!

I am a second year official, and up to this point I have not dinged up any coaches to this point. After having a really good JV game the night before, I come into my games this afternoon feeling pretty good.

During my first game, which was 6th grade girls, it was going all right until the 4th quarter, when both teams started full court pressing (yikes). As you can imagine, a lot of reaching, bumbling, stumbling. We called a few things, but most my partner and I let go.

Anyway, with about three minutes left down 2, one of team's inbounds the ball with a lob to their tallest player, she brings the ball down than shoots. I saw ball, coach saw hack. After a dead ball, he is irate; I go to calm him down, and he proceeds with a "You need to learn to officiate," but for some reason I let him go. While I am walking away, he says to me that I should be embarrassed, and that's when I ring him.

I would think that since he was an official he wouldn't have acted like that, but I guess I was wrong. How did I know he was an official?? Well, he started the game with a pullover that our association sells, and then when he took that off, he had an IAABO shirt on underneath. I guess he wanted my partner and I to realize that we had another official present.

Sorry for the long posting, just doing a little venting!!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 05:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss17 View Post
Anyway, with about three minutes left down 2, one of team's inbounds the ball with a lob to their tallest player, she brings the ball down than shoots. I saw ball, coach saw hack. After a dead ball, he is irate; I go to calm him down, and he proceeds with a "You need to learn to officiate," but for some reason I let him go. While I am walking away, he says to me that I should be embarrassed, and that's when I ring him.
You should have stuck him right there. Do not allow coaches to get personal with you. It is one thing to question a call or to have issue with a call, but that was too personal of a comment to let go at the 5th or 6th grade level. But that is something you will learn with experience. Your hesitation is understandable and not uncommon.

Quote:
I would think that since he was an official he wouldn't have acted like that, but I guess I was wrong. How did I know he was an official?? Well, he started the game with a pullover that our association sells, and then when he took that off, he had an IAABO shirt on underneath. I guess he wanted my partner and I to realize that we had another official present.

Sorry for the long posting, just doing a little venting!!

Welcome to the world of officiating.

This is not a unique or unusual situation at all. Many of us have had run ins with coaches that either claim to officiate or that we know officiate. It is nothing surprising at all.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 05:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
While I am walking away, he says to me that I should be embarrassed, and that's when I ring him.
Welcome.....and now that you've lost your "T virginity," there will be less hesitation in the future.

Way to take care of bidness!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Welcome To Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Of Basketball Officiating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Now that you've lost your T virginity.
No images, please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

You done good with this coach/official.

As mentioned earlier, any time a coach starts a statement with "You", most likely it is going to be followed by something that questions your ability to officiate and/or implies your cheating for the other team.

Then it is your turn to have the "You" statements.
You have a T.
You must remain seated.

and if the coach is a slow learner.... Your partner can add some "you" statements.
You have another T.
You must leave the gym.

P.S. Welcome to the forum and the fun we have.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
and now that you've lost your "T virginity,"
Isn't it ironic that this happens when you start, not stop, whacking?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:49pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Isn't it ironic that this happens when you start, not stop, whacking?

You got a sick mind Padgett....
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've found the best coach/officials are the ones who don't mention it.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 07:36pm
Administrator

I have a TF story that will have everybody falling down drunk from laughing.

When our, Andy, our younger son was in 3rd and 4th grade I coached his basketball team in the Toledo Park and Rec. League. This was a 10 & under league. The game were 6 min running clock quarters; the only time the clock stopped was for TO's, injuries and every whistle in the last minute of the game; and now pressing was allowed. Before the start of each quarter the HC of each team would come to center quarter with his five players and he and his counter part on the other team would match up their players: PG, C, and FW's.

It was the last game of the season. We had only won one game (no snide comments from the peanut gallery) and we were playing the team we had our only win against. I felt sorry for our opponents because they had not won a game and we were about 10 points up on them at the end of three quarters. But there HC was a nice guy who knew I was a basketball official. The TO between quarters ends, we have the AP Arrow, and we all walk out to center court to match up our players, something that takes about 20 sec at the most. We had just matched up our first players (the PG's) when the R sets the ball down at the division line and starts a five-second count. I looked toward him and told him that we had started lining up our players. And then it came like a bolt of lightning:

WHACK!!!

My opposing HC looked at me and said with note of suprise in his voice: "Did he just T you?" I responded in a shocked voice: "I think so!" And then we started laughing. The players started laughing and all of the parents started laughing, even the parents of our opponenst started yelling at the official. It is the only time in my life I did not feel sorry for the verbal abuse that an official received from the fans.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 07:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

At one of my rec games yesterday, there's a guy about 20 years old out on the court helping one of the teams warm up before the game while wearing a referee shirt. He also had on black shorts. I had just walked into the gym but I knew this kid wasn't my partner. My partner came in a few minutes later and asked me if I knew who that guy was. I told him I did not, but I guessed he was probably some player's older brother. Neither one of us knew why he had on a referee shirt, but my partner decided to make sure he wasn't going to sit on the bench that way if he was going to be an AC. I'm not quite sure what difference it would make but my partner was adamant so he told that coach.

The guy sat about 3 rows up when the game started. About midway through Q2, he was really complaining about the calls and my partner told that coach to "control his spectators". The coach did say something to the guy but he kept it up and started to get personal, not with me, but with my partner. I guess he resented my partner directing that coach to make sure he wasn't going to be on the bench. Finally my partner told him to get out of the gym and to "take your Foot Locker shirt with you". I thought it was a pretty funny remark.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 09:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Forget Trigger ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Get out of the gym and to take your Foot Locker shirt with you...
and the horse you rode in on.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Quote:
now that you've lost your "T virginity,"
My first T was to a player that said to me casually, as he was trotting back up the floor after scoring a lay up, "Ref, I hear your cell phone again, you already missed four calls."
I did admit to my partner that it was kind of witty.
Unacceptable, nonetheless.
The kid did apologize to me later in game.

First T to a coach was for his use of profanity... "That call was a load of horse-$$$$."
It was my partner that had made the call that fired-up the coach, but I happened to be closest to the coach when he yelled it.
He did not apologize later.

Paul
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've found the best coach/officials are the ones who don't mention it.
Disagree. The best ones are those who don't coach.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 08:32am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
I would have reported this to the association and your local IAABO board. This would be entirely unacceptable in our area. We don't have shirts that identify our association, other than the black tank tops we can wear under our stripes, but we've been told that's only an undershirt and nothing else. I heard a story where one of our officials coached his kid's summer league team wearing that tank top, and got scolded by the association board for doing so.