The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

not much help to partners last night

I'm C in front of home bench, coach yells for a timeout in middle of action in paint. I recognize TO by raising fist and second blunder was not announcing loudly enough the TO as I was distraced asking coach what he wanted. Partners saw the raised fist and as we were in bonus, started lining teams up to shoot, which home would have loved as they they were down by a couple with under two minutes to go. After I report TO, and walk away table is calling me back and wants to know who foul was on. HC then firmly asks why we aren't shooting as everyone is confused.

I know him well and have had 4 games with him already this year and I explain I blew it by raising fist, and never had a foul, to which he said "fair enough"

That said, it wasn't that big of a deal, and I'm making more of it than it was, yet I apologized to partners for awkwardness of the confusion and was ticked as I had a good game going up until then.

I've never done that before and am wondering why it happened. Typically on time outs in very critical situations( during a trap or just before a tieup) I'll blow and point with a step towards bench for effect, not the proper mechanic, but effective. Somehow I was thrown off by the close proximity to coach and his sense of urgency.

So, I'm telling myself, he can be in a hurry, I can't. As Simon and Garfunkel like to say "Slow down, you're moving to fast"

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Jan 21, 2009 at 02:17pm.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I hope that's the worst mistake you make all season.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Know the feeling - I made an awful call Monday night from across the floor that just put my partner in a bad position - apologized - what more can you do. Brain farts happen I guess!