Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
As an expert in the field of headbandology, I believe that these head bands are legal.
Could be. I gots to get me a better monitor - although others have told me I need a new set of eyes.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_lurker View Post
It has nothing to do with the game of basketball. Black or white head band, neither will distract from the game. The rule makers, I believe, are out of their minds. Next will they decide to dictate nail polish and hair style? It's a waste of everyones time worrying about that sort of thing.
Without commenting on the actual play in question, I disagree. If the rules makers want us to take care of this, it's our job. Not our job to disregard rules we think are stupid.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Could be. I gots to get me a better monitor - although others have told me I need a new set of eyes.
Funny, many coaches give me that same suggestion.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

One way to get around this......I'm color blind
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

One reason I decided it was a good thing to enforce the uniform rules is that a lot of teams from my area make it to regional and state play-offs in the post season. At that level, you can bet the officials are going to pay attention to the little stuff. Better to iron out the uniform/headband/hair control things before post-season play.

My wife who coaches basketball, track, and X-country told me about a runner (not hers) who was disqualified at the state level after placing in a race while wearing a small bracelet that she had been permitted to wear at lower levels of competition.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_lurker View Post
Oh, I thought away had to wear black headbands and home white. Is that not true?
Without trying to be too critical, I'd say that it's better to post a question thant to claim that the officials made a "mistake", say it was good that they ignored a rule, then show that you don't know the rule in the first place.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Runner Disqualified In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
My wife who coaches basketball, track, and X-country told me about a runner who was disqualified at the state level after placing in a race while wearing a small bracelet that she had been permitted to wear at lower levels of competition.
We had a first place runner disqualified in a state open track sprint final last year for an illegal uniform. I mostly blame the coach, who should have known the rules, maybe the runner, if he knew, and chose to ignore the rules, and some blame must go to any officials who may have "passed" on this during the regular track season, and sectional meets.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Recently heard this story:

Girls V game. In warm-ups one referee sees that a girl's sportsbra does not match the uniform color and insists the girl not be allowed to wear it as it is an undershirt.

He was overruled.

And, it was said, the offending garment was described to be barely visible. [Don't even want to go there.] A future member of the NF fashion police, no doubt.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Recently heard this story:

Girls V game. In warm-ups one referee sees that a girl's sportsbra does not match the uniform color and insists the girl not be allowed to wear it as it is an undershirt.

He was overruled.

And, it was said, the offending garment was described to be barely visible. [Don't even want to go there.] A future member of the NF fashion police, no doubt.
My understanding is that the color of the bras is irrelevant, even if some is visible. The committee DOESN'T WANT you to go there!!!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I have tried twice to get an answer to this. This makes three times and my last. If we are taking this thread to the "bra" stage surely we can take it to the tights stage. Can a player wear tights only (for religous reasons) as the pants to his uniform? They are not worn below the uniform shorts.

3.5.6 sitB

I know that Nevada, Bob and BBRef have opinions (all of which I value) on this. Help me out, is it legal?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I just really don't want to start having to inspect codpieces...
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:03am
In Time Out

oh what is the rule on a girl wearing a bow- I guess it was a bow. But just the back of her hair like a strungy or whatever the heck they are called. Doesn't go around her whole head.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I just really don't want to start having to inspect codpieces...
Cracking up!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
oh what is the rule on a girl wearing a bow- I guess it was a bow. But just the back of her hair like a strungy or whatever the heck they are called. Doesn't go around her whole head.
If it is a hair control device, it is legal. If it is a head decoration, it is illegal. Determine which one it it is and rule accordingly.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 07:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

And Boys Can't Use A 28.5 Ball Either ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
The color of the bras is irrelevant, even if some is visible.
It's only irrelevant in a girls game. NFHS 11-3-2-b states that in a boys game, the brassiere straps must be the white, black, beige or a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)