The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Working in tight quarters

So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline. One place I worked the other night had maybe 2 feet between the endlines and the wall. As the Lead, I felt like I couldn't see a damn thing in the paint due to my close proximity to the players. I tried backing off to the wide side but it had little effect. Anyone have any tips?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline. One place I worked the other night had maybe 2 feet between the endlines and the wall. As the Lead, I felt like I couldn't see a damn thing in the paint due to my close proximity to the players. I tried backing off to the wide side but it had little effect. Anyone have any tips?
Not many tips, but I feel your pain. I called one last weekend with about 3 feet on each endline. One end had the stage the other the entrance.

I found that if I moved toward the sideline (away from the lane) and almost straddled the endline, I had a better view. My partner (who I call a lot of 3-whistle with) kept mentioning that it seemed odd and he felt out of sync the whole time. I didn't feel the same way, but once you get off balance, it can be difficult to get back to normal.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline..... Anyone have any tips?
Yeah, lose some weight in your butt. Huh - I should talk.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 11:31pm
#thereferee99

at the first free throw...

Quote:
.... ask the players politely to play the game above the block tonight... "imaginary baseline tonight, guys"....

its worth a shot!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
That is exactly our gym for the most part all the way around. Very difficult to get good angles as L. Just the nature of the beast.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I have missed many a call because of these crappy short endlines. I have found that officiating from "no man's lands"* is permissible in these situations. Sometimes I have also gone more on-court than I normally would. Go to where you need to see the play. And ask your P to be a strong Trail.

* "no man's land" is not referring to blowing your whistle from an area where no man is. . . oh nevermind , but rather it is referring to standing in the key area extended beyond the endline.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 03:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline. One place I worked the other night had maybe 2 feet between the endlines and the wall.

And then the cheerleaders get mad because you won't let them stand there.

Lonesome Dove