The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

How Do You Slow It All Down?

First post. 1st year (older) official. My question to the veterans is this..what do you do (maybe it just comes w/ more experience) to "slow the game down". I don't mean the actual game going slower..but just how do you learn to see all the action at a slower pace in your mind and eye? I sometimes feel as if I'm getting "overun" by the action and not seeing all the things I should be seeing...to the point of losing track of what team is going in what direction. I know this probably sounds like total incompetence. I'm sure a lot has to do with being a rookie... but sometimes it just seems like a blur. I feel like I'm doing an OK job...but I'm certainly not kidding myself as to how much I'm either missing or just plain not aware of. I am in a state association as an applicant, so I am geting classroom and some floor training etc. But at my level we have to get our own games, and to date have yet to work with a partner who is board certified veteran who can give me some constructive feedback. Advice? Tips?
PS I've learned a great deal already from reading pertinent (to my experience and level) posts on this Forum...so my thanks to all of you.
Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

For one, yes, it does slow down with experience. I've heard pro NFL players talk about getting used to the speed of the game, and say how it has 'slowed down' for them in time.

I'd suggest always knowing what your primary responsibility is, and trusting your partner to watch what he should be watching. I can't believe how many experienced officials I see make calls out of their area. When a ref is baseline, and he calls a travel by the point guard at the top of the key, I wonder whose eyes are on the 8 guys banging in the lane?
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 08:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
First post. 1st year (older) official. My question to the veterans is this..what do you do (maybe it just comes w/ more experience) to "slow the game down". I don't mean the actual game going slower..but just how do you learn to see all the action at a slower pace in your mind and eye? I sometimes feel as if I'm getting "overun" by the action and not seeing all the things I should be seeing...to the point of losing track of what team is going in what direction. I know this probably sounds like total incompetence. I'm sure a lot has to do with being a rookie... but sometimes it just seems like a blur. I feel like I'm doing an OK job...but I'm certainly not kidding myself as to how much I'm either missing or just plain not aware of. I am in a state association as an applicant, so I am geting classroom and some floor training etc. But at my level we have to get our own games, and to date have yet to work with a partner who is board certified veteran who can give me some constructive feedback. Advice? Tips?
PS I've learned a great deal already from reading pertinent (to my experience and level) posts on this Forum...so my thanks to all of you.
Thanks.
Experience. And that's pretty much it, imho.

Watching video helps - can you get someone to tape the games that you work, so that when you watch them again, you can contrast what you saw while working with what you see while watching the video?

Are you doing an age group that is too old for you right now? Maybe if you worked an age group where you find that the game doesn't move too fast.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Having the game "slow down" is a reference that you frequently hear from NFL and College football players.

Therefore, I am a first year working with experienced HS officials, and have asked my partners this exact same question. I ask if the game "slows down for them after awhile".

Surprisingly the answer that I get is "not really".
They say that they are able to anticipate better, and that the calls become instinctive/automatic.

I have about 20-25 Freshman and JV games under my belt, and I'm starting to feel much more confident, in control, and decisive. I ask for suggestions and watch varsity games, which is helpful. But you need the reps.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
First post. 1st year (older) official. My question to the veterans is this..what do you do (maybe it just comes w/ more experience) to "slow the game down".
I take meds.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

If the game is moving too fast in a blur, you're probably trying to watch too much. Concentrate on the two (or sometimes one) closest competitive matchups and trust your partners on the other ones.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I take meds.
We know that! But what do you do to make the game slow down?
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think it only comes with experience and seeing plays. The more you understand mechanics and what you need to watch, the better. There is no magic formula for experience. You have to work a lot of games and make the most of each experience.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
I guess what we are saying about slowing the game down, the answer seems to be time. Time seeing lots of plays happen right in front of you and seeing them as a partner and a spectator.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

One of the biggest things for me was to start trusting my partners more - especially when I'm off the ball. Many younger referees get in the habit of ball watching, thinking that they need to call every violation or watch every dribble of the basketball. This is no where close to being true! Thank goodness for our partners who can help in this area. Practice this next game - when the ball is in your area, referee the ball play. When it is not, look away from the ball into your primary area and watch your players off ball. They will let you know where the ball is by the way they are positioned and what they are doing, but you can also keep the ball in your periphal vision if you need.

Funny things will start to happen - you'll see illegal screans, you'll see two handed shoves in the back. Sometimes you can miss things too - example last night I was lead off ball and ball went OOB baseline from top of the lane opposite me. I had NO CLUE who had hit it - I had a nice post match up and was reffering these players. I tweeted raised my hand and looked at C for help. He gave a quick point and we went white ball. He had a great look because the ball was in his primary.

One other thing you could try is to focus on the closest 2-3 matchups. You don't need to ref all 10 players, just 4-6 of them. Let you partner earn their game fee.

Experience too helps. I would try to go to any summer camps you have in the area - referee or team camps who would need officials. Nothing like understanding situations that arise in games from first hand experience. Stay with it, it will come you ya......

Last edited by derwil; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 11:34pm.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 11:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
We know that! But what do you do to make the game slow down?
I just imagine I'm on a 60s acid trip. Wait - did I say "imagine"?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
One of the biggest things for me was to start trusting my partners more - especially when I'm off the ball. Many younger referees get in the habit of ball watching, thinking that they need to call every violation or watch every dribble of the basketball. This is no where close to being true! Thank goodness for our partners who can help in this area. Practice this next game - when the balkl is in your area, referee the ball play. When it is not, look away from the ball into your primary area and watch your players off ball. They will let you know where the ball is by the way they are positioned and what they are doing, but you can also keep the ball in your periphal vision if you need.
This is a big one and one I've heard from quite a few experienced officials.

I got my first real compliment from a veteran Varsity official the other night. BJV, Home team down three, bringing the ball up the court. Home player shoots a three pointer for the last second shot and the defender floats into him, bumping him. I call the foul, shot is missed. Kid missed one of the FT so the game is over.

We leave the floor, and the first thing he says in the locker room when I ask for any pointers is "I've worked with guys a lot more experienced than you that would have watched that ball going towards the basket instead of staying with the shooter. Nice work." Made me feel like a million bucks.

Funny thing is, I'm standing there watching him shoot the FT and in the back of my mind is, "If he makes all three, Padgett will have me strung up"
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

One way to speed up the experience process is to go and watch other games that you're not reffing. That way you can let your mind look forward or backward without the fear of screwing things up. You can practice the thinking procedures you need to learn. Also, if you can go into the refs' location at half-time and at the end of the game, it gives you a chance to ask questions, and to hear what they think was important.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

I'm a third year official, so I've recently been in your shoes. The game has progressively slowed down for me since about the middle of last year. I have a long way to go, but I do feel more relaxed.

Here's my input:

1) Study the rules. Coming to this site has really helped my understanding of situations, rules, and intent. Plus it has given me some yuks.
2) Practice your signals-it'll help.
3) As lead-get off the end line and lean back slightly on your heels-it'll slow you down just a bit.
4) I learned this here and think I have the phrase right-officiate the defense. An example would be a quick turnover w/you as the lead booking down court. Find the defender closest to the ball handler first and then expand your range of vision-as opposed to trying to pick everything up all at once.
5) As mentioned by others, experience. Work a lot of youth games.
6) ***My biggest change happened at the beginning of this season. I decided I would no longer sweat what the crowd was saying. I stopped second guessing my decisions. I continue to strive not to make mistakes, but I've accepted the fact that I'll make them. This has also helped w/my ability to work w/coaches.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

MPLA, Juggling, Melb, Zebra, JRutledge, agr8, Derwill, Don, Juulie, Dan74.....great advice, great tips...ALL of it helpful. Thanks.