The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Coach at Table

During a game last night, 2nd half, called a foul, had a guard in the paint when a kid went to the bucket, was hammered by the guy guarding him who has 3 or 4 fouls on him, I gave a foul to the guard in the paint for a block. Report my foul, in two man I go to trail, FT'r makes both and we are going the other way, as new lead I am looking back and see the Home HC at the table, I whistle, stop play,go to the table, coach is complaining I gave the foul 23 not his other guy. My partner tells me afterwards his is really scratching his head as this was 23's first foul and would have been 4th or 5th on the other kid. Well the coach does his little complaining,I give the explaination the block by 23 in the paint and I force him to take a time out.

After the game, we had a JV official stay and talk to us, he said when I saw the coach at the table I knew that I either going to T him up or grant him a TO. I choose the TO even though there was no horn to stop play by timer, as I have been too T-happy of late.

Some coaches have no clue what is going on in a game sometimes, granted this coaches team was down by 20+ points

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused...did the coach request a time out? How can you force him to take one?
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 08:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Not sure of the exact wording, but a coach can request that the book be checked for an error. If there is an error, and it can be corrected, then it is corrected. If there is no error, then charge a timeout.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Jess,
Perhaps in the future you will penalize the proper kid and then this confusion won't occur. Don't try to do anyone any favors. That's beyond the scope of your job.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Double foul, should have given one to each, but who ever calls those

Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
Call the obvious.

PS You probably meant a multiple foul.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:37am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Not sure of the exact wording, but a coach can request that the book be checked for an error. If there is an error, and it can be corrected, then it is corrected. If there is no error, then charge a timeout.
Hey is this a rule in FIBA as well Juggler?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I actually called my first one Sat. And, as been said on this Forum before....it cleaned the banging in the lane right up!
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Doesn't that only apply to correctable error situations, and not just an error with the scorebook, which seems to be the case here?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Well the way I see it, if the Head Coach is at the table, you have three options, beat the timer to his horn to call a coaches time-out that he doesn't know he needs to call, Wait for the timer to blow his horn or give him a T for being at the table.

In this game I did, the coach had been complaining all game and I was trying very hard not to T him up.

And Yes, Nevada, My bad, Multiple foul.

Has anyone ever given a Multiple Foul?

Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Hey is this a rule in FIBA as well Juggler?
There is no such rule; each person involved in the game can point out possible correctable errors (actually the rules don't say who can). There is no "penalty" for pointing out a possible correctable error which, it turns out, isn't. Well, it depends on how the possible error is pointed out, even if it was actually an error.

Ciao
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In this game I did, the coach had been complaining all game and I was trying very hard not to T him up.
Why were you trying very hard not to T up a coach who had been complaining all game? Seems counter-intuitive.

I tend to have less patience with a coach who's been whining all game...
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Why were you trying very hard not to T up a coach who had been complaining all game? Seems counter-intuitive.

I tend to have less patience with a coach who's been whining all game...
NFHS 5-8-4
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:
Responds to the scorer’s signal to grant a coach’s request that a correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorer’s table where a coach of each team may be present.

Does this situation even qualify as a scoring mistake? Also, could even the TO have been avoided by not stopping play? Would the coach possibly have gone back to his box after checking with the scorer and learning that the scorer recorded what you reported?

Just thinking "out loud"
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Well I am just Clint Eastwood in a Western, normally pretty quick on the T trigger so I was trying to be out of character and try to lay off the T.

I have been drawn to the table a number of times when the table questioned the whom the foul was on, you 3 or 33. Sometimes this is at the request of a coach.

Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I am just Clint Eastwood in a Western, normally pretty quick on the T trigger
"I don't think it's funny you laughing. See, my mule thinks your laughing at him. Now, if you were to apologize, like I know you will . . . (dead men follow)" Man I love those spaghetti westerns. Sorry, I couldn't resist.