The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Working in tight quarters (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51055-working-tight-quarters.html)

DonInKansas Mon Jan 19, 2009 08:35pm

Working in tight quarters

So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline. One place I worked the other night had maybe 2 feet between the endlines and the wall. As the Lead, I felt like I couldn't see a damn thing in the paint due to my close proximity to the players. I tried backing off to the wide side but it had little effect. Anyone have any tips?

Scratch85 Mon Jan 19, 2009 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 570288)
So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline. One place I worked the other night had maybe 2 feet between the endlines and the wall. As the Lead, I felt like I couldn't see a damn thing in the paint due to my close proximity to the players. I tried backing off to the wide side but it had little effect. Anyone have any tips?

Not many tips, but I feel your pain. I called one last weekend with about 3 feet on each endline. One end had the stage the other the entrance.

I found that if I moved toward the sideline (away from the lane) and almost straddled the endline, I had a better view. My partner (who I call a lot of 3-whistle with) kept mentioning that it seemed odd and he felt out of sync the whole time. I didn't feel the same way, but once you get off balance, it can be difficult to get back to normal.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 19, 2009 08:50pm

Quote:

So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline..... Anyone have any tips?

Yeah, lose some weight in your butt. :D Huh - I should talk.

referee99 Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:31pm

at the first free throw...

Quote:

.... ask the players politely to play the game above the block tonight... "imaginary baseline tonight, guys"....

its worth a shot!

shishstripes Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:14am

That is exactly our gym for the most part all the way around. Very difficult to get good angles as L. Just the nature of the beast.

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 20, 2009 06:41am

Quote:

I have missed many a call because of these crappy short endlines. I have found that officiating from "no man's lands"* is permissible in these situations. Sometimes I have also gone more on-court than I normally would. Go to where you need to see the play. And ask your P to be a strong Trail.

* "no man's land" is not referring to blowing your whistle from an area where no man is. . . oh nevermind :o , but rather it is referring to standing in the key area extended beyond the endline.

just another ref Tue Jan 20, 2009 03:23pm

Quote:

So I've got multiple gyms where I work that have very little room behind the endline. One place I worked the other night had maybe 2 feet between the endlines and the wall.

And then the cheerleaders get mad because you won't let them stand there.