The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Washington v. USC

Anybody watching this game, play that just happened around 17:30 mark of first half? A1 goes up for a jump shot around the elbow and B1 knocks it out of his hand on the way up. Ball goes towards center line and A1 retreats with B1 chasing..A1 jumps from his FC, catches the ball in the air and lands in BC...no BC violation called.... Did I drink too much vino this evening?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Anybody watching this game, play that just happened around 17:30 mark of first half? A1 goes up for a jump shot around the elbow and B1 knocks it out of his hand on the way up. Ball goes towards center line and A1 retreats with B1 chasing..A1 jumps from his FC, catches the ball in the air and lands in BC...no BC violation called.... Did I drink too much vino this evening?
Not watching but...

The question to be asked is was there a shot attempt?

If the answer is yes, then there is no team control when the shot is attempted. The rule allows any person to gain control of ball while in the air and then land in the back court.

If the anser is no, then there should be a whistle.

My guess is the referee deemed that there was an attempt for a shot.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

All kinds of good stuff in this game already! SC kid just tech'd for hanging on the rim...he came in for rebound and ball bounced off the rim to Washington, but there were two Washington guys standing under the rim so SC kid grabbed and hung til they cleared...not sure I agree with this one, there were clearly two guys underneath him and he actually waited until they started the other way to let go giving them an advantage until official blew it dead...tough call and have to see it I understand, but wouldn't you give benefit of the doubt on this type of play? Got Floyd out of his jacket he was not happy!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
All kinds of good stuff in this game already! SC kid just tech'd for hanging on the rim...he came in for rebound and ball bounced off the rim to Washington, but there were two Washington guys standing under the rim so SC kid grabbed and hung til they cleared...not sure I agree with this one, there were clearly two guys underneath him and he actually waited until they started the other way to let go giving them an advantage until official blew it dead...tough call and have to see it I understand, but wouldn't you give benefit of the doubt on this type of play?
I understand why this was called, but I do not think it would have mattered to anyone if the official passed. Then again, that is easy to say with replay.

Quote:
Got Floyd out of his jacket he was not happy!
And this is new why?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Geez rough first half for this crew....bang-bang block/charge and C immediately goes PC and L immediately goes block, neither with any sort of prelminary signal (fist)....and we have the dreaded blarge....
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is a blarge!!!!!

Wow, the commentators know nothing. Just sad how dumb they are.

And you cannot go to the video dumbazz!!!

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Not watching but...

The question to be asked is was there a shot attempt?

If the answer is yes, then there is no team control when the shot is attempted. The rule allows any person to gain control of ball while in the air and then land in the back court.

If the anser is no, then there should be a whistle.

My guess is the referee deemed that there was an attempt for a shot.
Don't agree with this, 9-3 makes an exception for a jump ball and during the throw-in, but in this case A1 established team control in the FC when he left the ground from the FC and caught the ball...landed in the BC I have a violation...but again I am three LARGE glasses of Cab deep tonight...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Wow, the commentators know nothing. Just sad how dumb they are.

And you cannot go to the video dumbazz!!!

Peace
Yeah they are ridiculous...I love how they are absolutely certain that they are right and the officials are idiots..
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And this is new why?

Peace
Just a bad omen that early in the game...and the bad karma paid off with the BLARGE!
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah they are ridiculous...I love how they are absolutely certain that they are right and the officials are idiots..
What were they saying? That you can't have a double foul on a blarge?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
What were they saying? That you can't have a double foul on a blarge?
No, we were commenting on the commentators on the game which basically said that the officials had to pick one (foul over the other). And the commentators made it sound like the officials could get together and make a decision and even suggested that they could look at the tape (which they cannot by rule).

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, we were commenting on the commentators on the game which basically said that the officials had to pick one (foul over the other). And the commentators made it sound like the officials could get together and make a decision and even suggested that they could look at the tape (which they cannot by rule).

Peace
Yeah, I realized you guys were talking about the commentators. I was wondering what they were saying that was making them so clueless since I didn't see the game at all. Thanks for the info.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't agree with this, 9-3 makes an exception for a jump ball and during the throw-in, but in this case A1 established team control in the FC when he left the ground from the FC and caught the ball...landed in the BC I have a violation...but again I am three LARGE glasses of Cab deep tonight...
You are right that the try for goal doesn't matter as the three exceptions do not include gaining control from a missed try.

BTW if the ball was blocked out of the player's hands before it was released on the try, then team control would continue anyway.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You are right that the try for goal doesn't matter as the three exceptions do not include gaining control from a missed try.

BTW if the ball was blocked out of the player's hands before it was released on the try, then team control would continue anyway.
This last point is the one I was not sure about (even though it was BC regardless) - so if the ball does not leave his hand it is not considered a try even though he gathered and came up and it was around his chest on the way up when it was poked out? Just trying to figure out how this would be different if he got the ball to the top and had his shot blocked? TC continues here? Thanks..
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

TC continues untill release on a try.
Richland, WA